Refinishing my Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

opsguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Florida Treasure Coast
Well I'm stoked. I just got my Provari back from Provape after being repaired. A new circuit board was installed and it is working great now. I am a happy man with a working Provari again.

Now I'm going to take the plunge and refinish it. Right now it has a very worn black finish. It reminds me of the worn blueing on a gun finish. So I have decided to put a textured hammered black finish on it. I have used this finish on several other items and it should look very nice when it's done.

I will come back and post before and after photos tomorrow when it's done.

opsguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Florida Treasure Coast
To answer everyone's questions. Yes I am doing the work myself. I'm in the process now and should finish it later today. Yes I can do a step by step once I complete it and yes I am taking photos of the process as I go and will post back in this thread so keep checking back here.

If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Bolt Fan John

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
San Diego, CA
To answer everyone's questions. Yes I am doing the work myself. I'm in the process now and should finish it later today. Yes I can do a step by step once I complete it and yes I am taking photos of the process as I go and will post back in this thread so keep checking back here.

If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Awesome!! Thanks opsguy! Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Good luck! Hope it turns out perfectly the way you want it!!

opsguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Florida Treasure Coast
Well the work has been delayed as I got called into work unexpectedly. Then I went to buy the paint and my local home improvement was out of the textured black that I wanted so I have to wait until they have it.

I started off with the original finish which is what they called black chrome. It is just a black shiny finish that Provapes does not use anymore. As you can see in the pics the finish was scratched and faded in many places.
Provari_original.jpg
Provari_original2.jpg

Then I used 320 wet/dry sandpaper to start. You don't need to remove all the original paint. Just need to get it smooth and remove any nicks and scratches.
Sanded_1.jpg
Sanded_2.jpg

I do not recommend disassembling the device as you could run into problems if you aren't careful you may damaged the PCB board. It is just easier to mask off the top, LED window and button before you paint.

Even with the sanding almost done I am liking the look better already!

I will post back when I get the paint and can continue.

Last edited:

opsguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Florida Treasure Coast
No it is Krylon spray paint. It is a very hard finish when it dries. I have done two devices previously for friends one was a Provari and the other a Bolt and they came out great. I have tried using the Rust-O-leum before and it is a far less superior finish. So I am waiting until I can get the right stuff.

Just an FYI for anyone that has a finish that is damaged but you don't feel comfortable painting it yourself you can send it to Provape and they will replace the tube with a new one of your choice for $40.00. You cannot beat that deal to have it look like a new one. I would have sent mine in but I don't have a backup right now.

ebbrey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norway
No it is Krylon spray paint. It is a very hard finish when it dries. I have done two devices previously for friends one was a Provari and the other a Bolt and they came out great. I have tried using the Rust-O-leum before and it is a far less superior finish. So I am waiting until I can get the right stuff.

Just an FYI for anyone that has a finish that is damaged but you don't feel comfortable painting it yourself you can send it to Provape and they will replace the tube with a new one of your choice for $40.00. You cannot beat that deal to have it look like a new one. I would have sent mine in but I don't have a backup right now.

WoW! i did not know this.. Mine seme to love getting some scratches. All the ridges in it are turning silver. And the 2 times its rolled off my lap when going out of the car hit the asphalt and licked some rocks did not help either.. Soon as i get a backup im going to send mine in then!

opsguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Florida Treasure Coast
WoW! i did not know this.. Mine seme to love getting some scratches. All the ridges in it are turning silver. And the 2 times its rolled off my lap when going out of the car hit the asphalt and licked some rocks did not help either.. Soon as i get a backup im going to send mine in then!

Yep I din't know either until I asked and they told me sure you can send it in and they replace the tube for $40.00. I may eventually do it once I have a backup. I am hoping my wife is going to buy me a new Mini for Christmas.

ebbrey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norway
Yep I din't know either until I asked and they told me sure you can send it in and they replace the tube for $40.00. I may eventually do it once I have a backup. I am hoping my wife is going to buy me a new Mini for Christmas.

Hmm wonder if im allowed to ask for e-cig stuff for christmas. Weird looks incoming.

I had an issue on mine a coupple months ago and i had to clean it.. So before checking "how to clean the provari" i took out the 2 screws.. Those wore a ..... to get back in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread