• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Rebuildable Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
I figure this topic deserves it's own thread...
I have an ERA, a chinese DID, and a smok Vivi tank.
I have yet to setup the latter two, I have to build the mod to run them first :D.
The ERA bottomfeeder has changed the way I vape. It takes a little getting used to but It's wicked awesome. Most people like to run them with silica, but I personally don't like silica for numerous reasons, mainly the way it tastes/vapes. I tried like 10 different silica setups and none of them hold a candle to a simple 1/4 inch long rolled 400 SS mesh wick. I angle the wick/coil so that it rests on the atty floor, and soaks up juice when I squonk.
Anyway, that is my setup... what is yours?
Anyone need any help that is considering the switch to RBA's? (rebuildable atomizers)

vpsi333

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
near Birmingham Al
2 vivi tanks; 1 original setup, the other I drilled out wick holes and using 325 SS wire mesh (u shaping kinda rough) i'm using whatever coil wire that came with my DuD (Nichrome i think??) at a 4/5 wrap. getting about 1.8 ohm resistance on this set up. drilled small airhole in the top half near the wick. very hard to get the coil wire screwed onto the negative screw. wire wick tends to touch my neg. screw giving me shorts, but i just kinda move it a little to get it going. Vapes good at low voltage (3.0 to 3.4 volts). having to fill from the bottom.
got a DuD (DiD clone) from SVC (if this thing didn't leak when its laying down and it held more liquid, i'd throw my carto tanks away).
using 325 SS mesh and 36g kanthal wire at 4/5 wraps(2.2, 2.3 ohms). The flavor of the vape on this thing is unbelievable.

waiting on a Griffin (clear tank DuD) and a AGA Hydra to arrive from Discount vapers

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
I have been 100% SS wick ever since I got my ERA. It is the best vape I have ever had. Sometimes you get a hotspot on the coil and have to reposition and dry burn real quick, but for the most part it's hassle free for about 2 weeks. I try and change the coil/wick after two weeks because about 2 1/2 weeks the flavor starts to get muted and it darkens my juice when I squonk.

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I figure this topic deserves it's own thread...
I have an ERA, a chinese DID, and a Smok Vivi tank.
I have yet to setup the latter two, I have to build the mod to run them first :D.
The ERA bottomfeeder has changed the way I vape. It takes a little getting used to but It's wicked awesome. Most people like to run them with silica, but I personally don't like silica for numerous reasons, mainly the way it tastes/vapes. I tried like 10 different silica setups and none of them hold a candle to a simple 1/4 inch long rolled 400 SS mesh wick. I angle the wick/coil so that it rests on the atty floor, and soaks up juice when I squonk.
Anyway, that is my setup... what is yours?
Anyone need any help that is considering the switch to RBA's? (rebuildable atomizers)

I'm using RBA's 90% of the time except when I'm traveling for work. When traveling, I resort to cartomizer tanks, 306s and 510s. I don't care for silica wicks in my A7 or Phoenix; rather, I'm using them with an SS wick. I find the taste is better and they last longer. SS also works better for changing flavors.

I also use my original DID from MMVapor.com a lot. The only draw back I've found with RBAs is a person really needs a VV for VW device to adjust inconsistencies found when rebuilding coils. Someday, I'll recoup my initial costs because prior to using RBAs, I'd go through a 510 every week to two weeks. I noticed a few months ago, the price of 510s has gone north at several vendors, so I'm staying with the RBAs; they satisfy my needs.

Thanks for the thread: It's going to be an active one.

CraigW

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
Yep QC, I rebuild my Stardust's now with 1mm cotton and there great for out amd about, but My VIVI Genny mod and my DC Mini Genny are my home vapes now. Ordering a V Max today or tommorrow, but the vendor is in the middle of the SANDY storm area and might be a day or 2 before he has power back, lol. VV is DEFFINATELY needed for RBA's in my opinion.

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Has anyone tried the #500 SS mesh?? is it worth the extra money??

I'm still using the 325 and I'm satisfied with 50/50 VG/PG. I have some 400 that MMVapor sent me that I'm going to try one of these days. From what others have said about the 500, it looks promising. I'll probably pick some 500 mesh up next time I make an order. It's well within my e-cig budget.

Todate, the 325 mesh is working great, I can't imagine it getting much better. I will try other meshes in the future.

CraigW

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
I'm still using the 325 and I'm satisfied with 50/50 VG/PG. I have some 400 that MMVapor sent me that I'm going to try one of these days. From what others have said about the 500, it looks promising. I'll probably pick some 500 mesh up next time I make an order. It's well within my e-cig budget.

Todate, the 325 mesh is working great, I can't imagine it getting much better. I will try other meshes in the future.

CraigW

YES QC it's better. I'm a 50/50 guy myself and it made a BIG Difference. I'v got 400 and 500 and I will be going with 500 from now on. AND I just rebuilt my first Stardust that works with 500 mesh. WOW, lol

Last edited:

RonsPlc

ECF Live Chat Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
Gaylesville, AL

vpsi333

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
near Birmingham Al
Be careful about over oxidizing the mesh, this MAY cause a buildup of Chromium Oxide. My go to set up has me oxidizing the crap out of my mesh, so I'm going to have to try and perfect one of the lightly oxidized and non-oxidized methods until more info about this comes out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread