Recipe Development: Primary Flavor Profile or Mouthfeel First?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been playing around with developing flavors more and looking at a lot of recipes. From my experience doing DIY so far the main thing that was lacking in my juice was "mouthfeel" or "vape satisfaction"/"pop" The store bought juice seems to be "full", "creamy" or "juicy" where as my juice would be true to flavor but lacking this fullness.

Based on the juices I like I am not SO much concerned about the primary flavor as I am about mouth feel/satisfaction. The juices I really like have *something* in them that on exhale it just feels really really satisfying to me.

With my latest recipe I reversed the process and found modifiers that I can use to adjust this experience which I have not used in the past. Plain fruit flavors (ie juicy peach) straight from the flavor bottle doesn't do much for me and I quickly tire of it. Adding sweetener helps a bit but still meh. So I am using malic acid, citric acid and tart & sweet to adjust the mouth feel. I add them just enough to modify the mouth feel but not enough to induce any puckering or main flavor note standouts, just enough to enhance and modify the main flavor. Yes it does end up giving it a more candy taste than a plain fresh fruit taste but I am OK with that since it is much more enjoyable to vape due to the mouth feel it adds.

Quite a few of the recipes I have looked at do not include all of these ingredients. I was getting the problem of my vape tasting bland/dry. Adding citric acid made the fruit "pop" but when I noticed something missing in the profile I added malic acid. It was in such a small amount that it did not change the sour profile but just filling in something missing in the total flavor profile. The base of this recipe is based around tart and sweet and using this for fruits is essential for me. I find adding it in the right amounts you can target flavors that do not taste totally like sweet tarts/smarties, but just adds "freshness" to the profile.

There is a delicate balance finding the sweet spot mixing all of the acids, too much of one and there is a VERY disagreeable taste. At some points there was what I can only describe as a battle in my mouth between tart and sour, and it was not pretty. But once I started adding and tweaking I could quickly see how each one adjusted the flavor profile and after vaping could usually know just what I needed to add to get what I wanted. The key to this was realizing that the "sour" flavor is malic acid and not citric (rookie mistake).

My questions are:

Is it wrong to be adding all these extra's in and doing things this way? I get the feeling from reading on here that by doing this it is viewed as an amateur chef adding in a bunch of MSG or cheesy sauce to cover up the main recipes imperfections? I have yet to run across a recipe that uses all of what I mentioned above in one single recipe.

I am starting the develop recipes backwards by finding a combination of things that give a good mouth feel / background notes and then adding in main flavor notes and then finally tweaking the acids (in the case of fruits) or creams (or others like vanillin) to get the final notes I am looking for. I used to start out thinking about the flavor I am trying to create (ie cookies and cream) by picking out what the top flavor notes would be and then start mixing those. Now I know the cream is going to be the flavor "carrier" and develop one that is really oreo'y/creamy/satisfying and then start working on the cookie part of it. Going the other way would not end up with a good mouthfeel/satisfaction. It is so much easier to dilute a known good flavor combination (the oreo cream to tone it down vs cookie) than it is to try modify the whole flavor profile at the same time. Adding in flavors later to get the cookie taste will change the cream but since I have known good starting flavor profile in my brain I can then modify to get that flavor back. I may not have found it though if I started with cookie in the mix from the start. Does anyone else do it this way?

I don't recall reading anything regarding this question specifically, when developing a recipe do you develop the background/mouthfeel first or work with the primary notes and fill in the rest? Not that one way is necessarily better than another but I have had more success going backwards to what I think is conventional wisdom. But maybe I am under the wrong impression and this IS actually how it is supposed to be done?

• Useful
Reactions: jusu

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
You are right on target in your thinking and it sounds like you have a very good understanding on how additives work. I have a blog on additives that might give you a little more insight into using additives and what additives are available but all in all your right on target with this process. Best thing i can tell you is a little bit of an additive makes a big difference.

In another thread I recently wrote about the 2 most powerful additives you can have in your arsonal.

Just to paraphrase

EM (Cotton candy) may mute flavors as it sweetens but increases mouth feel, wetness and thickness.

Sweetener is a straight up sweetener.

They can be used in combination with each other. For instance

use .5% (Half a percent) of EM to enhance sweetness, increases mouth feel, wetness and thickness.

and

Use sweetener at 1% to add additional sweetness.

These are 2 of the greatest fine tuning tools you can have in your arsenal of additives.

My blog on additives can be found here

Sweetening and additives | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

10Pups

Jan 14, 2017
Orange, California
I would suggest you go You Tubing and look up DIYorDIE . He has some great explanations/definitions for the questions your asking. Experimenting is the way and I am deep into that myself. Knowing whether to add Ethyl Maltol or cotton candy is something you learn for yourself or find the vid where Wayne explains it . Sometimes it's just a drop here or there that makes a big difference. Sometimes it's starting with a base you would never think to add that gives your flavors the ending your looking for. Ummmm there is no quick fix I am finding out unless you can memorize 4 solid days of watching Pro mixers on You Tube :<0)

And what I did was start with custards, creme brulee, and cheese cakes and then add flavors. And the same flavors have different properties between the makers also.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonofsteel

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I don't recall reading anything regarding this question specifically, when developing a recipe do you develop the background/mouthfeel first or work with the primary notes and fill in the rest? Not that one way is necessarily better than another but I have had more success going backwards to what I think is conventional wisdom. But maybe I am under the wrong impression and this IS actually how it is supposed to be done?
I find there is no right and wrong way, I do what I feel may work for me with the flavors I intend to use.
Here's an oldie that may help:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ques-flavor-add-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect.html

Reactions: tonofsteel
That is another good (and long :)) thread, thanks!

I had not mixed too many cream based flavors from scratch and was messing around with it recently. I have read lots on steeping and some say it makes a difference and others say not so much. With high VG juice it absolutely, definitely does! Had tried mixing up some stuff awhile ago that tasted like nothing/crap when trying it out the same day. Found some of it and tried it and almost fell out of my chair the difference is so much better! Crazy.

I have found a couple basic ADV's that are fruit based and now looking to get a couple creams to start with before getting more advanced. I find I have to switch between the two to keep the palate fresh.

Had nearly given up on DIY until finding this place so I am really thankful for everything everyone has shared over the years! These condensed info links are really informative and can get you up to speed fairly quickly I am finding! Still need tons of experimenting but don't feel so blind anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread