Reo Grand doesn't cut it for Sub Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Id be much less concerned about the mod and more concerned about the incredible drain rates youre subjecting your batteries to with sub-ohm vaping.

In other words youre playing with fire and sooner or later one of you guys is going to hurt yourself........... badly.The problem with that is you wont be the only ones to suffer for it especially if it makes the news and casts vaping in a bad light or causes them to be banned in a certain locality or state.

The fact that you unrealistically expect a mod to to be able to perform to those extremes without doing any research or homework casts further aspersions on how well grounded in reality you are on this particular subject.

I would advise caution and taking the time to read the forums a little more thoroughly, especially Rolygates post on exploding batteries and anything that mentions drain rates.

This response may seem a little harsh but I'd prefer that over a mod or battery blowing up inches from someones face any day of the week.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
F.Y.I the reason Provape doesnt recommend sub-ohm or even LR cartomizers with a Provari is because anything under 2.5 ohms can set up a situation where a battery is discharging too rapidly and become volatile.

I saw a mod at Vapercon that started to smoke for this very reason.Thankfully someone had the presence of mind to run it down the stairs and throw it in the bushes where the battery continued to vent for a good while.

The culprits in this case were a sub-ohm coil and old batteries that had been used for close to a year.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
I looked in the Forums and never saw a mention that the REO wouldn't perform in Sub Ohm Vaping.
Is it odd to assume that if no one has complained with so many users out there that there is no problem.

To me a Mechanical is for Sub Ohm Vaping, It doesn't make sense for a individual who is vaping above an Ohm or 1.4 Ohm
to use a mechanical when the VV is so much better.

I do not do Sub Ohm Vaping. In fact, I do not even use a RBA. I do, however, do use a mechanical. I use a REO because it is dependable. I dumped an eVic to go to a mechanical. I am a long time smoker (40 years PAD) and I do not want to go back. If my PV breaks, I will have no choice. Therefore, I have two choices.... Buy a mechanical or a BUNCH of VV or VW devices. I cannot afford the BUNCH of devices, nor would I want to. I have better ways to direct my finances. I have a VW device that has been back to the manufacturer twice already. This is in the space of 1 month. I will not say who the manufacturer is, cause it is no one's business but the manufacturer and my own, but I can tell you it is NOT a REO, since they do not sell one.

From the flames that I've seen in this post. A post where I state my opinions and back them up with a video. I can understand why individuals are scared to post anything negative about the Reo Grand.

Did you ever think that individuals do not post anything negative because they have nothing negative to post? Or that the manufacturer is taking care of the situation? I did look at many many posts prior to purchasing both my VW and my REO. Neither manufacturer had negative posts. Both of them had posts where the manufacturer went above and beyond what is posted on their web site (yes, I read ALL of that as well).

Once again, to echo what others have stated, if you would have researched the product yourself, and studied what is published on the web site, we would not be in this situation.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
When I entered into this purchase,how could I know from all the positive reviews of the Reo that it would be so flawed, that I'd have no use for it. Do you really think that I'd buy 5 or so empty Bottles and a re-build kit if I expected it to fail.

I didn't even look at the FAQ or Warranty because no one ever posted that the REO had these problems. It had such a following and so many positive reviews, I never imagined that it could be so flawed, and that no one would post about it.

Maybe the hateful post I received from super_X_drifter is why someone would be scared to post an honest review of the Reo Grand with some strong negatives in it.

Tom, you sound as if the voltage drop is your main gripe which makes me wonder how well you did your research. My wife gave me a reo grand last week for my birthday. It is my first bottom feeder and I did a lot of reading and watching reviews before dropping hints on her.. The fourth one to pop up on youtube after typing "reo grand review" was a great one by 'basilray' where at around 8:35 he gets a .39 vd under load with a 1.5 atomizer. I get .42 vd with a rm2 @ 1.3Ω but it still vapes like a champ for me. My point being, if you get a .3x vd with a 1.5Ω , you can expect some serious voltage drop with .5Ω

Also you are incorrect about people being scared to post negative opinions. I gave honest first impressions in the reos forum and included what I thought were the negative points. Instead of flaming, I received helpful tips. Nobody hated on me.

I will also add it was the very helpful rm2 setup tutorial by super_X that assisted me to get mine rocking although I don't use that pansy cotton wick :D, xc-116 for the win. As for those users being a bad reflection on Rob, I can't speak to that but I do wonder what Marcus thinks of your fanatical, dogmatic posts on the boggerbox while reo bashing (yes, that's how you come across) that almost kept me from ordering one. Yes, I have a bogger on order.

Just being honest here mate, hope you enjoy your vape.

Id be much less concerned about the mod and more concerned about the incredible drain rates youre subjecting your batteries to with sub-ohm vaping.

In other words youre playing with fire and sooner or later...

Sorry zapped, I couldn't resist.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I believe you actually bought the REO with the intent to bash it - here's a thread where you bash them pretty good long before you bought one.

The 5 Amp VV Wood Bogger Box-Quality,Quality,Quality

No one who feels that strongly against something would suddenly go out and buy it unless they had similar intentions to yours (bashing it) in mind.

And this whole "Dude, I'm all about Sub ohm vaping" thing you got going on - come on, a few months ago you were opining new members which ego batteries and cartomizers to buy.

You should just enjoy your vape, get over it that no one gave you any free or discounted products and enjoy your life. :)

And if you consider my opinions "hateful" I'd say that you have lived a very sheltered life.

not sayin', jus' sayin'

josho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
CA
Why does it even matter, really?

Dude's looking for 15 minutes of fame by trolling his rear off on a subject that affects probably < .000001% of people who vape in general.

If I was considering buying a reo and saw this review, id simply pass him off as a suicidal ..... and it wouldn't sway my decision whatsoever.

You're giving him exactly what he wants by arguing with him over this, obviously his mind is made up and he isnt getting enough attention from the rest of the internet that he has to sit down and make a 45 minute on why he can't sit around and adequately risk having a battery vent to end his sad existence.

Let him rant, no one really cares.

Failure of logic too.. "I didnt see any posts that said it couldn't do sub-ohm".... what about posts that said it was perfect for it?

Even captain Kirk doesnt have enough facepalms for this crap.

josho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
CA
The internet is bad at showing sarcasm and ellipsis generally imply it, but im gonna assume you're being serious.

Honestly I'd like to own a reo at some point, and the "inability" to "sub-ohm vape" doesn't really deter me. 7.5w is more than enough for me. If I got a 1v drop trying to hit 20w, seriously wouldn't know the difference because I'd need a respirator anyways.

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Exactly, it doesn't matter. He will always dislike REO users from now on, fan boys or not, who cares. There will always be fan boys as people say, there will always be arguing, & they will never agree with each other. The way I see it, anytime someone calls someone a fan boy it's cause they have a dislike for them. Although some can get out of hand.

Only thing that I wonder (and I could care less too) is why specifically bash Reo? Cause he's a Bogger fan boy? Is that like Chevy & Ford or something? Seriously, I really don't know if that's the case. There are lots of mechs out there that don't "cut it for sub-ohm" vaping. As I said before "super sub-ohm" in his case & not all mechs in general weren't designed with sub-ohm capabilities in mind. So what about all those other mechs that don't cut it. How come he is not posting about any others as well? Want to spread the word that a certain mech isn't capable of sub-ohm that's fine, but why just only one? Is it really a BoggerBox better than Reo thing?

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
The internet is bad at showing sarcasm and ellipsis generally imply it, but im gonna assume you're being serious.

Honestly I'd like to own a reo at some point, and the "inability" to "sub-ohm vape" doesn't really deter me. 7.5w is more than enough for me. If I got a 1v drop trying to hit 20w, seriously wouldn't know the difference because I'd need a respirator anyways.

Not sarcasm. I appreciate your perspective.

josho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
CA
At the end of the day does it really matter if one uses a provari, reo, bogger, even an ego? The whole point of this is to find what works for you and the general consensus is that YMMV with everything.
It strays so far from the point that if it keeps you off of a pack of smokes a day you're better off. Step back from the pride and self righteousness for just a minute and everyone wins.

One person's results, as "scientific" as they claim it to be, hardly follows true scientific process and hardly proves a darn thing. It's an opinion and nothing more.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
The above Video is ridiculous.
It is possible to blow voluminous vape on a under powered Atomizer.

I've made my own video below and shown how I can make as much vape on an
1.1 RBA at 20 watts around 4.6v and a 1.1 Atomizer at 7 Watts 3.4V [Under powered to me]

The difference was the temperature of the Vape.

All I've asked from the Reo Fan Boys is that they prove or disprove my test that the Reo Grand at .5Ohm
drops 1-1.2V, they blow a lot of vape with subjective opinions but not one of them has come out with
anything scientific to disprove my test.

Watch Video below and laugh at us both.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
At the end of the day does it really matter if one uses a provari, reo, bogger, even an ego? The whole point of this is to find what works for you and the general consensus is that YMMV with everything.
It strays so far from the point that if it keeps you off of a pack of smokes a day you're better off. Step back from the pride and self righteousness for just a minute and everyone wins.

One person's results, as "scientific" as they claim it to be, hardly follows true scientific process and hardly proves a darn thing. It's an opinion and nothing more.
I tested a Reo Grand, .50 Ohm atomizer. It had a 1-1.2V Voltage Drop. This extreme drop which is .75 under other mechanicals made the vape too cool

I can accept that others may enjoy a cool vape at .5Ohm but the information about this voltage drop is very important to any who are considering the REO because it's a "Mechanical" and don't realize that the performance at the Sub Ohm level is inferior..

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
We all have our own ways of ascertaining the validity (or lack thereof) of claims of fact which we encounter in our little lives. One well known principle in the discipline of science is repeatability. It is certainly as important an aspect of gaining some knowledge of "reality" as is initial observation and testing. In fact, until there are "repeated" results, we consider one's claims to be mere assertions. Take for example cold fusion. Y'all remember that business?

So, in this case, I found the following approach to be the most direct and distinctive way to assess the validity of Newman's claims:

1: You make some attempt at vaping subΩ on a REO Grand. It doesn't work for you. You make bold and loud assertions about the "fact" that the mod doesn't work.

2: I say (in effect) "here, gimme that thing, let me try it" (In fact, after you force-return your mod, I acquire it, and proceed to vape it @ 0.5 & 0.6Ω)

3: I say, in fact, "Bullsh_it. . . . . Works GREAT!"

Rudimentary, but oh so direct. Game over.

harley05

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Scarborough, Maine
I put racing slicks on my Mazda pickup truck and it still drifts when I make sharp turns at 115mph.

The tires are obviously defective. They should be redesigned to work as intended on small pickup trucks.

Yes, but if that was two years ago, then those tires weren't designed for today's high performance 4 cylinder Mazda's. The new tires btw, are made of wood.....

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Enough with the personal attacks!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread