Pirate king rda getting hot... help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
so I just bought a vandy vape pulse 80w squonk mod, along with it I bought the pirate king rda. Got home and built it all up. (Had rta’s For a while, new to squonk/dripper) and noticed that after 2/3 hits the rda is quite hot, to the point of burning my lips. It’s burning at 3.6v 0.20ohms...... have I built wrong, or is this normal?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do you normally vape at 60 watts? I typically vape around only 30 watts. 60 watts would likely burn my lips, too. So have you tried vaping at a much lower wattage setting?

Is that a metal drip tip? Heat from the coil is easily transferred metal to metal. Maybe replace a metal tip with a delrin plastic tip.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Those are some pretty massive dual coils for a relatively short atty. Smaller coils would help. And like Baitude said, if it is a metal DT swap it for a delrin/resin. My RTA never gets hot but my short RDAs can get really hot. Also it looks like brass which always seemed to get hotter than other metals. I have some gorgeous brass caps that I don't use for that reason.

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah the drip tip is plastic, I do like to vape high usually, I have turned it down to 30/40 Watts it does make a slight difference. Do you know if it’s possible to only build this as a single coil? Would that help at all? Also the coils in it are the coils I got with the rda.... I will try some smaller coils and see if that helps

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
While building a single coil would help with the heat it's likely it would be detrimental to flavor, that atty isn't built for that.
I'd try to remove 2 wraps from each coil, that'd put you at around 0.14Ω and reduce the mass by about 30%.
Brass conducts heat about 15 times better than stainless steel so you're likely to have a more direct heat transfer from the coils to the outside (it should also cool down faster than SS).

What gauges are your current coils made of? You may have to try lower mass than that to further reduce heat.
A simple experiment would be with plain round wire (eg 28g 6 wraps spaced) just to see if anything changes.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Short RDA and heavy coils, it would be surprising if it didn't get hot to be honest. My Pulse 24 got insanely hot with 5 puffs and smaller coils.
You could try smaller coils to begin with, or draw harder (you need a lot or air hitting the coils to keep them from getting too hot).
Also, try other 810 drip tips, a taller one may keep your lips away from the top-cap (may affect the flavor though).

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
not too sure as it the coils that came with it, I don’t wrap them myself, I normally just buy the pre wrapped coils as I’m still fairly new to it all
All good, no shame in being new and it really is the responsibility of the manufacturers to start labeling all coils they provide.
I'd try to remove 2 wraps from each coil and give it another go. Do you have drill bits? I guess you need either a 2.5mm or 3mm one as a mandrel to unwind the wraps without damaging the coil (I think that's 40g and 32g drill gauge but don't quote me on that :D).

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I know that’s what made me get it tbh the detail on it is just amazing, it’s all solid brass. And thank you for your help, I’ll definately give it a try, if all else fails I’ll but 2 smaller coils lol
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/
Battery safety
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

• Useful

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I know that’s what made me get it tbh the detail on it is just amazing, it’s all solid brass. And thank you for your help, I’ll definately give it a try, if all else fails I’ll but 2 smaller coils lol
AVS has sample packs. 5 different coils 10 pcs. so you can try out different ones and see what you like. I buy spools from them and their quality is excellent. They only do SS though.
Advanced Vape Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread