Rda noobs second attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
So I did a single coil build on my wolverine rda for the second time today and it tastes great! I think I know where I went wrong: I didn't raise the coil from the build deck and there was a small hotspot on the coil which burned the wick. Thanks to the people who helped me out ye are too sweet .

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Good stuff!

I really don't spend time on trying to make my rda builds look cool, because you know, but... air flow is key and it can take some experimenting before you find the best coil placement for each RDA you use. Once you get that nailed, what works on that RDA, tons of flavor, and going back to tanks feels like a waste of time ;)

The best thing is it's so inexpensive to refresh the wick.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Good stuff!

I really don't spend time on trying to make my RDA builds look cool, because you know, but... air flow is key and it can take some experimenting before you find the best coil placement for each RDA you use. Once you get that nailed, what works on that RDA, tons of flavor, and going back to tanks feels like a waste of time ;)

Agree. At first I was intimidated by every RBA being built differently to get the best out of it.

And that is true, but it’s not all that difficult. You’ll soon be able to just look at their air flow and know where the coil ought to be, how big a coil it’ll fit, how much cotton, and what your preference of coil is.

It’s like driving different cars, each is a little different but once you can drive, none are that hard to figure out.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So I did a single coil build on my wolverine rda for the second time today and it tastes great! I think I know where I went wrong: I didn't raise the coil from the build deck and there was a small hotspot on the coil which burned the wick. Thanks to the people who helped me out ye are too sweet .

Congrats! Once you've done a few they are pretty much all the same from an operational standpoint. Cotton expands and Rayon shrinks. That's a piece of valuable info. Knowing the nature of the wicking and learning by experience how to make and install a coil is something you learn by doing. Once you have that, you have most of what you need to be able to repeat the process and know that it will work. The perfect coil is one that touches the coil with full contact, and is tight enough to maintain that contact once it has heated and produced vapor. Too tight and you get dry hits. Too loose and you get hot spots and burned flavor.

You've passed a milestone!

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Agree. At first I was intimidated by every RBA being built differently to get the best out of it.

And that is true, but it’s not all that difficult. You’ll soon be able to just look at their air flow and know where the coil ought to be, how big a coil it’ll fit, how much cotton, and what your preference of coil is.

It’s like driving different cars, each is a little different but once you can drive, none are that hard to figure out.

This is a great analogy. There is some fiddling required, but the same with driving manual transmission cars. It doesn't take long to get over those little differences, but it can be mildly intimating. It's worth the minimal effort.

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
Good stuff!

I really don't spend time on trying to make my RDA builds look cool, because you know, but... air flow is key and it can take some experimenting before you find the best coil placement for each RDA you use. Once you get that nailed, what works on that RDA, tons of flavor, and going back to tanks feels like a waste of time ;)

Thanks would you have to replace the wick if you want to change flavour? Or how long would one wick last?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Way to go Rachel! ;)

• Love
Reactions: Rachel271

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
That is up to you. With RDAs you can switch flavors quickly without changing the wick, but it depends on the flavor, and how they clash or merge for you.

Whatever works for you, and how different your flavors are. What I do like about RDAs is a few puffs, and the previous flavor mostly disappears, but whatever works for you.

A wick swap is only a few pennies of cotton, you'll know what your preferences are. Cotton is cheap and only takes a minute to swap, or don't ;)

Cool beans you tried out an RDA!

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
Update: my coils went a bit mental lol. The ohms reading kept rising till it was at 9.99 ohm and my mod told me to remove the tank! What could of happened? There was a bit of spitback and the vapour production wasn't great, bit it was better than my first coil lol. Posted some pick of the build before I saturated the wick

Attachments

• 20190731_135310.jpg
    20190731_135310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190731_135314.jpg
    20190731_135314.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Update: my coils went a bit mental lol. The ohms reading kept rising till it was at 9.99 ohm and my mod told me to remove the tank! What could of happened? There was a bit of spitback and the vapour production wasn't great, bit it was better than my first coil lol. Posted some pick of the build before I saturated the wick
The resistance will jump around when you first install a coil. You often have to re-tighten the post screws after it heats up. Be sure to do a proper burn-in. And be sure it's not touching anything it shouldn't. You may also find the spacing the wraps will help, and it looks like you've got plenty of room for that.

• Love
Reactions: Rachel271

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
The resistance will jump around when you first install a coil. You often have to re-tighten the post screws after it heats up. Be sure to do a proper burn-in. And be sure it's not touching anything it shouldn't. You may also find the spacing the wraps will help, and it looks like you've got plenty of room for that.
I will try that thank you!!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
First off, that is one TALL coil. As for the Ohm's raising, my guess is the leg got hot, how does the coil look after?

Rachel271

Jul 30, 2019
First off, that is one TALL coil. As for the Ohm's raising, my guess is the leg got hot, how does the coil look after?
Lol yeah I didn't want it to be near the build deck, so I went a bit mad with the length , I'll show you now

Attachments

• 20190731_172700.jpg
    20190731_172700.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190731_172704.jpg
    20190731_172704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Rachel, go in some dim light like a bathroom. Check if any of the leads or turns are overheating. Remove the wick. Check again for inconsistencies like gray parts of a segment (or turn). If the coil is not uniform it may exhibit a difference in resistance and perform like a failing bulb, either too hot or too cold. Important to check first that your connections are solid. Not too tight as this may actually cut through wire, but firm. If the wind's bad don't sweat it. They're easy enough to re-create and worth the effort in a great vape.

Good luck. :)

p.s. Just saw your pic and realized you're using multi-wire. These must be thoroughly burned in if it's Kanthal and this will require some tweaking and experience. I'm sure you will see variations in dim light.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Yes it is desirable to trim the legs as short as possible, usually less than 0.8cm from the bottom of the wraps. Somebody even invented a template "Coily" to make it easier. Home Page - CoilyTool

Also check out this video of a professional installing a coil properly. Pay particular attention to the second half where he methodically works out the hot spots.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
First here's a terrible picture.
20190731_200256.jpg

The arrows show where the air should come from and hit the coil, and the dotted lines in the bottom image are around where the air should hit the bottom/side of the coil. So you need the air to hit the bottom half of the coil, you'll have to play a little to find the optimal position.

Hopefully you'll find this useful somewhat, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread