Coil Problems !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Donovan

Oct 7, 2018
I’m getting so frustrated it’s unfit. I’ve been vaping for awhile and rarely had this issue, now it’s every damn new coil. Over $40 in new coils in the last day. I get a new one. Prime it properly and do everything like normal and it still tastes awful, every new coil does it now and I’m getting ....... Yesterday when I put the new one in it was fine. All of a sudden it tasted burnt after not tasting burnt for like 30 puffs, then I inhaled one puff a long time and it tasted awful and now every coil I get is tasting this way. I have a freemax fireluke mesh sub ohm. 40-90W but it says 0.15 ohm so In the settings where it says adjust initial ohm I put it on .140 and it’s still the same. I’ve noticed it doesn’t seem to stay saturated. I add juice to the cotton and let it absorb and then I let it sit in the tank with juice for 20 mins and it looks saturated and after a few drags it looks dry again. No matter how much I saturate and how well i prime it it keeps drying out with every coil and it just keeps tasting like the cotton I never had this issue before, I’m so frustrated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
I’m getting so frustrated it’s unfit. I’ve been vaping for awhile and rarely had this issue, now it’s every damn new coil. Over $40 in new coils in the last day. I get a new one. Prime it properly and do everything like normal and it still tastes awful, every new coil does it now and I’m getting ....... Yesterday when I put the new one in it was fine. All of a sudden it tasted burnt after not tasting burnt for like 30 puffs, then I inhaled one puff a long time and it tasted awful and now every coil I get is tasting this way. I have a freemax fireluke mesh sub ohm. 40-90W but it says 0.15 ohm so In the settings where it says adjust initial ohm I put it on .140 and it’s still the same. I’ve noticed it doesn’t seem to stay saturated. I add juice to the cotton and let it absorb and then I let it sit in the tank with juice for 20 mins and it looks saturated and after a few drags it looks dry again. No matter how much I saturate and how well i prime it it keeps drying out with every coil and it just keeps tasting like the cotton I never had this issue before, I’m so frustrated.
I had issues with those coils too. Not quite like you but they would burn out, die within days. I stopped using the tank altogether because of it. Mine would be dry hitting by day 3.

Emily Donovan

Oct 7, 2018
I had issues with those coils too. Not quite like you but they would burn out, die within days. I stopped using the tank altogether because of it. Mine would be dry hitting by day 3.
The lady at the shop said she never has people come in with this issue. It happened to me a couple of random times but more often than not it didn’t happen and I loved the tank and coil. They typically last me almost a month. The other day I was using it and all of a sudden I hauled long and it tasted weird. Ever since, whenever I put a new coil in and prime it, it tastes like this, no matter what I do. I cleaned out the tank and even tried using a
Different fireluke tank. God I hope I’m not gonna have to buy another tank. I don’t understand why it’s happening but I can tell that the issue is the cotton won’t stay saturated. I saturated the .... out of it and after a few hits it goes dry again, I don’t know why it’s happening. It has to be the either the mod or tank and it would suck if I did get a new tank and it’s the mod. I currently have a smok h-priv 2. If I do decide to get a new tank, got any recommendations for tanks with coils that last a long time? I can’t afford to buy coils weekly and these ones usually last a month or atleast 3 weeks and they aren’t even working period now

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The lady at the shop said she never has people come in with this issue. It happened to me a couple of random times but more often than not it didn’t happen and I loved the tank and coil. They typically last me almost a month. The other day I was using it and all of a sudden I hauled long and it tasted weird. Ever since, whenever I put a new coil in and prime it, it tastes like this, no matter what I do. I cleaned out the tank and even tried using a
Different fireluke tank. God I hope I’m not gonna have to buy another tank. I don’t understand why it’s happening but I can tell that the issue is the cotton won’t stay saturated. I saturated the .... out of it and after a few hits it goes dry again, I don’t know why it’s happening. It has to be the either the mod or tank and it would suck if I did get a new tank and it’s the mod. I currently have a smok h-priv 2. If I do decide to get a new tank, got any recommendations for tanks with coils that last a long time? I can’t afford to buy coils weekly and these ones usually last a month or atleast 3 weeks and they aren’t even working period now
It theoretically could be the mod if it’s delivering the wrong level of power. Ordinarily I’d say no, but SMOK has such a terrible manufacturing reputation that it’s not impossible. Easy way to check though: see if they have a tester mod at the vape store, prime your coil, put it in and try it. If it works fine with a different mod it’s the mod.

Emily Donovan

Oct 7, 2018
It theoretically could be the mod if it’s delivering the wrong level of power. Ordinarily I’d say no, but SMOK has such a terrible manufacturing reputation that it’s not impossible. Easy way to check though: see if they have a tester mod at the vape store, prime your coil, put it in and try it. If it works fine with a different mod it’s the mod.
God I hope it’s not the damn mod. They aren’t cheap and it’s not even that old. If it is I’m not going back to it. Any suggestions for a good mod?

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece

Take a needle or something and poke a few holes in the cotton at the juice flow ports to allow better saturation

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
:laugh: Wish I had a dollar for every time some retailer said "thats the first I ever heard of that". Standard business reply.
Worked in a shop where a product had a number of issues. Just myself I had sent back at least 20 of these products to the manufacturers service department. Another comes in so I call them to tell them I'm sending another and when could the customer expect the replacement. I was told " that's the first time iv heard of that problem". I said, really, first time, so you have forgotten the other 20 conversations we have had on this exact same issue?" He tries to laugh it off as he was so used to saying it. I know of others who have had the same issue as mine and like me they complained to Freemax and were ignored.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Take a needle or something and poke a few holes in the cotton at the juice flow ports to allow better saturation
But not right through or itll leak like a sieve. Still should not need to do that with any coil, if you do then they have serious wicking issues and it's a bad product. But I get your advice, just not all the way through. You didn't say to I know but also didn't elaborate on how.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
God I hope it’s not the damn mod. They aren’t cheap and it’s not even that old. If it is I’m not going back to it. Any suggestions for a good mod?
Rule #1 is anything that isn’t SMOK. For a DL atty you probably want a dual battery or large capacity LiPo mod. Either way they’re biguns. There’s a lot of fondness for the geekvape ageis legend around here, primarily because it’s rugged and therefore lasts a long time. Plus theyre fairly cheap. It’s as big as dual battery mods get though. It runs on 2x18650s so you’ll need a pair or 4 of those as well, plus something to charge them with. See Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum for battery and charger advice. Batteries are complicated so it’s a bit of a read. Its worth doing though. Batteries are potentially the most dangerous part of vaping. You should be able to get all of that in decent quality for under a Benjamin total online. The mod itself tends to go for $50 or so. The bright side is even if it turns out to not be the mod you’re still set for backups and any other vape you get in the future. Also a good charger will usually charge ANY rechargeable battery that will fit in it, so they’re often good for rechargeable AAs as well. A handy thing to have around. I’ve got two. a nitecore and an Xtar dragon which I bought in a sudden fit of retail therapy but do not regret. That’s sort of both ends of the price scale there.

Last edited:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Rule #1 is anything that isn’t SMOK. For a DL atty you probably want a dual battery or large capacity LiPo mod. Either way they’re biguns. There’s a lot of fondness for the geekvape ageis legend around here, primarily because it’s rugged and therefore lasts a long time. Plus theyre fairly cheap. It’s as big as dual battery mods get though. It runs on 2x18650s so you’ll need a pair or 4 of those as well, plus something to charge them with. See Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum for battery and charger advice. Batteries are complicated so it’s a bit of a read.its worth doing though. Batteries are potentially the most dangerous part of vaping. You should be able to get all of that in decent quality for under a Benjamin total. The bright side is even if it turns out to not be the mod you’re still set for backups and any other vape you get in the future. Also a good charger will usually charge ANY rechargeable battery that will fit in it, so they’re often good for rechargeable AAs as well. A handy thing to have around.

LiPo ?

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Emily Donovan, first of all it sounds as though your getting a little confused with watts and ohms.

Watts = Power (40 to 90,)

Ohms = Resistance (0.15)

So first try inputting these in your mod, to see if there's any improvement. Start at lowest wattage and use a little, work your way up slowly until you get a satisfying vape and take notes or a picture.

If you're mods not liking you still, you could look at Vaporesso. Armour Pro, Switcher, Luxe, all of them work well. And you at least shouldn't need a new tank though, just the mod.

After starting with a SMOK Procolour and moving to a Vaporesso Switcher, I was surprised. It worked and it's still working now, but Luxe with 8ml Skrr tank looked so tempting.

And as for batteries, LG HB6 or Samsung 20S 18650's. If you're looking bigger at 21700, Samsung 30T or 40T.

And never, charge your batteries in your mod if you can. Use a decent external charger.

Last edited:
  • Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sorry to hear about your issue.
If you buy online you may find the cost of a better mod significantly less than buying a smok mod from a store.

Mods I have liked (2 battery) your mileage may vary: Innoken Proton, the geekvape legend (nearly indestructible, large, but also excellent) the invoke Eleaf (you can get this very cheaply very light and compact mod, not a ton of bells and whistles but you may not need them), Vapresso Revenger, AsmODus Minikin V2 (bit pricier, lovely mod) Steampunk nano 120. (that's an older mod) bur really... there are so many.

You may want to poke around and find some mod threads and see what folks are liking, also some vendor threads, to see what is being sold inexpensively and where.

I'm not Entirely sure your mod is the problem, honestly but you should have a backup anyway, so I'm offering some suggestions.

However, IDK what is going on with the coils but you DO need a dedicated external charger you can pick one up (again, online) for a pretty minimal cost if you don't go for too many bells and whistles, etc.
Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread