Rda noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So I did my first single coil build on my wolverine rda, saturated my coil and started vaping at 20w, and it tasted so bad! I used the pre built coils that came with it. Any suggestions on how to do this properly? Should I try kanthal coils? My mod is a vaporesso luxe nano btw.
Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome,

What was the final resistance of the coil?
What did you use for wick?
Did you pulse/dry burn the coil, before wicking, to remove any hot spots and burn off any manufacturing residues?
What is the nicotine strength of the juice you are using?
What topper/tank had you been using with the Luxe nano before the wolverine?

Could you post a photo or two of your build?

Cheers
I

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
Hi and welcome,

What was the final resistance of the coil?
What did you use for wick?
Did you pulse/dry burn the coil, before wicking, to remove any hot spots and burn off any manufacturing residues?
What is the nicotine strength of the juice you are using?
What topper/tank had you been using with the Luxe nano before the wolverine?

Could you post a photo or two of your build?

Cheers
I
Hi Izan, final resistance was 0.51, I took some wraps of the coil reduced it to 3 wraps, still the same. I used to reboot cotton, and Drs new York cheesecake to prime it, think the nicotine strength is 6mg , it was a 25ml shortfill with a 18mg nic shot added. I had the skrr tank on it before the wolverine. Thanks.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
Just posting a pic of the coil right now just to get a better idea of what I'm doing wrong lol. I pulsed and fired out the coil before wicking and used fire bolt cotton.

Attachments

• 20190730_195156.jpg
    20190730_195156.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Should the airflow be right next to the wick? Because that's what I did
Should the airflow be right next to the wick? Because that's what I did
The wolverine is a mud-top air flow design. You may want to elevate the coil slightly from the posts to get some air under the coil, as well as directly to it. Also having the coil as close to the barrel without overly warming it might be a good idea.

3 wraps on a factory Clapton seems light. Try less wattage, as you may be over heating a tiny piece of metal.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I'm unsure of the composition of firebolt, but it looks to me like that may be a tad too much wick. The upper right side appears to be obstructing air from that quadrant of the coil. Did you thin the tails?
Disregard my point about proximity to the barrel. Sorry, doesn't apply to single coil.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’d suggest watching a couple videos about that atty, see how high the reviewers place the coil and how much cotton to use. Looks like you have a lot of cotton in there. Also atties should all be thoroughly washed before use. Lots of manufacturing residue will give a bad taste.

For the most part it’s just a matter of trial and error. Just keep tweaking to find what suits you best.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
I’d suggest watching a couple videos about that atty, see how high the reviewers place the coil and how much cotton to use. Looks like you have a lot of cotton in there. Also atties should all be thoroughly washed before use. Lots of manufacturing residue will give a bad taste.

For the most part it’s just a matter of trial and error. Just keep tweaking to find what suits you best.
Thanks, I'm using fire bolt cotton, I only used one string if that makes sense?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Thanks, I'm using fire bolt cotton, I only used one string if that makes sense?
Your wick is not performing well because of too much cotton bunched up at the ends of the coil. That is why it is not working for you. In my experience you don't need that much and the cotton should not be bunched up like that. As @DeloresRose suggested finding a video for wicking your RDA would help you.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
Your wick is not performing well because of too much cotton bunched up at the ends of the coil. That is why it is not working for you. In my experience you don't need that much and the cotton should not be bunched up like that. As @DeloresRose suggested finding a video for wicking your RDA would help you.
Ah ok I get you now lol thank you!!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Rachel271 , I just snapped a photo of an RDA I wicked this morning. I've been vaping on it most of the day so the wick has settled into place and is working great for me. Just thought a pic may help you...
IMG_1027.JPG

ETA: That is a Creek RDA with a 3.5mm clapton. The Creek has a pretty deep juice well.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
@Rachel271 , I just snapped a photo of an RDA I wicked this morning. I've been vaping on it most of the day so the wick has settled into place and is working great for me. Just thought a pic may help you...
View attachment 829641

ETA: That is a Creek RDA with a 3.5mm clapton. The Creek has a pretty deep juice well.
Thanks, definitely looks better than mine lol, sorry if this is a stupid question, but does it matter that my mod is a vaporesso luxe nano, would I need something with more power?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks, definitely looks better than mine lol, sorry if this is a stupid question, but does it matter that my mod is a vaporesso luxe nano, would I need something with more power?
That really shouldn't matter if the mod has enough output to suit your vaping style. I am curious why you decided to try taking a wrap out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread