Refilling CE3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonedkirby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
NY
How do you normally refill a CE3? Just curious as to how other people do it, I'm thinking maybe I'm doing it wrong because I keep getting a funny taste out of a good working CE3 as soon as I refill it. I normally will just suck out some air to bring the juice near the wick holes down so they wont come out of the bottom, then once it drops, I refill upside down like normal. But for example, I just did exactly that, now the CE'3 taste funny ( 15 drags in ).

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The trick is to "suck" the air out of the CE3 with the syringe first, before adding any liquid. The point is to get the liquid away from the wicks and wick holes prior to filling them to allow proper air flow. This will prevent leaks since the vacuum is preserved. It is also possible that the liquid you are using is "gunking" up the atomizer itself. I usually refill my CE3s three times, then clean them using water and a syringe. MrOutlaw has an excellent video showing both refilling and cleaning.

Last edited:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I was going to ask also when you'd cleaned it. I don't go through all the syringe stuff except for filling. If you hold it seal down, and shake it like you're shaking down an old glass thermometer (hope you're old enough to know what I'm talking about). Then keep the needle tip below the level of the juice, I've had no problems refilling and have never (knock on wood) had a leak.

To clean: I take the seal out, take the metal post out, rinse those off. Fill tube with hot water, and blow through the top part....you'll see water spouts coming out both of the air holes and some out the bottom. Do this about 10 times or so. If the water streams don't come out the air holes, I hold a finger under the atty end so it will. Then dry burn, rinse, reassemble and fill. I don't wait for it to dry even after rinsing after the dry burn.

stonedkirby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
NY
See i do both of those procedures the way you guys mention them... Theres something else I'm missing, or this batch was botched and no amount of tinkering would have done anything.

Say you reassemble it after a cleaning. At that point, after putting on the silicone seal, would you still suck out the air in the tube? would that even do anything?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
See i do both of those procedures the way you guys mention them... Theres something else I'm missing, or this batch was botched and no amount of tinkering would have done anything.

Say you reassemble it after a cleaning. At that point, after putting on the silicone seal, would you still suck out the air in the tube? would that even do anything?

No, there's really no need to, assuming that you have pumped it clean or as dry as possible with the syringe. The idea is to get the liquid away from the "ports" for the wicks to let the air flow out as the liquid is injected.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.

No, you don't need to suck the air out of an empty one. the reason you suck the air out it to get the juice to move away from the wicks, otherwise when you fill, the juice by the wicks will come out the battery connect side.

When you say your getting a funny taste, is this after cleaning them? If so, thats the water on the wicks. It will take a good 15-20 long drags if you refill after cleaning if you don't let the wicks dry for a day or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I never suck the air out of mine when refiling. I clean with warm water or diet coke depending on my mood on remove the filling seal. Refilling - I just fill as normal.. Usually when the liquid gets right below the silver part. I have to allow the new liquid to mix with the old. The old is usually thicker than the new.

Had them for what 3 weeks.. refill daily clean whenever the mood strikes me. Not a leak.

Watch I will jinx myself.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
I never suck the air out of mine when refiling. I clean with warm water or diet coke depending on my mood on remove the filling seal. Refilling - I just fill as normal.. Usually when the liquid gets right below the silver part. I have to allow the new liquid to mix with the old. The old is usually thicker than the new.

Had them for what 3 weeks.. refill daily clean whenever the mood strikes me. Not a leak.

Watch I will jinx myself.

It doesn't cause a leak during use, it may push some juice out during the fill. Doesn't hurt it, just needs to be cleaned off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
So I have a question. This may sound silly, but I'm new to this CE3 or vaing overall. The question is: When do you know it's time to refill the CE3? I mean, should I vape until there is no juice left and then refill?
I try to never vape them dry, just to the wick holes. But, others have said they vape them dry. Take your pick. Everything is different for everybody.:closedeyes:

Porkchops

Verified Member
May 30, 2012
Canada
Just curious, as I noticed that after cleaning my original CE3s (luckily I had another 10 on order when I did!) they became just terrible. I'm thinking it has something to do with the way I cleaned them, as I basically took out the air tube and the top seal, and then used a syringe with distilled water and sprayed it directly onto the wick area. I noticed that after doing that, the wicks were sitting properly where they used to be, and I couldn't quite get in there to put them back (or at least they wouldn't go back when I managed to get something in there. I recall reading in another thread somewhere on these forums that people have used baking soda and vinegar to clean off their atomizers, and am wondering if something like this would work on a CE3? They essentially put a little baking soda on the atomizer then use a syringe to put the vinegar on and then cover the mouth hole with a finger to cause the pressure to clean off the atomizer and then rinse it. I was intrigued by this method as the chemical reaction would clean any gunk off the atomizer, and the baking soda would neutralize any left over smells/flavours... I'm not looking forward to cleaning my new CE3s though (which is the reason I got 10 of them, so that if I did mess them up after cleaning again, I would still have more).

To give you an idea of how bad I messed them up, I tried a regular cartomizer after a while of being frustrated with my CE3s and thought to myself "wow this is sooo much better!" but then recalled back when I first tried the CE3 after using cartomizers and thinking to myself "wow these are sooo much better than cartomizers!" and it really sank in how bad the CE3 must've gotten after cleaning for that to reverse the way it did...

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
... the wicks were sitting (I think you meant NOT)properly where they used to be, and I couldn't quite get in there to put them back (or at least they wouldn't go back when I managed to get something in there.... I recall reading in another thread somewhere on these forums ...

Be sure to follow the links in this post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3s-lackluster-after-cleaning.html#post7126955
And another thought further down in that thread.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3s-lackluster-after-cleaning.html#post7140177

I always take mine apart to clean. Its also the only way for me to make sure the wicks line up properly. Just my way, yours might differ.

Last edited:

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
I clean them by taking the silicone off and running really hot water into them, then dry burning the water out and letting them sit for a bit................if any of them dont work after that process or have a lackluster result, I bought 15 of them and I am not really interested in trying to revive them after that. I have spare parts for the future and at $2/each - a month or more is worth the price.

You wouldnt spend time trying to rebuild or fix a ink pen, you would just go buy another one.

Porkchops

Verified Member
May 30, 2012
Canada
I'm glad to hear the baking soda and vinegar method does in fact work on the CE3s... I have been meaning to try it out for a while, and will try to give it a test tonight on my original CE3s (well, the 3 remaining ones... dropped one and it cracked, and another has decided to leak out juice as fast as I can put it in haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread