Status
Not open for further replies.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
What about all the vape stores that have popped up in the last 5 years or so? They are not there because people are wishy-washy about vaping! Obviously, there's a lot of committed vapers out there to keep them in business. I know not all vape stores make it, but there's still a lot out there. I agree, a total BS study!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IMHO opinion, no one method is going to help a smoker quit, and no one method at any given TIME is going to help a smoker quit, you have to be ready. In my personal opinion, vaping has helped more "chronic hopeless" smokers quit, the ones that have tried everything, but failed, and feel like nothing will work. I don't begrudge pharmaceutical options (besides maybe Chantix) and I also did NOT quit the first time I encountered vaping. It's not a panacea, but what it does for the (hopeless me) is give me something I can tolerate and enjoy after the initial discomfort, and something that satisfies almost all aspects of the addiction I had.

I quit for 18 months when pregnant and nursing, and I wanted a cigarette as much on day 18 months as I did on day 1. That did not happen with smoking. Even the most determined cold turkey quitter can experience recidivism.

But what makes harm reduction so successful in general (in my opinion) is that it has a trickle down effect. Less smoking parents, friends, and teens experimenting with vape produces-- less smoking peers, experimentation, parents to steal tobacco from, modeling, etc. If vaping is allowed to continue, I kind of see a possible world where no next generation is taking up smoking in a meaningful way, like more than 1% which isn't enough for BT to survive on.

Hence the hysteria and blind taxation and regulation of vaping. Scientists in the pocket of BT or Mother's against vaping and most certainly governments all see this to be true. They're not afraid of vapes harning ANYONE (besides the lemmings following the sheep) they're afraid vaping will cause cigarettes to become redundant.

And yes, the conclusion is BS.

Anna

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
I was one of the lucky ones. I had no intention of quitting and received my first e-cig for Christmas in 2011. I had the same mind set of others at the time that e-cigs were no better that cigarettes and possibly worst. With in 4-5 days however I saw my Lites going unused and the 1 1/2 packs sitting on the shelf to remind me. I didn't look back, no need. About 3 months later, I wondered and reached for the 1/2 pack to light up to see. EMPTY !!!! Grabbed the full pack, EMPTY !!!! Wife beat me to them and I didn't even care. Yes after about 2 years, my wife also quit and is vaping now. I started at 24mg with cig-a-likes, and we are both down to 3-6mg depending on device used. I just works. I didn't like the idea of using drugs, gum or patches. Heck I don't even take aspirin unless I just can't take it anymore.

generic 80s name

Sep 3, 2018
None of the doctors I've seen over the years were exactly enthusiastic about vaping as an alternative, but they all to one degree or another expressed some level of support of vaping as a means of quitting smoking. ALL of them refused to hand out Chantix to me when I asked for it, though, for good reason. Once I ended up with Wellbutrin, but the loopiness it gave me didn't work out so well. In my purely anecdotal experience, doctors prefer vaping to Chantix. I trust my doctors.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I skipped over the most important part of the study although I may be wrong. The participants were recruited, they weren't smokers who desired to quit ,necessarily.

I think I will express the conclusion in a joke format:

How many researchers and vape setups does it take for a smoker to switch to vaping?
One researcher and one vape (and one backup) only the smoker has to want to switch.

I now find this study even MORE worthless and I can't believe I missed the motivation part etc.

Anna

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
/disagree

after smoking for 10+ years, i must disagree. i can't even remember the last time i had a cigarette. vaping works. this study's findings are nonsense imo lol. ENDS don't help? yeah, okay. except i'm sitting here smoke-free after god knows how many attempts to quit without the assistance of vaping.

but on the other side, i do recognize that it's a troubling question whether or not i've actually "quit" or whether i'm just postponing my return to smoking. i don't know. i really don't. but at this time, so long as i have e-liquid and a vape, i don't even think about smoking. good enough for now if you ask me.

Reactions: LaraC

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
Who cares? I quit smoking in 2010 with e-cigs after trying to quit 8 times prior using various methods. Haven't smoked a cigarette since 4/1/10. Now tell me why I should care that a "study" shows ecigs won't help me quit. I already did. And so have millions of other people worldwide, while others are "dual users" who have substantially reduced their cigarette use, and who undoubtedly count as "non quitters" for purposes of these studies.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Who cares? I quit smoking in 2010 with e-cigs after trying to quit 8 times prior using various methods. Haven't smoked a cigarette since 4/1/10. Now tell me why I should care that a "study" shows ecigs won't help me quit. I already did. And so have millions of other people worldwide, while others are "dual users" who have substantially reduced their cigarette use, and who undoubtedly count as "non quitters" for purposes of these studies.
We all need to care. This type of "fake" research paper hurts all of us when government officials use it to validate their actions against the vaping industry and against vapers in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread