Regulated or Unregulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OdysseyScheme

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
about.me
I've got an L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod and I've been looking at mods like the Vamo V8, the Innokin iTaste 134, iTaste SDV2.0, and the eleaf istick (I know the iStick has an internal battery though).
I want to know, what makes a Mech Mod better/worse than Regulated mods like the ones above?
I'm new when it comes to Mech Mods and mods that use external batteries. Right now I have the L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod (that I haven't used yet due to me waiting for my battery charger to ship), an iTaste MVP2 and an iTaste VV V3.
I'd love any input.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Well your regulated devices let you control your vape to a large extent, you can up the voltage to produce more vapor/flavour. A mech mod kicks out 4.2V on a full battery and will drop from there giving you less and less as you vape, you also can only control how much power you have by the resistance of your coil. So although a mech mod has some good points, mostly they fail less and in general are easier to fix, they have no control so are not the best for newer users. That's not to say a new user can't get good results with one , only that it is harder and requires a bit of work.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Basically, with a mech mod, the resistance of the topper determines the voltage or wattage output and with a regulated mod, you determine the output to the topper. Of the mods you mentioned, I would spring for the little Eleaf. 20 watts in a compact package with good battery life. The others are pretty much outdated tech and with you having the 2 Itastes already, you wouldn't get much more for your money. If you really want to move up, look at a Sigelei 100W box and and the Aspire Atlantis tank. Whoa!!!!

boomhower1820

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
NC
Neither is better, it's all personal preference. I've used both and have settled on regulated box mods as my preferred choice. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or what but I kept having problems with the buttons on mechs from a variety of manufactures. Probably a clone issue but I couldn't get myself to pay what authentics cost for essentially milled tubes and some springs/magnets. I'm not against paying for quality, I bought an rDNA40, just want to feel I'm getting my monies worth. In the end though the regulated devices to me are simpler. If your topper is off a bit in ohms it doesn't really make much difference, the vape is the same. I'm really excited to try out nickel in the DNA40, it really has the potential to be a game changer.

redisin02

Verified Member
Aug 31, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
I was reading that the Sigelei 100w didn't work with the Aspire Atlantis Tank. I know i was interested in moving up to a higher watt mod so i could use an Atlantis and saw in many reviews for some reason the Sigelie just couldn't fire it. Do you have a Sigelei 100W and have you tired it with the Atlantis?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The SVD2 does use an Evolv chip, so not really out-dated tech. Although it won't reach the high power levels that seem to be the rage :)

I have some of both styles, but tend to use my regulated mods more than the mechs I have. I prefer the consistency across battery charge and the ease of changing the power to suit the flavor. With a mech that does not have a Kick module, the only way to do that is to build the right value coil for the experience you want. And as the battery voltage drops off, it changes anyway.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I get the same great vape from both.

words of wisdom from tj
    Know what you want, then worry about which would be the best way to get it.
    If you don't know what you want the vape to be, no one can suggest a way to get it.

All the time, we see threads about which PV to buy with no indication of what the OP wants it to do.

So let's put the cart behind the horse, what do you want a new PV to do?

Last edited:

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 17, 2012
    Edinburg, TX
    More to the point: what atomizers are you working with?

With stock atomizers an eleaf istick would be a nice device I suppose. The SVD 2.0 would be much better but at a higher price and large form factor.

Kayfun users should wait for the Sigelei 50w mod that's just on the horizon. The Yihi SX mini or DNA 40 mod of your choice would be great if you have the extra cash.

RDA junkies will like the Sigelei 100w plus that just arrived.

The other innokin products you mentioned are obsolete.

If I were just getting into rebuildables and moving away from mechs, I'd go with the Sigelei 50w

MINI SIGELEI 50W _50W BOX MOD_SIGELEI Electronic Cigarette -

It's a single battery but you can recharge it from any USB.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    When it comes to regulated VS mech mods It's really just a matter of personal preference. Regulated mods have built in safety features that the average person truly needs and are better at utilizing a battery's energy storage capacity. I have both regulated (50 watt), and straight mechanical and either will provide a stellar experience but I currently favor mech mods. I prefer mechs for many reasons, price, durability, building flexibility, SIZE and aesthetics. For regulated mods this past year has been nothing short of spectacular with wattages/capabilities finally reaching usable levels. The upcoming DNA 40 temp control chip will likely be a game changer, watch and see. I would only consider regulated mods rated above 40 watts and that use replaceable/swappable 18650 batteries (no proprietary battery packs). There are several things I dislike about regulated mods, price and durability are still issues but my biggest complaint concerns their SIZE and appearance. For the time being I will stick with the mechs, a S.S. Kato box mod for RTAs and S.S. Astro for RDAs, just my personal preference.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    When it comes to regulated VS mech mods It's really just a matter of personal preference. Regulated mods have built in safety features that the average person truly needs and are better at utilizing a battery's energy storage capacity. I have both regulated (50 watt), and straight mechanical and either will provide a stellar experience but I currently favor mech mods. I prefer mechs for many reasons, price, durability, building flexibility, SIZE and aesthetics. For regulated mods this past year has been nothing short of spectacular with wattages/capabilities finally reaching usable levels. The upcoming DNA 40 temp control chip will likely be a game changer, watch and see. I would only consider regulated mods rated above 40 watts and that use replaceable/swappable 18650 batteries (no proprietary battery packs). There are several things I dislike about regulated mods, price and durability are still issues but my biggest complaint concerns their SIZE and appearance. For the time being I will stick with the mechs, a S.S. Kato box mod for RTAs and S.S. Astro for RDAs, just my personal preference.

I understand the "personal preference" part, but PLEASE understand that there are many that consider 6-10 watts as being a "usable level".

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    The problem with regulated mods is the chip sets inside them. They allow you to be monitored by ad agencies and the government - where you vape, when you vape, how much you vape! With bluetooth and satellite tracking, a regulated mod basically is like painting a target on your forehead for big business and the government to track and try to monitor and control you. Next thing you know, all the advertizing shifts around you and you are compelled to spend more and more money on what The Man wants to sell you. You end up buying their tainted juice with more mind control substances in it because the vape shop read the data on your regulate mod electronically even before you walked through the doors. Pretty soon you are out of cash and have opened 6 new credit cards The Man has offered you at low introductory rates! Soon that turns into a financial nightmare because you are $200K in debt from the subliminal advertising being thrown at you from every direction compelling you to spend and spend but you are happy because of the tainted juice they've poisoned you with.

Then one day, in a moment of clarity, you find yourself buying a salad spinner at Macy's when it hits you, you don't spin salads! You get your salads premade in a bag from the grocery store and you don't spin them SO what on God's green earth do you need with the $130 Lettuce Master Rotary 4000 for? You don't! Sweet mercy what has happened to you? The sales woman at Macy's is part of the system and you realize it and you run...run from the store knocking over everyone in your path (even the nuns buying make up and that confirms it for you - nuns don't wear make up so something is definitely wrong here) trying to get out of their digital net. You exit the store and think you are free but you aren't because of that regulated mod in your pocket sending out your whereabouts to anyone in the system. One night, you are sitting in your house having a vape, listening to some classic Thelonious Monk getting all mellow not bothering no one and the next thing you know, the feds are busting through the doors and windows, taking you down! You end up in a work prison in the desert for the next 20 years because your know the truth. And all because you decided to buy a regulate mod.

So mech mods are best.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread