Status
Not open for further replies.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I got a slightly used, very slightly looks brand new, Reo Mini. I always wanted a Reo and the price was right. First night I used a 306 in it and worked really well. Next morning I put a HH .357 on and nothing. Put the 357 on another device and it worked. Put the 306 back on and nothing. Put the 306 on another device it worked well.

Looked up all the Youtube videos. Read the forums. Decided to take the Mini apart to clean. As I was looking at the small screw to take the lip off at the magnets the Button drew my attention. It looked too close to the body of the Reo. I pried gently up with a small screw driver between button and the body. Pop! The button moved higher. Put the battery back in and bingo, any atty I put on works fine.

Later that day it stopped working again. Sure enough the button is too close to the body again. Pried it up and firing fine again.

Is the anything I can do to switch out the button with one that works better? Is this broke? Or is it normal? Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
If you are referring to the large button top you can pop it off. Its an add on to the Reo. I took a little paper and wadded it up, put it in the hole of the cover to act as a spacer or shim. This will keep the button from sliding down so far. If it still does it put a little more material in it and try again.

To see how much pressure to put on the button place the Reo near your ear and gently press the button. You'll hear the coil fire up. Thats all the pressure you need to apply.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I got a slightly used, very slightly looks brand new, Reo Mini. I always wanted a Reo and the price was right. First night I used a 306 in it and worked really well. Next morning I put a HH .357 on and nothing. Put the 357 on another device and it worked. Put the 306 back on and nothing. Put the 306 on another device it worked well.

Looked up all the Youtube videos. Read the forums. Decided to take the Mini apart to clean. As I was looking at the small screw to take the lip off at the magnets the Button drew my attention. It looked too close to the body of the Reo. I pried gently up with a small screw driver between button and the body. Pop! The button moved higher. Put the battery back in and bingo, any atty I put on works fine.

Later that day it stopped working again. Sure enough the button is too close to the body again. Pried it up and firing fine again.

Is the anything I can do to switch out the button with one that works better? Is this broke? Or is it normal? Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have a button top? If it does then that is your problem. They can slide down enough to make firing impossible. Pry it off and put a little piece of paper in it. Put it back on but not too far.

If it does not have the button top then I would say it is due for a cleaning. Take off the atty, battery and juice bottle. Run it under hot water making sure you press the button down and turn it. Let it dry and it should be good.

gbacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Henderson, NV
It sounds like you have the button cap on it. It just slides over the actual button to make it more comfortable. You can remove it completely or take it off and put something under it between the button and the cap to keep it from sliding down so far again. Also you may want to check to make shred you aren't pushing the button to hard. It only takes a slight press to make it fire.

Man I type to slow...what they said ^^

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
this is what a button top looks like
untitled-1516-M.jpg

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I agree, it sounds like a button top. If it's not a button top then it sounds like a firing pin or melted button issue.

My Grand has a button top on it & I never had a problem with it until yesterday. I let an old buddy try it, the button rotated into the locked position, when he tried to fire it the button cover mashed down & this very same problem happened. Luckily I always carry a knife so I pried the button back up & took it off. After that it won't be going back on.

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I never ordered a button top in the first place. With a rotating lock, it looked like a problem to me.

And it can be. People say that it's much easier for it to rotate into the locked position with the button cover & it was for me. But after I adjusted the firing pin I didn't have that problem anymore. Some said they have done the same but the button still rotated very easily. Bending the firing pin slightly upwards did the trick for me though.

Again I never had an issue with the button. But after yesterday I don't want to have that happen again the next time I let someone try one of My Reos. Only my Grand had the button cover & it felt nice. But now I'll just do the same to my others as I did to my Mini 2.1

Img_3788_zpsffd2ba56.jpg

Img_3794_zpsc04ae9f7.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I like the button top but I position mine so that it hits the top of the REO just as it fires. That way I never put to much pressure on the fireing pin. Keeping it low also helps keep it from locking accidentally as easily.

Me too. Robert includes a little tube that's used to adjust the height of the button. But like you I posistion mine lower to the point where it just barely sits above the body when fired to account for button top differences. But yesterday I found out that the button can be pushed down even lower. I suppose I could just insert a shim in the button to prevent it from going lower but I think I will just ditch the button for now.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
this is what a button top looks like
untitled-1516-M.jpg

This is the button exactly. Looking from the side you could say it looks like a capital 'T', not a capital 'l'. And this makes sense. I didn't know that this was a separate cap that fits over the button. I thought the shaft was moving up and down, not just a cap that sits on top of the button itself.

Thanks all that responded. Love these forums.... & love this Reo Mini. Even more now that I know more about it.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
And it can be. People say that it's much easier for it to rotate into the locked position with the button cover & it was for me. But after I adjusted the firing pin I didn't have that problem anymore. Some said they have done the same but the button still rotated very easily. Bending the firing pin slightly upwards did the trick for me though.

Again I never had an issue with the button. But after yesterday I don't want to have that happen again the next time I let someone try one of My Reos. Only my Grand had the button cover & it felt nice. But now I'll just do the same to my others as I did to my Mini 2.1

Img_3788_zpsffd2ba56.jpg

That is a sweet button on that mini! I assume you made it yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread