Replacing coils every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftyviking

Mar 11, 2018
Hi everyone. So I’m relatively new to vaping. (About a month or so). Problem is I’m having to replace coils every other day. I was using a smok baby beast. Then switched to a kangertech because I needed to replace coils every other day with the baby beast. Well I’m having to do that with the kangertech. I’m vaping in the wattage specs given on the coil. I’m priming properly. Not dry hitting. And giving it a few seconds between hits. Any recommendations???? I’m at a loss as are the vape shops.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Leftyviking

Mar 11, 2018
How much juice do you go through in a day, and what kind of juice is it? Some juices gunk up wicks & coils at a far faster rate than others. As a general rule, the sweeter and darker it is, the worse it is in that respect.
Maybe 15 ml. I do vape sweet flavors but clear. Not dark colors. I usually pull for about three or four seconds.

Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If you have wattage set at or near the upper end of "wattage specs given" and only "giving it a few seconds between hits", "having to replace coils every other day" is not that surprising while using "sweet flavors." Try lowering the watts to around or even just below the "best at" bottom end and give it a couple minutes between hits. If that gives you better coil life, you can decide how hard/often you want to hit it and at what cost.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I am not sure if you diy but on my wifes nautilus coils i soak them in a seperate tank with 50/50 unflavored juice for maybe 2 hours. I then transfer that coil to her tank. I get 6 weeks at around 5 ml a day before i change it. The coil still performs fine. I have been doing this for 18 months without a problem. She uses quite dark and strong vanilla juice. My theory is that the soaking with unflavored stops the sweet juice sticking to the cotton fibres. A bit like the difference between soaking up red wine with a damp or a dry sponge. This method really works.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Maybe 15 ml. I do vape sweet flavors but clear. Not dark colors. I usually pull for about three or four seconds.
Even some clearer juices can gunk up your coils. I don't use any blueberry flavors for that reason... Does it seem like the coil is getting enough juice into it?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Prime well, break it in slowly by starting at low power and slowly dial it up until you like the vape. Ignore the ratings on the coil. They're inflated to attract buyers as folks like big numbers. Chances are the power you settle on will be below or at the bottom end of the "recommended" wattage. Don't vape the tank all the way down before refilling, I will refill before I hit the top of the juice slots. That way no potential drying out of the cotton.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Good morning all. Some great comebacks! I've read a few of these threads and I'm always curious what the spec of the coil is and what the heck does it look like. Still marvel after all these years why…the pic! the pic!…is rarely asked for. I mean really, are we that into reading?

Even some clearer juices can gunk up your coils. I don't use any blueberry flavors for that reason... Does it seem like the coil is getting enough juice into it?

Good point. Complex pigments are not necessarily visible. Sugars are particularly pernicious where accretion is concerned. Problem is that makers' formulas vary and aren't usually the noted flavoring alone but a recipe perhaps containing additional flavorings and other ingredients. Don't find blueberry or vanilla to be particularly dirty (ex. madagascar, or a pure or partial extraction) vs. caramels or some custards. Again, the spec is important. Otherwise, testing is the only way to be sure. And to come back on point…before we get to having to diagnose a gunk problem. Why? because it could be the performance of the device. But it's hard to diagnose if the juice is suspect (why I love RDA's and rebuilding).
Hi everyone. So I’m relatively new to vaping. (About a month or so). Problem is I’m having to replace coils every other day. I was using a smok baby beast. Then switched to a kangertech because I needed to replace coils every other day with the baby beast. Well I’m having to do that with the kangertech. I’m vaping in the wattage specs given on the coil. I’m priming properly. Not dry hitting. And giving it a few seconds between hits. Any recommendations???? I’m at a loss as are the vape shops.

Can I tell ya, I love the Kanger's for getting things right, for the simplicity. I build to a standard precisely so that assessing hardware and ultimately juices is ultimately simpler. That's really my point for answering here. Get rid of the easy stuff first…the wind itself, the mechanics used for installation and device parameters/setups…which we're going to do repeatedly anyway. Be certain of that and then the subtle differences which can make or break a juice's performance can be far, far easier to isolate. And all the above does become much easier with repetition. So a baseline approach is key. All we can do and know is controlled for. The big mystery, the great unknown, at the end of the day is what we're vaping. But you all know I was gonna say that, right?

LV build a tensioned Kanthal microcoil to a metric, at least 7/64" for the KST and high power which I gather you're using (>25W). Rec's are good that you start from the lower side but I hesitate to suggest anything without seeing your wind/s. Takes seconds to make this, oxidize and space (if you insist later for contrast) either before are after burn-in. Point is to try to get to the most predictable thermal result as possible. On the ST I wouldn't space as the post-to-post spread is narrow. It will lengthen the coil minimizing turn count and surface area. This is kinda how you get into the over-powered gunking winds zone (smart move to ditch the multi-wire with the juice you're trying to nail down). That can come later.

Few simple tools and some wire and you'll have baseline you can weigh any kind of build or coil product against. Why? You'll be able to replicate the exact flavor and performance on demand to use for comparison. Hope this makes some sense and is useful to you.

Good luck LV. :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I am not sure if you diy but on my wifes nautilus coils i soak them in a seperate tank with 50/50 unflavored juice for maybe 2 hours. I then transfer that coil to her tank. I get 6 weeks at around 5 ml a day before i change it. The coil still performs fine. I have been doing this for 18 months without a problem. She uses quite dark and strong vanilla juice. My theory is that the soaking with unflavored stops the sweet juice sticking to the cotton fibres. A bit like the difference between soaking up red wine with a damp or a dry sponge. This method really works.
    Impressive! I soak my nautilus coils for days and alternate two devices and get maybe 3wks. I only vape unflavored.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I am not sure if you diy but on my wifes nautilus coils i soak them in a seperate tank with 50/50 unflavored juice for maybe 2 hours.…
    Impressive! I soak my nautilus coils for days and alternate two devices and get maybe 3wks. I only vape unflavored.

I agree. Presoak (and pre-vape) to break in new media def works quite well. Can't say conclusively as to straight PG, I'm sensitive and minimize its use. I pre-vape all with straight VG to marvelous results. Perhaps due VG's higher spec density (part water). It seems to me tho that PG/VG priming wick or installation are better with synthetics than organics tho. Rotation absolutely works. Avoiding over-heating (the finger is a great thermometer) always holds back the dregs.

Good luck. :)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Overheating is deadly to coils, I have found that out by having much more daily setups running. My coil life is vastly improved, and I vape low wattages and don't chain vape.

Since you are having the problem in both setups, I am going to assume that somehow your juice is gunking your coils very quickly, or you are vaping too much, at too high wattage, too close together.

I am really impressed at how my coil life improved. I DIY e-liquid so I use less flavors, but not NO flavors.

I'd suggest lowering wattage if you can, using both tanks and rotating them if/when chain vaping and also taking a look at whether you really "need" as high a wattage as you are using. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Just Curious...

But what type of Watts and you putting into What type of Coil?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Pigments that are not visible... Strikes me as self-contradictory. :confused:

Badly stated, my bad; better mebe as, not as apparently visible.

Wouldn't say a pigment doesn't have a color, if that's what you mean. Rather I'd suggest the color or saturation may not be as apparent given other ingredients affecting perceived color. Anything with almost any tab ingredient will tend to accrue like mad. Even as it may even very slightly effect the color density of a liquid. So the composition of the flavoring itself impacts color overall. But why and how some might tend to come together to foul coil and media is a longer discussion.

Good luck. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread