Really harsh draw, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
I have a Fuhatten mod, a manhatten clone, Its a mechanical. Im using an Infinity RDA. with 3 inches of 24 gauge kanthal at .51 ohms. Im using organic japanese cotton. Im also using the Sony 18650. When i made my coils, i dry heated them and rinsed them to get off any primers and such. Anything i try to do to get a smooth draw does not work. The air holes on the sleeve are positioned infront of the coils, i tried both wide openings and barely any opening at all. Everytime i try to draw from my mod, i get some seriously harsh hits and an incredible tight feeling in my lungs. Far worse then what smoking a cigarette felt like, with very little vapor. I do however, hear some snap crackle and pop on my coils when i close the switch. I dont know if this has anything to do with harsh draws but this has got to stop.
I remember testing out some flavors at the vape shop down town on their mods, and everytime with every mod they gave me to test, i got a cool, smooth draw with nice clouds. What am i doing wrong, any suggestions is HIGHLY appreciated. I tried everythine so far. :(

Last edited:

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
Thanks for the response! I dont know if the shop gave me a sub ohm set up to try. But my Nicotine levels are at 16, as i just got into vaping, as i recently stopped smoking tons of cigarettes and other tobacco products as of a week ago. I will most certainly drop nicotine levels next jar of juice. But here are some pics i took. I hope these help, if you need any others let me know. I really appreciate it.

IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1081.jpg

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Another, I don't know post.
You should not be using a Mechanical mod unless you understand every bit of what is going on.

Your wicks look a bit loose and dry.
They need to fully contact the coil.
Your Nic is likely the biggest difference.

Shops rarely use Nic of over 3mg. in Flavor samples and you brought home 16mg for a dripper.

Ace64

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I have been struggling a little as well. I used to smoke lots. I am currently using a mech mod, with a Helios RDA. I build between .33 and .55 ohms and have been playing with different wrap thickness.
If I don't vape for awhile (a few hours) and I take a hit I can feel a little burn from the nic. I vape @ 12. After a few hits it goes away.

Here are a few things that I have found cause harsh hits:
I burned my cotton.
I have not vaped for awhile
Too "big" a build. ( like paralell low ohms)
dirty coils

Looks to me like coils are ok.

One thing I would try is to build on alternating posts. This lets you put each coil more in the center of the atty. Then line up the air holes with the coils. I think this gives a cooler hit??? Great thing about RDA is if you don't like the hit. Try a new build!
Below are a few slightly different ones..

everyday2_3_8_26_520_1.jpg

4_9_wraps_26G-63O_1.jpg

everyday_3_7_26_460_1.jpg

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
Another, I don't know post.
You should not be using a Mechanical mod unless you understand every bit of what is going on.

Lol look at the strong e-pine of yours. Go kick rocks, somewhere else. Nobody has time for that negativity.

I have been struggling a little as well. I used to smoke lots. I am currently using a mech mod, with a Helios RDA. I build between .33 and .55 ohms and have been playing with different wrap thickness.
If I don't vape for awhile (a few hours) and I take a hit I can feel a little burn from the nic. I vape @ 12. After a few hits it goes away.

Here are a few things that I have found cause harsh hits:
I burned my cotton.
I have not vaped for awhile
Too "big" a build. ( like paralell low ohms)
dirty coils

Looks to me like coils are ok.

One thing I would try is to build on alternating posts. This lets you put each coil more in the center of the atty. Then line up the air holes with the coils. I think this gives a cooler hit??? Great thing about RDA is if you don't like the hit. Try a new build!
Below are a few slightly different ones..

Thanks for the informative post brother. I guess im going to take your advice and try a different approach.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Thanks for the response! I dont know if the shop gave me a sub ohm set up to try. But my Nicotine levels are at 16, as i just got into vaping, as i recently stopped smoking tons of cigarettes and other tobacco products as of a week ago. I will most certainly drop nicotine levels next jar of juice. But here are some pics i took. I hope these help, if you need any others let me know. I really appreciate it.

View attachment 399088 View attachment 399089 View attachment 399090

24 ga? with dual 5 wrap coils??? thats more like .2 ohms.... and 16 nic? theres your issue....

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/super_x_drifter/

Most of these videos are based on reo topics but much can be learned from super x on perfecting coil placement and wicking. Some great simple info on battery safety as well.

I suggest u grab a cheap ego starter kit if u don't have one already so u have something to vape on while you are working on dialing in the build on your mech/dripper. They also make a great backup in case u have troubles while out and about.

There is quite a bit to learn when starting rebuilding so just keep learning and asking questions. Lots of good folks here who love helping any way they can.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
you can't use 16mg on sub-ohm rda like that. that is craziness. there is just too much juice vaporizing for that kind of dose. You need to get some 3mg juice. 6mg is the highest I would go. 12mg is crazy.

Also, 24g is a thicker wire, and should be built at lower resistance to heat up as fast as something like 26 or 28 gauge. I build my dual 24g attys at .21 ohm. I would shoot for around .3 to start. With 3mg juice. Then you will be set for a great vape!

ETA: your coil diameter is too big. A micro-coil should be 5/64 or 3/32.

Last edited:

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
I would bet you have hot spots In your coils and or not enough wick. Also...yes that is pretty high nic levels for a sub ohm build but your body will tell u If u over do it.

Try pulling out your wicks and dry firing your coils while looking for hot legs.

I made sure i eliminated as much of those hotspots as possible. But wicking those coils seems to change a lot.

24 ga? with dual 5 wrap coils??? thats more like .2 ohms.... and 16 nic? theres your issue....

So are you suggesting i go with a higher resistance? I deffinitly plan on dropping those nic levels for sure.

E-Cigarette Forum - super_X_drifter blah blah BLOG - Blogs

Most of these videos are based on reo topics but much can be learned from super x on perfecting coil placement and wicking. Some great simple info on battery safety as well.

I suggest u grab a cheap ego starter kit if u don't have one already so u have something to vape on while you are working on dialing in the build on your mech/dripper. They also make a great backup in case u have troubles while out and about.

There is quite a bit to learn when starting rebuilding so just keep learning and asking questions. Lots of good folks here who love helping any way they can.

Ill check it out. But i got a vamo v5 as well, im using a kanger pro mini II on it. As far as draw goes. Its much smoother then the mechanical untill i can figure this out. But ill check out the video! Thanks.

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
you can't use 16mg on sub-ohm rda like that. that is craziness. there is just too much juice vaporizing for that kind of dose. You need to get some 3mg juice. 6mg is the highest I would go. 12mg is crazy.

Also, 24g is a thicker wire, and should be built at lower resistance to heat up as fast as something like 26 or 28 gauge. I build my dual 24g attys at .21 ohm. I would shoot for around .3 to start. With 3mg juice. Then you will be set for a great vape!

ETA: your coil diameter is too big. A micro-coil should be 5/64 or 3/32.

Thanks brother ill be heading out to pick some up tonight!

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
You could try this quickly to see if it helps...take one of your coils out and try It single coil. U may have to cover air hole on one side.

Roscoe brother, my 18650 is on the charger heh :p But i guess im going to pick up some 28 gauge today wrap up 2 of them and try to bring it down to 0.66 on the thinner coils. Sounds like it will work?

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
Roscoe brother, my 18650 is on the charger heh :p But i guess im going to pick up some 28 gauge today wrap up 2 of them and try to bring it down to 0.66 on the thinner coils. Sounds like it will work?
Yes..great idea. I use a lot of 28g. I like 7 wraps on 5/64" bit. U can also cut your juice with glycerin from Walmart or any pharmacy to get your nic levels down.

wakslob

Dec 27, 2014
Philadelphia
Yes..great idea. I use a lot of 28g. I like 7 wraps on 5/64" bit. U can also cut your juice with glycerin from Walmart or any pharmacy to get your nic levels down.

Incredible! Just got back from my local vape shop. Wrapped up some new 28 ga coils and its Incredible i must say! Its velvety smooth. Big clouds and along with a nice silky smooth hazlenut draw. Im using 2, 3 inch 28 gauge coils, so roughly 0.66 ohms, 6 wraps. Im vaping Kings Crown juice, "The King" flavor. Problem solved. Thanks brother you rock! Along with all others who helped contribute some decent advice!

Last edited:

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
Incredible! Just got back from my local vape shop. Wrapped up some new 28 ga coils and its Incredible i must say! Its velvety smooth. Big clouds and along with a nice silky smooth hazlenut draw. Im using 2, 3 inch 28 gauge coils, so roughly 0.66 ohms, 6 wraps. Im vaping Kings Crown juice, "The King" flavor. Problem solved. Thanks brother you rock! Along with all others who helped contribute some decent advice!
Good news. [emoji106]

calliber08

Verified Member
Jan 3, 2015
Fenton, MI
I am actually using a very similar set up. I have a manhattan clone with a doge v2 and i am running a macro coil. I used 6 inch per coil of 24g kanthol and warped 6 times. The difference is that i use 0 mg when i drip and i get no harshness at all. I would say that the nicotine lvl is what is making it so harsh. sorry if im late on the reply lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread