Vape harsh until coil warms up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Haven't heard of that but I suppose it could be a thing. Maybe there's something about the difference in body temperature vs. vapor temperature that's in play.

What kind of coil are you using? Do you do DL or MTL? I think some of the larger low-resistance coils take longer to heat up. You could go up in watts and it might heat up faster, then bring it down when it's warmed up.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've never heard of such a thing happening, and I'm kind of trying to wrack my brain as to what might be causing it. I've gotten a better vape quality in some tanks after the coil heats up a bit, but I am talking less vapor for the first few puffs, or just cooler vapor, I've never noticed increased harshness from it though.

Best of luck figuring it out! How many puffs does it take to reach "smooth" and what is your vape equipment? The answers to that MAY help (and I'm assuming it's at all times, not just when you put in a new coil?) Because a new coil does require breaking in and if you aren't priming it well, that (I am thinking? Maybe?) could cause harshness. IDK. If your coil has a ton of mass in it, it may require some puffs to get going more evenly but I'm still sort of wondering how that might cause the issue you describe.

Best of luck figuring it out!

Anna

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
I don't think the cotton would dry out that fast. Maybe the coil cools off a bit while you're refilling the tank? Or maybe it has something to do with the liquid warming up inside a warm tank and then when you put cool liquid back in the harshness comes back. If storebought liquid didn't give you problems, that might be possible. Are you using a different PG/VG ratio or nic strength in your DIY?

Jered

May 12, 2018
West Michigan
I think my store bought was 70/30. But i've been having the same problems at 70/30 and at max. Im able to vape straight vg and straight pg with no problems. So i know it is my nic. It must have something to do with my nic. I also do not steep my juices, so maybe somehow my nic warms up and becomes acceptable in the tank? I suppose there is a chance of it being my flavor. I will test out my straight nic, then test out a just flavored

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
I think its normal. I have a few juices that do that. They actually make what they consider hi wattage ejuice.

A lot of regulated mods have a preheat option on them where it actually fires the coils at a higher setting for a moment to 'preheat' and return to regular setting after a second or too. I think it's called camping but not sure.
I dont think im crazy, but if i dont hest my coil up before vaping, i get pretty harsh throat hits. Im using DIY juice. Does anyone else experience this? If so, is there a remedy?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Is it possible that cotton can dewick itself? And so fast at that?

Sounds like your setup is simply dealing with liquid that's just too thick for the wicking.
Those few heating seconds is heating the liquid up making it more fluid and gets it wicking better. But at the same time, you're heating the coil probably enough to burn it a bit, thus increasing that harshness until the liquid flows again.

About that nicotine being the "reason".. it simply doesn't work like that. It would be either harsh or not and stay that way, if anything it would get harsher with the heat and longer pulls as it would simply be irritating your throat more.

Try re-priming the coil before using it while cool (close airflow and so a few pulls without firing the mod so to pull some liquid into the coil, but make sure to not overdo it as you'll flood it if you do).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes.... you could adjust juice.. or the build.... a coil that reaches temp faster might do the trick.

I agree. The OP didn't say what gauge the coil is or the wattage used in his mod. Heavy wire takes longer to heat, FWIW. I like 28ga at my 10W vape setting. If I used 24ga I'd have the same problem.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
@Imfallen_Angel i will definitely try repriming instead of preheating to see if that helps. I did notice a little brown at the top of my cotton. Just a very small portion. I understand burned cotton can linger indefinitely, but i've had the same results with numerous coils

Yup, once burnt the taste of it lingers in proportion to how burnt it is.

You say numerous coils.. but all on the same tank? If yes, then it's a case that the liquid feed approach of this particular tank is simply not able to keep up with your style of vaping.

If this is an RTA or RBA, it might be a case of the wicking, either too much or too little, angle of wick for the feed hole or approach might be a bit off.

When it comes to building, doing coils is easy as heck.. wicking is an art form. Get it right and your vaping experience is great.. get it off by even a bit and you're considering using your kit as a soccer ball.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@Imfallen_Angel i will definitely try repriming instead of preheating to see if that helps. I did notice a little brown at the top of my cotton. Just a very small portion. I understand burned cotton can linger indefinitely, but i've had the same results with numerous coils

Your wick has to touch the coil everywhere. If the wick is a little loose you'll get hot spots where the coil has a tiny air space (not touching the wick). A good wick will be tight enough that you find it easier to twist the wick as you pull it through. If the coil is a lighter gauge wire (like 28ga or 30ga) you might see the legs flex a little as you insert it. The ends of the wick need to be cut squarely, parallel to the deck, and lightly touch the deck surface to ensure efficient juice feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread