Resistance locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindriot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Dundee, Scotland
TC works by taking a baseline reading of the resistance of the coil head when it is at room temperature. Then as the coil heats up when you vape it compares the resistance of the coil in real time to the baseline reading to calculate the temperature of the coil and subsequently calculate the required power adjustment to maintain the set temperature.

Resistance locking only applies to TC and it locks the baseline reading into place. There are a couple of different things that depend on the design of the chip doing the work (not sure what the cuboid does in this regard) sometimes the device can take regular readings to try to refine the baseline (evolve chips do this) but this can also mess things up in some situations. The locking stops any further baseline readings taking place. Most of the time on most devices you would want to attach your atomiser at room temperature and then lock the reading into place to make sure that it gets a baseline that you know to be correct.

If you are not using a TC coil then none of this stuff applies and the device shouldn't care about any resistance locking at all.

Last edited:

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Mine does the same thing. Once it's locked I need to unlock it, switch to power mode, turn it off, remove atty, turn it on, switch to TC and put atty back on to lock the correct resistance again. Sometimes works, sometimes it don't. I can't unlock it any other way, always goes back to whatever it was previously locked at unless its a new coil like a 0.5 CLR Ti after 0.4 CL Ti. It needs a higher resistance difference then 0.01-0.05 or something to recognise it as a new coil. It says holding the fire button 5 secs with no atty resets it but not for me. Like once it's locked it's locked for good and only options are locked mode or unlocked mode, switching to unlocked mode don't actually unlock the lock.... get it? lol

Reactions: olix00

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
What is resistance locking ? It works only in tc ? What does it do ?
I have a 150w cuboid and i've noticed that when I am in TC and don't lock the resistance, sometimes it lockes it right before the first vape, sometimes not, but the TC still works..
Thanks for all the answers.

Resistance Lock is part of the firmware on most TC mods. The principle as it was learned from the first generations of TC mods, first DNA40 chips and similar had a hard time, TC is just a real time reading of the resistance of the wire hundreds of times a second/minute, resistance increases as the wire gets warmer and resistance decreases as the wire cools. Some of these earlier TC control boards and some of the current cheaper control boards, once resistance reaches example a 0.15ohm (first cold reading) Ni200 Nickel coil, after about 3 to 4 consecutive firings that coil is now reading 0.35ohms at cool level, next firing that cool resistance gets to be about 0.55ohms, next firing control board kicks out of TC mode into wattage mode, the coil above the programmed TC algorithm threshold by the board's logic, still the same 0.15ohm coil, but the control board doesn't think it is. Thus TC resistance lock was added in, locking the TC resistance algorithm variable for "Cold" coil in, even the coil is warm at 0.23ohms, it takes the variance between cold and current, this example 0.08ohm variance, coil not at room temperature it is approximately around 130F or so. Some mods, I think the first gen of the Cubiod suffers this, even if the resistance is locked in it will still kick out of TC mode sometimes with Titanium and Stainless Steel TC coils, SS coils there is no problem as it can run in TC or standard wattage mode no problem, it is Ni200 (Nickel) and Titanium that can't, get them to hot and they'll either melt down and/or at toxins into the vape like Titanium Dioxide (Ti wire). Best advice I tell customers, remove the tank/atomizer with a TC coil or change the coil, unlock the TC Resistance lock, re-read the coil, and lock it back in. I have an Evic VTC Mini, pretty much the same firmware as the cuboid, remove my TC atomizers it stores the resistance lock in memory, next time the atomizer is attached it is still at the original cold TC lock reading and still locked, have to unlock it, re-read and lock it back in again. As wire is heated and cooled it ages and is worked just like bending a piece of metal back and forth until it snaps thus tempering it harder or annealing it softer depending on the metal, so over time resistance changes, most times increasing ever so gradually, and why I suggest re-reading TC locked coils every once in a while.

olix00

Jun 3, 2016
France
Mine does the same thing. Once it's locked I need to unlock it, switch to power mode, turn it off, remove atty, turn it on, switch to TC and put atty back on to lock the correct resistance again. Sometimes works, sometimes it don't. I can't unlock it any other way, always goes back to whatever it was previously locked at unless its a new coil like a 0.5 CLR Ti after 0.4 CL Ti. It needs a higher resistance difference then 0.01-0.05 or something to recognise it as a new coil. It says holding the fire button 5 secs with no atty resets it but not for me. Like once it's locked it's locked for good and only options are locked mode or unlocked mode, switching to unlocked mode don't actually unlock the lock.... get it? lol
Yeah :)))

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Resistance Lock is part of the firmware on most TC mods. The principle as it was learned from the first generations of TC mods, first DNA40 chips and similar had a hard time, TC is just a real time reading of the resistance of the wire hundreds of times a second/minute, resistance increases as the wire gets warmer and resistance decreases as the wire cools. Some of these earlier TC control boards and some of the current cheaper control boards, once resistance reaches example a 0.15ohm (first cold reading) Ni200 Nickel coil, after about 3 to 4 consecutive firings that coil is now reading 0.35ohms at cool level, next firing that cool resistance gets to be about 0.55ohms, next firing control board kicks out of TC mode into wattage mode, the coil above the programmed TC algorithm threshold by the board's logic, still the same 0.15ohm coil, but the control board doesn't think it is. Thus TC resistance lock was added in, locking the TC resistance algorithm variable for "Cold" coil in, even the coil is warm at 0.23ohms, it takes the variance between cold and current, this example 0.08ohm variance, coil not at room temperature it is approximately around 130F or so. Some mods, I think the first gen of the Cubiod suffers this, even if the resistance is locked in it will still kick out of TC mode sometimes with Titanium and Stainless Steel TC coils, SS coils there is no problem as it can run in TC or standard wattage mode no problem, it is Ni200 (Nickel) and Titanium that can't, get them to hot and they'll either melt down and/or at toxins into the vape like Titanium Dioxide (Ti wire). Best advice I tell customers, remove the tank/atomizer with a TC coil or change the coil, unlock the TC Resistance lock, re-read the coil, and lock it back in. I have an Evic VTC Mini, pretty much the same firmware as the cuboid, remove my TC atomizers it stores the resistance lock in memory, next time the atomizer is attached it is still at the original cold TC lock reading and still locked, have to unlock it, re-read and lock it back in again. As wire is heated and cooled it ages and is worked just like bending a piece of metal back and forth until it snaps thus tempering it harder or annealing it softer depending on the metal, so over time resistance changes, most times increasing ever so gradually, and why I suggest re-reading TC locked coils every once in a while.
"remove my TC atomizers it stores the resistance lock in memory, next time the atomizer is attached it is still at the original cold TC lock reading and still locked, have to unlock it, re-read and lock it back in again" Yeah I think ours is somewhat broke. It always just goes back to the previous lock unless I go through that whole long process. I make it think I switched to kanthal or SS in Power mode 1st, then it sometimes works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread