Recycled Gear Adoption Depot idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Every now and then random ideas come up in my head.
But, something I haven't seen yet and would greatly benefit everyone (Especially the new to rda, RTA's or vaping in general) is a gear adoption depot (yah, that means free). We all have used stuff sitting around, old atomizers and mods that had seen their day but new shinny things came in to play. So was thinking about the possibility of maybe ECF or even the Moderators getting together and starting the "Gear Adoption Depot" thread where new folks could find old gear on the free. This would be a pay it forward kind of thing I would think as they upgrade the item is cleaned (please, that would be just gross not to) and put back up for adoption again to someone that needs or can use it.

It would be a first of its kind that I can think of, and most def. appreciated by a lot of folks.

Just a thought, chime in and let me know.

Sincerely,
Midnight

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Something like that, but not one long huge sort through hundreds of pages long thread. Something a bit more itemized in a sense would be a bit better in design and navigation (yup, just tried it myself, I got lost after page 5). Also found a new person asking for an atomizer in the new to ECF forum, so I'd suspect that isn't center page news for the new folks.

Maybe polish it up a bit, is what i was thinking of

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
Every now and then random ideas come up in my head.
But, something I haven't seen yet and would greatly benefit everyone (Especially the new to RDA, RTA's or vaping in general) is a gear adoption depot (yah, that means free). We all have used stuff sitting around, old atomizers and mods that had seen their day but new shinny things came in to play. So was thinking about the possibility of maybe ECF or even the Moderators getting together and starting the "Gear Adoption Depot" thread where new folks could find old gear on the free. This would be a pay it forward kind of thing I would think as they upgrade the item is cleaned (please, that would be just gross not to) and put back up for adoption again to someone that needs or can use it.

It would be a first of its kind that I can think of, and most def. appreciated by a lot of folks.

Just a thought, chime in and let me know.

Sincerely,
Midnight

I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA! I wouldn't mind adopting a thing or two and adopting out...lol

Ricky Spanish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Something like that, but not one long huge sort through hundreds of pages long thread. Something a bit more itemized in a sense would be a bit better in design and navigation (yup, just tried it myself, I got lost after page 5). Also found a new person asking for an atomizer in the new to ECF forum, so I'd suspect that isn't center page news for the new folks.

Maybe polish it up a bit, is what i was thinking of

I hear you, the end of that thread is basically where the activity is, someone posts they have something, others ask if they can have it, then it's marked as gone.

I wasn't knocking your idea by the way, always nice to pay it forward.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA! I wouldn't mind adopting a thing or two and adopting out...lol

Same here, I know in the past I wanted to try this or that and would have gladly traded or I've got gear that is sitting un loved anymore that can find a new home, especially to those in need of them.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I hear you, the end of that thread is basically where the activity is, someone posts they have something, others ask if they can have it, then it's marked as gone.

I wasn't knocking your idea by the way, always nice to pay it forward.

I know, trust me on this I didn't think for any moment that you were knocking the idea, actually I appreciate the feedback.
Paying it forward is what makes the vaping community one of the most amazing communities I've ever been in. People are always willing to help, rebuild, offer advice or just have a fireside chat over a cup of coffee which is awesome.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
I think it's a great idea, but do think it'd probably best served by finding a way to reorganize the PIF threads and such (It's probably the most confusing to the people who need it the most) either as a sticky post, it's own subsection with individual posts or even say, an online google doc spreadsheet that could be added to/deleted from.

Last edited:

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I think it's a great idea, but do think it'd probably best served by finding a way to reorganize the PIF threads and such (It's probably the most confusing to the people who need it the most) either as a sticky post, it's own subsection with individual posts or even say, an online google doc spreadsheet that could be added to/deleted from.

That is what I was thinking as well, currently a singular thread like that for new people that are already trying to catch up can be a little intimidating to say the least. I see the Google doc would require human maintenance and regular check-ups. Being part of the forum as a sub form means the admins don't require any additional hoop jumping to keep up with it.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Being part of the forum as a sub form means the admins don't require any additional hoop jumping to keep up with it.

Indeed; a sub-forum with individual posts instead of a giant thread would probably serve the community well, or at least vastly better than the current arrangement. You still need people going back and closing out their threads if stuff gets taken, but if people stop responding others would get the gist. IMHO, you should definitely find the right people and wink-wink-nudge-nudge them towards it!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Something like that, but not one long huge sort through hundreds of pages long thread.

Offers in Treasure Chest, since they are free, are usually snapped up w/in the day, so only the last few posts ever need to be sorted through.

Keeping up all those pages (as an archive) just shows how many generous offers of free stuff members here have made. ;)

Also found a new person asking for an atomizer in the new to ECF forum, so I'd suspect that isn't center page news for the new folks.

Members who need stuff are directed to Treasure Chest and PIF areas.

They can also post a Want Ad in the ECF classifieds once they are verified. That's been gear adoption for many of us....selling stuff cheap in the classies, and/or buying it from other members.

Your ideas are generous but understand that once you start a "program" here of any sort, it requires Moderators to mod it......and they are already working pretty hard across large areas of topics here with thousands of members.

Maybe you can write up a really good plan, submit it, and offer to moderate it. I'm not sure what it will have that the PIF and Classified areas don't already cover, but I guess maybe I"m not understanding the whole program. :)

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Not allowed to buy, sell or trade outside of the Classified Forum. Thank you. :)

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Removed continued discussion re deleted post

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
  • Deleted by classwife

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
  • Deleted by classwife

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
If I'm left with any after giving them out to folks that know we vape and want to quit,,,I'll look there.

I got a call from a friend yesterday a diabled Veteran friend of theirs want to quit.he gets the vision 1600 mah spinners and pro 2's w/air cont valves

so that leaves two eGo ts so I'll need more tanks, a B&M here in town is going out of business and has the eGo pens for five bucks I'll see if I can't get him to give me a good rate for a dozen..

I gave one to a guy at the Kroger gas station yesterday ahead of me grumbling with a bad cough about his American Spirits and he took great interest in me vaping behind him in line, he got the car back up one I've not touched in months and directions to the local B&M.

it feels good to help others that want to stop smoking, if that friend of Ed's hadn't told us about it..I might still be smoking and sicker than a dog (two years of getting the flu and pretty much 30 years of smoking was taking it's toll)

and I know the good folks of ECF will pay it forward.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Not allowed to buy, trade or sell outside of the correct sections of the forum. It is a kind of twofold reason.
That is to protect our members. Only verified people can sell and buy.
PIF is segregated to that section so the rest of ECF doesn't become a bogged down with people asking for this or that.

The idea is noble but*, don't ya just hate that word sometimes, the PIF section is there for a reason. :)

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Not allowed to buy, trade or sell outside of the correct sections of the forum. It is a kind of twofold reason.
That is to protect our members. Only verified people can sell and buy.

I totally understand the impulse -- and get that being a mod is a thankless job -- but I think something got misconstrued when you were flipping through posts and in this case is a bit chilling towards normal conversation.

I don't think AndreaD was looking to sell here, or trade or give away anything. She was discussing a situation, eg, accumulating stuff you don't use anymore. And one was a caterpillar, which I often recommen to people so was curious what she didn't like about it. I guess I don't see any difference between her post and Ginny's saying she has two ego's -- as GinnyT also isn't looking to get rid of them in this thread, she's just discussing a situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread