Recommendations for materials to set up RSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbiz79

Feb 8, 2013
Hornell, NY
I'm planning on buying an RSST as my first rebuildable. I'm using a VAMO and will probably need to stick with a 1.6 ohm coil or higher. I've been doing a lot of research on which materials to use? SS rope wick seems to be the best option, but what size/type? Ribbon wire or regular and what gauge? Does it matter which mesh I use at the top to cover the wick before coiling? I have done a lot of research but I am at a loss for what materials would be the best to use or have success with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Bought some 400 mesh and 0.5 x 0.1 kanthal a 1 ribbon wire from Stormy's and some 28 gauge kanthal and 7x19 1.5 mm ss rope from venerable vaping which is all they had available when I bought the RSST! Now should I order a mech from fast tech while I'm on a streak or wait and see how it goes? Also, where and what kind of torch should get?

bic lighter from 7-11 just roll the wick and torch the end a few times with some juice, nice and black, skip all that nasty oxidation junk.

if you get a cheap mech you can learn the non oxy method of wicking, far superior to that blackened mess.

cckk

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2013
Poland
I use RSST atomizer with 3/4 coils made from Kanthal 0.25 mm (30 AWG) and 20×35 mm wicks made from mesh 400. To setup the coil and the wick it I use so called “petar k method”. Taking into consideration Kanthal wire tolerances I suppose that such a setup may result in the resistances from 1.4 to 1.8 Ω. I’m very glad of the results.

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
Hi all, just getting into genny's, so I apologize in advance for all the ?'s. Just got an RSST in the last week or so. Materials I have: 400 mesh, Kantal wire in 28, 30, 32 gauge. Also, have some .5x0.1mm Kanthal Ribbon wire on the way. I have an APV and a mechanical mod, so 1.2 ohms or less doesn't affect me, except for safety reasons. I would LOVE for anyone and/or everyone to give their opinion :2c: on how I should set this up. The first thing I need to know is what size/dimension of mesh I should use? I know the height doesn't matter cuz it can be trimmed, but what about the length? Should I cut the bottom of the mesh, after its been rolled, at an angle or just leave it be? Also, which gauge Kanthal should I use? Or should I wait for the Kanthal ribbon wire to arrive? How many wraps? 3? 4? Even 5? I have a propane torch so I can do some quick oxidation to get any contaminants off. Not burning a ton. Just a few quick passes. I will prolly pulse it because of the insulated wick hole. One last thing, I had a buddy drill out my air hole cuz it was WAY too small. It's now 1/16" (1.59mm), which might be just a tiny bit too big for me. Wanted around 1.4mm, but oh well. Really won't know til I get the right setup in there. If anyone wants to trade top caps, PM me. ANY help with this will be GREATLY appreciated, ESPECIALLY the size of the mesh to start off with! Thanks in advance, everyone and hope u all have a wonderful weekend!!! :thumb:

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
For my RSST setup and a almost solid wick I start with a 3" wide piece of 400 mesh. At the bottom of the wick I do cut it at an angle and then cut a slit about 3/8" long. No wicking issues at all even if chain vaping.

Thanks a bunch, Chris! ANY info is good info, so I REALLY appreciate it! What kind of wire do u use and what's the approx. ohms u are getting?

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
while I still enjoy and use mesh in my rsst... I've recently discovered that a micro coil with cotton (from a cotton ball) works just as well and it much easier to set up. Just throwing out another option for ya.

Hmmmm....interesting (while stroking long beard, if I had one. Lol). What gauge Kanthal is that and what did u wrap it around?

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
For my RSST setup and a almost solid wick I start with a 3" wide piece of 400 mesh. At the bottom of the wick I do cut it at an angle and then cut a slit about 3/8" long. No wicking issues at all even if chain vaping.

Do you just cut a small angle at the bottom, or do u cut it at a larger angle, cutting off more mesh?? Basically, how far up on the mesh do you end the cut of the angle? Does that make sense??? And with the slit, where do you put that at? At the top of the angle, do u cut a 3/8" long slit there? Bottom of the mesh, where the angle cut starts? Geez, this sounds like a mess, meaning what I am writing sounds like crap. I hope you understand what I am asking. Thanks in advance! Have a great Sunday!

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Hmmmm....interesting (while stroking long beard, if I had one. Lol). What gauge Kanthal is that and what did u wrap it around?

Its 28g kathal wrapped around a 1/16 drill bit. When threading the cotton down through the coil, it needs to fill the coil but be loose in the actual wick hole. Cotton needs space and air to wick well. If the wick hole is completely filled, it blocks the juice instead of wicking it....at least that's been my experience. Silica can be used also but I wrap around the silica instead of threading it through.

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
Its 28g kathal wrapped around a 1/16 drill bit. When threading the cotton down through the coil, it needs to fill the coil but be loose in the actual wick hole. Cotton needs space and air to wick well. If the wick hole is completely filled, it blocks the juice instead of wicking it....at least that's been my experience. Silica can be used also but I wrap around the silica instead of threading it through.

I think I might try it with Ekowool. I wonder how that would work out. How many wraps did you do??? LOL!!! Jk!! I am able to look at the pic and count. What's the ohms?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I think I might try it with Ekowool. I wonder how that would work out. How many wraps did you do??? LOL!!! Jk!! I am able to look at the pic and count. What's the ohms?

The one pictured above is a micro coil. I wrapped 28g kanthal around a drill bit, installed the coil and threaded the cotton through it. But it might be difficult to thread ekowool through a tiny coil. Here is a picture of a build with ekowool. I wrapped the wire around the ekowool and then installed the coil with the ekowool in it.
I don't remember what the Ω was on this particular build

and another pic of ekowool doubled in the coil

Here's a picture of a silica build, actually it's in a DID but the concept is the same... I doubled the silica and wrapped and installed. Both work very well. The ekowool and silica wicks aren't in what's called the "microcoil" where the coil is wrapped around a small object with the coils touching. Anyway, all of these setups.. cotton, silica, ekowool, microcoils and reg coils work great in the RSST.

with soft wicks like cotton and silica, I don't try for the lower resistance. I shoot for 1.5ish and use them on regulated devices. I save the subohms for mesh and mechs.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Do you just cut a small angle at the bottom, or do u cut it at a larger angle, cutting off more mesh?? Basically, how far up on the mesh do you end the cut of the angle? Does that make sense??? And with the slit, where do you put that at? At the top of the angle, do u cut a 3/8" long slit there? Bottom of the mesh, where the angle cut starts? Geez, this sounds like a mess, meaning what I am writing sounds like crap. I hope you understand what I am asking. Thanks in advance! Have a great Sunday!

You're over thinking it LOL. You can cut a small angle at the bottom or not. I don't know if it helps with wicking or not. The mesh I have in one of my devices isn't cut at and angle and it's doing pretty good. The important thing is complete wick to coil contact. If there is a place on the coil that isn't in contact with the wick, it will give off a burnt/metallic taste. Here is a pic of mesh in my RSST. See how the coil is in complete contact with the wick?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Here is a pic of a did clone I got back months ago from fasttech. It was already setup. See how loose the coil is? Look at that bottom coil and how it gaps away from the wick. All the coils gap away from the wick for that matter!

I didn't use this setup. I took the wick out and rewrapped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread