Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Noobie here.
There are lots of techniques mentioned on this forum & others & on YouTube re: refilling cartomizers. I have decided the condom method is a "no-go" for me. So putting aside the condom method for this discussion, which end of the cartomizer is better to fill? Some people say to fill (with a dropper or syringe) into the mouthpiece end while others say to fill into the battery end.
Like to get some feedback on this from you vapers out there. Thanks.
Bullette says woof

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
I have always filled in the mouthpiece end. On the KR808 cartomizers, I remove the cap and then drip liquid in (around the center wick) into the polyfill. I do this, let it soak, and repeat until the e-juice just barely begins to pool at the top of the polyfill. I'll typically let them sit with the cap off, battery end facing down, on a paper towel for about 10-20min. Then I'll wipe off any excess fluid and recap them.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Hi.

I only use the condom method with cartos that don't wick well initially, and I fill those from the connector end to make sure that the bottom of the filler is saturated.

Dripping into the connector end, besides being difficult, is pointless on a standard carto, as the juice will just run through the air draw tube. Drip from the mouth end with the cap off, while rotating the carto a bit for each drip to get an even filling. let it sit upright for a few minutes, and check to see if it needs more. Repeat until it doesn't soak in, and lightly blow out the excess from the mouth end.

Landlord

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Cleveland Ohio
Can't imagine filling it from the battery end. I use a syringe; I think it's fast and does the best job of filling.

Syringe here too.. i used to do the tara spin thing but noticed that it presses the poly fill down and makes the draw tighter..it also affects the wicking of the juice a tad bit

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Hi.

I only use the condom method with cartos that don't wick well initially, and I fill those from the connector end to make sure that the bottom of the filler is saturated.

Dripping into the connector end, besides being difficult, is pointless on a standard carto, as the juice will just run through the air draw tube. Drip from the mouth end with the cap off, while rotating the carto a bit for each drip to get an even filling. let it sit upright for a few minutes, and check to see if it needs more. Repeat until it doesn't soak in, and lightly blow out the excess from the mouth end.

This is the way I start my new Cartos too, then from then on just drip from the draw end to top off every once in a while...

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
For me it does not get any simpler than this:

Boston Round Bottles with Luer Lock Cap and 18g Needle - One Stop DIY Shop Store

Other Suppliers carry them also. Drive the needle down between the wadding and the side wall of the carto, squeeze the bottle, and slowly pull the needle up as you do. Filled quickly and completely in seconds, no fuss and no mess. But of course there are many ways to fill as you can see and everyone has a prefered method. Happy vapes and welcome to ECF

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
I haven't tried the condom method yet, but for me, between dripping (from the mouth end) and using a syringe, I found the syringe to work best and be easiest for me. Plus I don't have to wait for the juice to soak up in the carto. (I learned that the hard way dripping and killed a carto the first time I filled one). After that, I decided to go with a syringe. This way I know exactly how much juice I'm using too. I just stick the needle against the carto wall )between the carto wall & the filler) from the mouth peice end (after removing the rubber cap of course), gently get the needle down toward the bottom, and slowly pull it up as I am pushing down on the plunger to release the juice. If i don't see the top of the filler looking too wet after I've released all the juice, I will drop a few more drops in the top and I'm good to go. This way I also know the filler is wet at the battery end, whereas with dripping, I have to wait for the juice to soak through to the bottom and am never completely certain its soaked all the way down. (unless I really let it sit for a while) There are a bunch of videos on youtube demonstrating how to fill with the syringe. I honestly didnt want to use one when I started vaping, but I caved and gave it a try, now its the only route I go. I fill 510 an KR808D cartos with this method, and so far I haven't had any issues. Quick & easy! Good luck finding the way that works best for you!

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Thanks for all your replies guys & gals. This gives me the vapor professionals' angle on refilling my cartos.
I just recd my first order smoke juice & refilled 9 cartos last nite. Smoke juice came with very small diameter eye dropper. I removed carto mouth cap & o-ring to fill into mouth end. I sucked up some juice with dropper & dropper was small enuff to fit easily between carto wall & pollyfill. So I slowly eased the juice into the carto with the dropper like the videos that use the syringe. Walla! Vapes great! Can't believe it was so easy with this cool dropper cuz I was worried when I couldn't get a syringe in town.
Bullette says "chow baby"

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
There are industrial-type soft point syringes available for filling cartos. You don't need a hypodermic syringe to do the job.

That said, I drip fill my cartos from the mouthpiece end right from the 30ml dropper bottles I usually purchase from the vendors. I use Smoktech LR XL cartos that use about 50-60 drops to fill a new and dry carto.

I usually refill anywhere from two to three of these LR XL cartos per day. I don't use a tank. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to fill the cartos every evening. I usually do this while watching the news on TV. I do a full cleaning of the two E-Power 14650s and drip tips I use at the same time.

I usually refill the cartos about ten times before tossing them.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Hoosier has them, so do other vendors. Hoosier is offline right now for website renovation but should be back in a day or two.

Hypo filling is much faster than drip filling. I just don't like the idea of having something else lying around that has to be washed every day before re-use. Leave anything unwashed around for a day and it starts to grow stuff.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I find that using a syringe is handsdown the quickest and easiest way to fill a carto. The condon method works okay, but it can be alittle messy at times, and it doesnt work half as well on XL sized cartos.
Drip filling is okay if your using thin PG juices and small cartos. For the bigger cartos it can take qite awhile to fill the carto, and if you use thick VG juices it takes forever bc it takes so long for the juice to settle to the bottom.

Using a syringe takes all the guess work out of filling and ensures your cartos are filled correctly since you push the needle to the bottom and fill from the bottom up.

This is a copy and paste I wrote for someone else on how to fill the Ressurectors, but its really for all cartos. Follow these directions exactly and you should have no problems. Just go slow and you won't overfill them. Watch the top of the filler and as soon as you see the juice rise to the top of the filler and it looks "slushy", it's full. It's very easy to do and it's much quicker than other methods bc you don't have to wait for the juice to settle. Just fill, blow lightly out the airhole so you make sure it's clear, wipe the threads well, and vape.
Here ya go:

How to fill a cartomizer with a syringe:

"All you have to do is take the dropper part of the bottle off your juice and fill your syringe with 2ml for a new carto. Take the rubber tip off the carto and carefully insert the needle down the side pushing against the metal. DO NOT go thru the filler because it will move it and you could potentially break a connection and your carto. Slide the needle down the side and go all the way to the bottom. Then slowly start dispensing some juice. Dont dispense it all bc then it won't be evenly distributed. Put alittle in, then take it out and insert the needle in a different spot. I normally do it in 3 spots (in a triangle) I found it distributes the best, but you could just do it in 2, on opposite sides. Make sure the needle is at the bOttom bc then you will not have to wait at all for it to settle. Disperse slowly and you will begin to see the toP of the filler become slushy. It is full then, don't put more. If its a new carto is will def hold 2ml, if your refilling it won't take a lot so pay attention and once it gets alittle slushy stop. While your filling hold a napkin or something under the carto bc if you do it too fast a few drops will come out the battery end. If that happens its only bc you did it too fast and the poly fill didn't absorb quick enough.( that happens to me bc I am impatient and fill it in about 10 sec, so I just hold a paper towel or napkin underneath.) wipe up the drops and put the rubber cap back on the carto. Then put the carto between your hands and rub back and forth spinning the carto quickly. This will insure the liquid is evenly distributed in case you put too much on one side from the syringe.
Now you have a perfectly filled ressurector that is ready to be used right away!"

Hope this helps!

wizac

Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
denver co
I agree with the syringe, besides if you try clearos or tanks, it will make filling those easier too. I ordered my syringes from mom and pops, and it has greatly helped make life better for me. LOL I started using a needle top for my bottles but I squeeze too hard and my juice would leak as I was filling. I'm not the most patient guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread