Research done, now what should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
When I think of status symbol mods I think of ltd ed mechs where you need to know right people and be in the right place at the right time to get one.

Anybody who is willing to pay can get a truck load of provaris sent to their house.
REO can be a little harder, but they are far from unobtanium.

And outside of new vapers on egos and cigalike users, I am not sure who you would impress with either.

You're kidding right? Cajuns are born with fishing poles in their hands![emoji41] Yeah cigs are a lot cheaper in Louisiana than a lot of places. Marlboro is a little less than $6 a pack actually

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Despite all our nanny laws, still cheaper in CA. Not that I care now.

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all the help and the comedy :) I settled on a SmokTech. Gonna give that one a run. If it gives out after 6 months....then, after applying an owner operators sense of quality versus short term fix, I'll Provari me-self to death!

BTW, after ordering the ST, I stumbled over the Innokin VV...had all the bells and whistles I wanted except one....800 mAh??? REALLY? Love my eGo's 1000 mAh batts. Don't wanna step down, just up :) I'm admitting that I like the appearance of the dual coil BCC tanks. Plus the added volume of liquid that they hold. A Protank2 is in my future. And, once the Smoktech arrives, I'll see if the Evod2s work or if they both came with a failed coil assembly.

I'm not looking to produce copious clouds of vapor, just get my nic fix. I bought a starter kit from Rocky Top and put down the dry twigs the day it arrived.

Again, I truly appreciate the help and suggestions. Thank you all very much and Keep on Chuffin' ! :vapor:

Last edited:

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Which "smoktech" model did you buy? I assume you bought batteries too since it sounds like this is your first 18000 series mod? Or was it a kit?
The SID model VV/VW. Yes, 2 Efest 2000 IMR18650 3.7v Li_MN High drain re-chargable flat-tops. One Trustfire dual battery recharging station. I have pics but, need to re-size them before posting. I'll post them up in a few hours.

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just arrived today. Haven't even loaded the batteries yet, lol.

Smoktech battery.jpg Smoktech and stuff.jpg Smoktech SID.jpg
Smoktech recharge.jpg

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I hope you totally love it!

About the VVs, don't discount them if you like them (I do, a lot); if you have two, you can always have a charged one on hand (plus passthrough if you need it in the moment). But if you're on the go a lot yeah, it's not super easy to wrangle all that. But the VV 3 and the MVP (no problem with battery life there) are really good devices, I think. I do have some more expensive stuff now that I really love, but I still use my VVs and MVP every day, and feel like they hold their own in comparison.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Every device that uses the 33.3Hz chip uses the chip designed and made by Yihiecigar for VV/VW 3-15W and sold to any APV manufacturer that wants to use them. That includes Vamo, SID, Sigelei Zmax, Smok Zmax, Innokin SVD, etc., etc, etc. Each manufacturer will contribute their own firmware, electronics and other hardware of course. And they work well and vape perfectly well...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...73532-mvp-2-sigelei-vmax-v5.html#post13427366

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Every device that uses the 33.3Hz chip uses the chip designed and made by Yihiecigar for VV/VW 3-15W and sold to any APV manufacturer that wants to use them. That includes Vamo, SID, Sigelei Zmax, Smok Zmax, Innokin SVD, etc., etc, etc. Each manufacturer will contribute their own firmware, electronics and other hardware of course. And they work well and vape perfectly well...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...73532-mvp-2-sigelei-vmax-v5.html#post13427366

Ah, I leaned something new. I had always assumed that the board on the one-button devices would be different from the three-button units.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The boards can be different. A circuit board contains many components including chips. On the Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 the one-button switch is mounted on a circuit board and it is different (larger and stronger) than the firing switch on the three-switch Innokin SVD, just as an example.

Last edited:

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
The sids a good device. It was one of my favorite early devices. One I had was bad right out of the box. No biggie, it happens to all electronics. The other one was probably one of my longest lasting "generic" mods and worked pretty well. But alas, eventually the button started acting up. All electronic mods will eventually suffer this fate though. Those fire buttons can only take so many tens of thousands of presses.
Enjoy!!!! You'll probably get the bug to buy something new long before it dies. That's how this works. Lol

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The sids a good device. It was one of my favorite early devices. One I had was bad right out of the box. No biggie, it happens to all electronics. The other one was probably one of my longest lasting "generic" mods and worked pretty well. But alas, eventually the button started acting up. All electronic mods will eventually suffer this fate though. Those fire buttons can only take so many tens of thousands of presses.
Enjoy!!!! You'll probably get the bug to buy something new long before it dies. That's how this works. Lol
We have several posts on the Sigelei V3/V5 users group thread that show how to replace the OEM one-button switch with a tactile switch that is rated for 1,000,000 clicks. I have a bag of 10 of these switches waiting on my workbench if I ever need to install one. They cost less than 80 cents apiece.

016-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
We have a few threads on the Sigelei V3/V5 users group that show how to replace the OEM one-button switch with a tactile switch that is rated for 1,000,000 clicks. I have a bag of 10 of these switches waiting on my workbench if I ever need to install one. They cost less than 80 cents apiece.[/IMG]
It's kind of sad that at 80 cents per, not more APVs have decent switches.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have 2 vamo v5's,i haven't had any real issues with them,other than the occasional shut off that seems to plague just about every vamo i have read about.I have only had these about 2 months on my oldest one though,so time will tell,but i have used it all day every day since i got it.I can tell you though,there are 2 versions ofthe v5,a newer version was just released at the beginning of may,and in my opinion it is the better version.Instead of having to change the screen to see different options,the newer one shows several things on the screen at once,it will show volts/watts depending on which you set it for,ohms,and a battery meter all on the screen.Also i have not used it quite as much yet as my older one,but i have not had any shut down issues with that one yet,where as with my older one,i was getting that issue within the first few days.
I just recently picked up my first mechanical mod,a nemesis clone,and i can tell you,they are great.I was planning on getting a kick to make it vv,but after using it for a few days,it's great without a kick.I would reccomend a vamo,but in time,do yourself a favor and get a mech with an rda,you will not regret it.

Forgot to add,if you get a vamo,like mentioned they are pretty long with the 18650.The best set up i have found on mine,is an 18350 when i am out of the house,this takes it to a normal size,but the 18350 doesn't have a huge amount of time,i get probably half a day,but when i am home,i throw an 18650 in it,this will easily get me 1 1/2-2 days from a full charge.

That can't be a vamo v5; maybe you're talking about sigelei legend

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
That can't be a vamo v5; maybe you're talking about sigelei legend

Nope,most definitely a vamo.Like i mentioned,this is a new version,it was released just over a month ago,the first part of may.Here are a few pics,the second is a bit blurry due to the cheap camaera inmy phone,but it shows voltage at the top,ohms at the bottom,and then a battery bar at the bottom.
vamo1_zpsa5e37073.jpg

vamo2_zpsdcce69bc.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Nope,most definitely a vamo.Like i mentioned,this is a new version,it was released just over a month ago,the first part of may.Here are a few pics,the second is a bit blurry due to the cheap camaera inmy phone,but it shows voltage at the top,ohms at the bottom,and then a battery bar at the bottom.
vamo1_zpsa5e37073.jpg

vamo2_zpsdcce69bc.jpg

on mine
when i unscrew the bottom cap to disconnect the battery, then screw it back on while holding the fire button, I get
ksd V3.0

What does that new one give?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread