Research Article show vaping "doesn't" help smokers quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBob Smith

Multiple ID Suspension
Jul 18, 2018
Has anyone seen this research article?

Are electronic nicotine delivery systems helping cigarette smokers quit? Evidence from a prospective cohort study of U.S. adult smokers, 2015–2016
Are electronic nicotine delivery systems helping cigarette smokers quit? Evidence from a prospective cohort study of U.S. adult smokers, 2015–2016

I finished reading it the other day and would love to hear if anyone else took the time to read it. I saw a bunch of hole-in-the-wall news sites talking about this, so I had to take a look.

It's a fairly inconclusive study, considering the low sample size. but I did see an interesting silver lining. They showed that smokers who used e cigs stated that 35% completely switched. As apposed to only 11% of smokers who didn't use e cigs but used NRT products to quit. While they don't acknowledge this, it brought a smile to my face. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So vaping Doesn't help Smokers Quit. OK.

Lets take a Look at What's Going On?

"Conclusions
We found no evidence that ENDS use, within context of the 2015–2016 US regulatory and tobacco/vaping market landscape, helped adult smokers quit at rates higher than smokers who did not use these products. ..."

and...

"Competing interests: MPE has received funding in the form of grant funding from Pfizer..."

Well, if the Fine Folks at pfizer says that Vaping Doesn't Work, then it Must be True. I mean, they would Never Lie or Distort the Truth. Right?

The Fine Folks at pfizer.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yet, that data would appropriately exceed the "placebo vape" standard (if they even had one I don't think they do, other than just up and quitting?

Also, that cohort group was entirely too short, I know of so many vapers who didn't even approach LOW dual use standards in like a couple years.

But yes, it was nicely massaged I guess, I'd love to see CHANTIX's rates of quitting (excluding quitting via suicide/homicide etc.) and how great IT is. Seriously.

Anna

JimBob Smith

Multiple ID Suspension
Jul 18, 2018
So Vaping Doesn't help Smokers Quit. OK.

Lets take a Look at What's Going On?

"Conclusions
We found no evidence that ENDS use, within context of the 2015–2016 US regulatory and tobacco/vaping market landscape, helped adult smokers quit at rates higher than smokers who did not use these products. ..."

and...

"Competing interests: MPE has received funding in the form of grant funding from Pfizer..."

Well, if the Fine Folks at pfizer says that Vaping Doesn't Work, then it Must be True. I mean, they would Never Lie or Distort the Truth. Right?

The Fine Folks at pfizer.
That's something I didn't know until I actually just looked up what Chantix is. Never heard of it before. That makes this article even more shady.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's something I didn't know until I actually just looked up what Chantix is. Never heard of it before. That makes this article even more shady.

Have you ever seen one of those "Studies" that says Eating Red Meat is Bad for you? And then when you Look closely, you notice that it was Funded by the Poultry Association of America? Or Visa Versa?

The Funders are willing to shell Out Big Money on Slanted "Studies" because they know that Very Few people actually read who funds studies.

All that's really Important is that a "Result" that favors the Funder is plastered across Internet in One Sentence Headline form.

And the Media is More than Happy to do this. Because they are Not about Facts or Balance Reporting anymore. It's All about Who can get the Most Clicks for their Advertisers. Because Clicks = $$$

And Guess what. Pfizer is a Big Time Cash Cow when it comes to Advertising Dollars.

So the Cycle is Complete.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, I'll bet ANYONE any amount of money that if my mom visits again, she will say, 'Did you know those things don't help you quit?" as I blow vape at her knee (because I'm all polite like that). I'd bet it enough to record her her entire visit, because it might also be nice for ME to have a sort of "highlights reel" of sorts, like, you know for the sibs PLUS myself to listen to when I think my life might be too grim.

Me and my mom love each other BEST over at least A THOUSAND miles away, I should totally get a family harmony restraining order.

Anna

Helped me, I had a few goes on a mate's Coolfire IV with TFV8 and then went out and bought my first setup. Ignored the advice to get a 'little cigalike' went for Smok GX350 and TFV12 Cloud Beast King, never smoked since, they smell bad, make you smell bad, make your house smell bad and KILL YOU! case closed for the defence!

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
Chantix success rate is 19% after one year. Pfizer, the maker of Chantix, states the rate is 44%. I tried it awhile back.

I tried Chantix 7 years ago and did notice it made me want to smoke less. BUT, I got, late one night, the intense desire to end my life. Thank God, there were no guns in the house. It took me a half-hour of total despair BEFORE I realized what was going on. So, I am one of the people that might have committed suicide because of Chantix. The next year I found vaping and and so grateful. I reported it to my doctor the next morning and told her I was quitting Chantix, and that she should report it to Pfizer.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I tried Chantix 7 years ago and did notice it made me want to smoke less. BUT, I got, late one night, the intense desire to end my life. Thank God, there were no guns in the house. It took me a half-hour of total despair BEFORE I realized what was going on. So, I am one of the people that might have committed suicide because of Chantix. The next year I found vaping and and so grateful. I reported it to my doctor the next morning and told her I was quitting Chantix, and that she should report it to Pfizer.

What happed to you is an All Too Familiar thing to me...

Hi Jasjas. Welcome to the ECF.

Good to Hear that e-Cigarettes are Helping You. They helped me Kick a 20 Year Pack-a-Day Habit.

I have known 3 People who have used Chantix.

One tried it and it Didn't Work.
One tried it and Cut Down. But felt Strange and Stopped. And Started Smoking Again.
One tried it and after 4 Days decided that Jumping out of a 7th Story Window at 3:30am was a Good Idea.

Thank God she woke up her boyfriend as she started to climb out the widow. And he was able to Stop Her.

Vaping after disaster with champix

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

I called someone home from work to get my guns when I was on Wellbutrin.
That should never be an acceptable side effect for anything let alone quitting smoking.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here's my take on that study.

FDA/NIH funded junk study authors exclude all vapers who quit smoking from their biased study of professional Tobacco Survey participants, while including lots of dual users (including many who only occasionally vaped), then claim vaping doesn’t help smokers quit smoking;
News media repeat authors claims as factual, fail to expose extremely biased research methods that were designed to promote FDA’s cigarette protecting Deeming Rule that bans sales of all vapor products.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0198047&type=printable
Vaping Doesn’t Often Help Smokers Quit, New Study Finds

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Speaking for myself here, the vape is not some magic pill where on Monday you're a smoker, on Tuesday you're not.

First, those dadstardly dudes are so good at providing what the smoker is looking for. Chemicals, function, flavor, and convenience. The modern day cigarette is a marvelous thing. For a few who can have a few a week it's great. For the rest of us it's a nightmare.

Second, vape won't replace the smoke as long as the smoker does not mind smoking. You have to want to quit. Enough to fight urges for quite some time for many.

I find a device close to a cigarrete gets me through the day without as many of the real thing. Today at work I carried my tobacco flavored juice pod with me some 100 yards away from my cigarettes knowing I'd be away from them for a while. The pod did the trick.

Now as soon as I returned to those dastardly dudes they were speaking to me. "Where you been?" "Smoke me first" and all that jazz. The part of me that wants to cease smoking at all won that battle. But there are times the dastardly dudes can be pretty convincing, vape device user or not. And some folks just don't want the hassles of charging a battery, refilling a tank etc.

I believe in time more folks will find e-cigs the way to go. Recently a lady and her son entered a vape shop I was in. He wanted some juice. When the proprietor asked "can I help you?" to the mom she quipped "no, I like smoking".... "I don't want to be hassled by those fake things that quit when you need them most" she said.
She left with an air pod. lol.... so yeah, as products get more like what a smoker wants the ratio will probably go up accordingly.

So will vaping help me stop? Probably not. I need to do that myself in a hard fast decision that I do not want to smoke anymore cigarettes. Will it help me stay stopped. Probably so. But again choices will have to take place.... at least at first anyway.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Speaking for myself here, the vape is not some magic pill where on Monday you're a smoker, on Tuesday you're not.
For some it is, and for others it isn't. I was a 40-45 a day guy for many years. I started vaping on a Friday afternoon in December of 2013. Saturday I had four cigs. That was also the day I found and joined ECF. Sunday I had two. Monday and Tuesday, one each. And that was it.

Although I certainly wanted to quit smoking, I didn't think I could. In fact I haven't "quit" in the traditional sense of forbidding myself from ever smoking one again. I just don't smoke anymore.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
There is no panacea for smokers. Some quit cold turkey others find success with the patch, gum, Chantix, etc.. and thats ok. Whatever gets you off cigarettes and keeps you off is a winning solution.

For me, I tried the patch, just increased my nicotine intake as I smoked while wearing the patch, gum same story, I am coordinated so I was able to smoke and chew at the same time. Cold turkey. tried it several times, those around me offered to run to the store to buy me cigarettes. Then I found vaping, I smoked when and where permitted and vaped where I wasn't permitted to smoke, this lasted about a week and I gave up cigarettes, that was over 6 years ago, haven't wanted or need one since. Started at 24mg now at 0 to 3mg. I can say with out hesitation if it weren't for vaping I'd still be smoking 2.5 to 3 pad.

I tried Chantix and it worked for 7 months until I woke up one night hand on my pistol. That ended the Chantix, I do miss the 3D dreams that Chantix provided.

So if each of the methods listed allowed 100,000 people to quit, net result is still 400,000 non smokers. Vaping added 100,000 to the list that may not have made it any other way, winner.

BTW my take on their conclusion - complete and total BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread