Rda noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
That really shouldn't matter if the mod has enough output to suit your vaping style. I am curious why you decided to try taking a wrap out though.
I showed my build to a guy on a Facebook group and he said if it take some of the wraps out it might be better. I like lots of airflow and good airflow lol

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I showed my build to a guy on a Facebook group and he said if it take some of the wraps out it might be better. I like lots of airflow and good airflow lol

The theory behind that, I suspect, was a belief that your mod didn't have enough power to heat the whole coil.

My suspicion is, if you took the same length of wire you have, and twist it tighter, around a smaller jig, you'd end up with more usable surface area..

I am guessing that by the time the outer part of the coil is warm, the inner wrap is scorching the wick.

You're on the right path though, and what works for me may not for you.

I still have a bad habbit of using wattage as a metaphoric sledge hammer to heat modern art.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Thanks, definitely looks better than mine lol, sorry if this is a stupid question, but does it matter that my mod is a vaporesso luxe nano, would I need something with more power?
No vaping questions are dumb ones (there have been some, but not yours lol).
You Nano will work fine. The coil you took a wrap or two out of will probably vape hot. If so just install another coil with the resistance you are aiming for and rewick.
Are you are shooting for 20w as per your initial post?

• Informative
Reactions: HigherStateD

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
The theory behind that, I suspect, was a belief that your mod didn't have enough power to heat the whole coil.

My suspicion is, if you took the same length of wire you have, and twist it tighter, around a smaller jig, you'd end up with more usable surface area..

I am guessing that by the time the outer part of the coil is warm, the inner wrap is scorching the wick.

You're on the right path though, and what works for me may not for you.

I still have a bad habbit of using wattage as a metaphoric sledge hammer to heat modern art.
Thank you so you're saying a smaller, tighter coil might be better? What about a dual coil or mesh coil build? Sorry for all the questions I'm a complete noob lol today was my first time making my own coil, I even did loads of research beforehand but the pros make it look so simple haha

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Thank you so you're saying a smaller, tighter coil might be better? What about a dual coil or mesh coil build? Sorry for all the questions I'm a complete noob lol today was my first time making my own coil, I even did loads of research beforehand but the pros make it look so simple haha
The way you have your coil spaced, it may not retain enough heat with wide open air, and a denser coil, such as if you took what you have pictured, and twist it tighter, if that makes sense, around a smaller post, to effectively add a wrap back in, but keep the mass the same.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I would stick with a single coil setup until you are totally comfortable with building and wicking.
And getting your setup to where you like to vape.
After you are comfortable with building a single coil/wicking setup if you still want to venture into dual builds etc go for it.
You can get a great vape with awesome flavor using a single coil setup.
For someone who is new to building I don't think you would want to complicate things by adding in other variables. Just my 2 cents.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Also, I'm not sure about the wicking you're using, but all the vape specific wick I used only needed half a strand to wick anything in the 2-3.5mm ID range. I've switched to rayon now though, and it seemed to me, anyway, to be far more forgiving on technique.

May want to have a look at this:

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
today was my first time making my own coil

Sounds like you are already doing great. It took me at least 3+ recoils and rewicks before it all started to come together. If a foot or two of wire get messed up it's no big deal:)

Enjoy your vape journey, RDA's are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread