Reinstalling Windows - Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkhalis

Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
So, I'm reinstalling Windows (AGAIN) on my ASUS - EP121. Now, this is a great piece of equipment, and I use it daily. However, I also like to fiddle with betas, developer previews, etc. I have managed to muck up the SSD data more than once for various reasons.

Now, where I am going here is, what do YOU vape while reinstalling Windows? I'd expect a random person here to be tech savvy. Considering many of us take the time to research our e-cigs, I'm sure many of us take the time to understand many things, including how to use our technology to the fullest.

So, when Windows has got you down, and the process of resinstalling gets on your nerves - What is your go to vape?

Currently, I've just started - reformatted my SSD and about to begin copying files. I have decided to go with something fun to keep my spirits up (even though Win 7 makes this process much more painless than it used to be). vaping a DIY mix of Bubblegum & Mint (mint extract, not menthol) 70pg/30vg/0nic. I've decided to go with a 2.2 ohm atty at 4.0v for a nice cool vape. Bubblegum & Mint just don't seem to hit well when the vapor is too warm. If my mood or vaping changes, I'll keep you updated :)

Last edited:

MegaT4ever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
MA
I do Remote support all day IM at the computer 24/7, but I do good enough to pay the bills and then some. Im on a more aof a tobacco flavorish vape lately, Bobas Bounty, Bounty Hunter is really good, ill switch throughout the day, sometime even menthol. Im vapin on a Lavatube VV I just picked up, and a Torpedo Tank. Gets me through... Good luck with the Windows install Have Fun! Vape!

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
ah i feel at home here lol.

network admin. surrounded by 4 pc's 2 macs all jammed in my mini cubicle. vnc into server room. fun stuff.

not sure but try using Acronis True Image. Nice Ghost program that has auto backup features. Makes the reinstall of the OS a simple "place boot disk in, hit F12 boot menu, hit restore, point to image, Vape.

Cheers :)

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
you have to watch what computers you ghost, i know CAD systems dont like when u ghost the comps.
Really depends on the CAD software and the OS. Anything windows based should be fine for any imaging program. Mac uses time machine which works flawlessly. Unix/linux can get a bit hairy at times.

The trick with third party software being installed is activation methods, dongle hardware and any associating libraries that need to be installed and registered with the machine.

IMO, for the average home user, Mac OSX is IMO the best OS. Strength, ease of use and built in time machine are just some of the features that make it one the best OS's ever made. To each his own of course. Ubuntu is another but can be tricky for driver setup.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I haven't had to reinstall my personal Windows computer since Vista came along (June 26th 2009 I bought a 64bit Quad-core Vista computer with a HDMI out) and I only reinstalled Vista once for someone else..I believe the last time I had to reinstall my personal was in 2008 on my old XP computer..I liked Vista a lot after SP1 so my free Windows 7 disk sat for a year before I installed it on a partition.

I haven't really used Vista much since then though but it's there if I need it as it has a couple more options that they took out in 7. I do some computer repair on occasion and Vista/7 are pretty easy to fix most of the time unlike XP where it was just easier to backup and reinstall most of the time.

I have XP running (and a few other operating systems including Win8 Dev preview) on Virtual Box still though just for when someone needs some XP help. In the future I think I would like to setup a central "server" in my house and run a couple devices like tablets and computers through my network only using remote controlled virtual operating systems that I can just zap and have a new one in mins..also switch whatever operating system I want. Looks like win8 will be great for that.

XP used to slow down after about a year it was a good idea to reinstall every year because of that..I haven't noticed that with Vista or 7..ever since the Vista debacle when it 1st came out Microsoft has been on the ball with a lot of there software..most people I know have little issues with 7 and the ones that do usually cause the issues themselves by downloading things they shouldn't. I do vape a lot when I'm on my computer or working on one :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I haven't had to reimage in years, but I have a desktop that is running XP SP2 because it got hung up in the reboot blue screen of death while installing SP3. It was an AMD processor thing and a situation where I jumped on the service pack too soon after it came out.

I use that machine for gaming most of the time, since it has a fast video card. My fix for it will be to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium and start from a clean disk. I just hate to reinstall the software all over again, although it needs to be wiped after running for 5 years with no reformat and rebuild!

There's lots of stuff I wouldn't install again. When I finally do it, I will be vaping Awesome Vapor Camel 24mg.

Renrav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
One warning about ghosting: don't make your job look too easy. A few years ago I was working for a small private school. They had a total of only about 40 PCs so I was the only technology guy. I handled the network, hardware, servers, I did everything. After setting up ghosting procedures I made the mistake of talking someone through it one day when I was out of town. Next thing I know they don't need me anymore. The network and servers were fixed from the mess they were when I started, and anytime a machine went down they just reloaded the image. Moral of the story: If it's your job to fix stuff, don't fix everything.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
One warning about ghosting: don't make your job look too easy. A few years ago I was working for a small private school. They had a total of only about 40 PCs so I was the only technology guy. I handled the network, hardware, servers, I did everything. After setting up ghosting procedures I made the mistake of talking someone through it one day when I was out of town. Next thing I know they don't need me anymore. The network and servers were fixed from the mess they were when I started, and anytime a machine went down they just reloaded the image. Moral of the story: If it's your job to fix stuff, don't fix everything.

hahaha well put. Just make sure that you out tech the people you work for and that should not be any issue ;)

muriarte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Monterrey, MX / McAllen, TX
We got a blown fuse here at the office yesterday and my PC didn´t start up again... Bios started, but no POST. I was really scared my HD died... fortunately, I took it off and plugged it on another pc and saw it worked ok, so took off ram to check the MB and beeps came... Bought and installed new ram and got it running again.

All this while vaping caramel tobacco and desert ship (I keep 2 pv´s with me almost all the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread