Response from the FDA in regards to my email to them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why they started the letter with dear Jacques Dupuis, since my name is Shane

Dear Jacques Dupuis,

Thank you for contacting the FDA. Your email has been forwarded to the Division of Drug Information in the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research for a direct reply.

However, at this time, we are not aware of any data establishing electronic cigarettes as safe and effective for their intended uses. Based upon our case by case review of a number of these products, they are drug/device combinations that require approval by FDA before they may be legally marketed in the United States.

None of these so-called electronic cigarettes or their components has been approved by FDA. Therefore, the marketing of the products FDA has reviewed is not legal in the United States. As a matter of policy, however, we limit communications about the regulatory status of specific marketed products to those responsible for them, and we do not discuss our enforcement actions except with the targets of those actions.

There may be a perception among some users that electronic cigarettes are a safe and effective means to quit smoking conventional forms of tobacco. However, FDA is not aware of any scientific data to support those perceptions. Since these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the kinds and amounts of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user. The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. FDA also found varying levels of nicotine in cartridges labeled as containing the same level of nicotine as well as the presence of nicotine in cartridges labeled as containing no nicotine. These test results indicate that these products are manufactured under inadequate or non-existent controls.

FDA is concerned that electronic cigarettes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences. Additionally, it is unclear what health effects these products could have on users or if misuse or product failure could lead to nicotine poisoning or other serious adverse health consequences.

There are a number of proven safe and effective cessation aids that smokers can use to quit smoking. The U.S. Public Health Service’s, Treating tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update recommends using a combination of proven cessation interventions including FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy and/or non-nicotine medications and counseling to more than double a smoker’s chances of quitting successfully. Free help is available to smokers in all states by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW or by visiting Smokefree.gov.

Again, we appreciate the time that you have taken to contact us.
Best regards,
Division of Drug Information LC
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Food and Drug Administration

For up-to-date drug information, follow the FDA's Division of Drug Information on Twitter at FDA_Drug_Info

This communication is consistent with 21CFR10.85(k) and constitutes an informal communication that represents our best judgment at this time but does not constitute an advisory opinion, does not necessarily represent the formal position of the FDA, and does not bind or otherwise obligate or commit the agency to the views expressed.

Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:14 AM
To: OC Webmail
Subject: E cigarettes

My first email
Are you still holding up shipments of electronic e cigarettes? Didn't a judge rule against you? Are you ready for a class action law suit. You are great, in bed with tobacco companies but I can't use my e cig in peace. Ban cigarettes of your going to do this. My tax dollars pay your salary stop wasting my money. Stop trying to kill us.

Shane Yardley

Forward
CDER DRUG INFO to me
show details 11:02 AM (10 hours ago)
Dear Shane Yardley,

- Show quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
Forward
Shane Yardley to CDER
show details 9:03 PM (0 minutes ago)

I just sent this in regards to their response at the top
I am not one took the time to write this. Thank you for getting back to me, but your reply is unsatisfactory. You say that none of these "so called electronic cigarettes or their components have been approved by the FDA". Well components are batteries, chargers, wires, and tubing. So you really can't regulate those if this is just a generated response or somese. Anyway, you allow cigarettes to kill millions of people each year. I don't know who these leading companies are you speak of, but the companies I use as vendors, do not make false claims, nor do they sale to minors or claim to help you stop. If you ban electronic cigarettes then does that mean you will ban tobacco also, or are you going to create a black market. You are so worried about the youth of the nation, yet you keep cigarettes here willingly, and knowingly. You know they cause cancer and this HAS been proven. So I don't think you are doing your job correctly. I understand you have done no tests, so get off your .... and do it. Tax the electronic cigarette industry like you do everyone else and leave us alone if this is what you need to do. I don't need tests. My blood pressure has gone down and allowed me to get off of medication, and I can breathe and exercise again. So take that to your scientists. I think tobacco companies may be paying you a little to much, to fight this hard to keep electronic cigarettes off of the market.
- Show quoted text -
--
Shane Yardley
-Life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Well done Shane.
As we can see they didn't even have the courtesy to read your letter or they would have presumably addressed it you, Shane.
It is amazing how they continue to use their own falsified press release and not the actual studies that have been done since they first made these outlandish claims.
I also sent them a letter but I haven't had anything seized like some of the people here.
I do hope those people will receive the supplies they ordered but it still makes no sense at all for them to be holding anything when they have no intention of doing any more tests imo.
C.B.
:evil:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
There unfathomable and amazing the FDA is !

Then they have the nerve to say this letter does not constitute an advisory opinion. Am I misreading or interrupting something below or are they referring you to not only go somewhere but are telling you to buy a smoking cessation drug or product from Big Pharma instead of an ecig below in quotes !

" There are a number of proven safe and effective cessation aids that smokers can use to quit smoking. The U.S. Public Health Service’s, Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update recommends using a combination of proven cessation interventions including FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy and/or non-nicotine medications and counseling to more than double a smoker’s chances of quitting successfully. Free help is available to smokers in all states by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW or by visiting Smokefree.gov. "

Talk about the FDA & Big Pharma being in bed together, how much more proof do we need after reading that letter.!

Last edited:

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines.

Hilarious -

Do any of you know that Dihydrogen Oxide is one of the most potent solvents known to man? This chemical compound is used in waste treatment facilities, atomic core reactors, and, given enough time, can even dissolve solid rock. This compound, also known as H2O (water) is one the most important chemical compounds required for human life.

I've read this FDA report, first-hand. Only 1 brand of 18 tested had DEG, and only trace elements - the result of this finding was to the lack of quality control used in the PG which was not pharma-grade. Additionally, the so-called nitrosamines mentioned were found in such minute trace quantities as compared to an actual analog, one could get more breathing.

Do you have the e-mail addy you sent this too? I'm thinking we could flood ther inbox with rebuke.

Here is the email I just sent:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you that I had been a smoker for twenty nine years. I tried to quit using patches which made me ill, gum which did nothing at all, and cold turkey (which almost landed me in jail). I have been in support groups, group counseling, seen both psychologists and psychiatrists, and still I smoked. I recently tried what is referred to in the media as electronic cigarettes and have been smoke free for seventy days now with absolutely no desire for traditional cigarettes at all. I can breathe better, my smell has returned, and I am starting to have the energy to exercise again. In this short period of time I have managed to drop from the 24mg of nicotine most heavy smokers start with to just 18mg and hope to reach 0mg in the next year and a half or less. To make it even better, my wife has joined me and has also gone from smoking a pack a day for twenty eight years, to using only the electronic cigarette for the past seventy days. In addition we have saved so much money by switching that we are finally making a dent in our debt!

Unfortunately this wonderful success story about two people who desperately want to quit tobacco and live a long healthy life is in danger from your agency. If you continue your attack against electronic cigarettes I am afraid you will condemn both of us, and put us back in the poor house as well as we will surely return to traditional tobacco cigarettes. May I ask what my wife and I did to deserve to have a government agency try to shorten our lives, make us ill, and make us poor all at the same time? Please quit trying to kill us.

Sincerely,
Allan Hall and Sue Ann Delk

Over the top?

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Here is the email I just sent:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you that I had been a smoker for twenty nine years. I tried to quit using patches which made me ill, gum which did nothing at all, and cold turkey (which almost landed me in jail). I have been in support groups, group counseling, seen both psychologists and psychiatrists, and still I smoked. I recently tried what is referred to in the media as electronic cigarettes and have been smoke free for seventy days now with absolutely no desire for traditional cigarettes at all. I can breathe better, my smell has returned, and I am starting to have the energy to exercise again. In this short period of time I have managed to drop from the 24mg of nicotine most heavy smokers start with to just 18mg and hope to reach 0mg in the next year and a half or less. To make it even better, my wife has joined me and has also gone from smoking a pack a day for twenty eight years, to using only the electronic cigarette for the past seventy days. In addition we have saved so much money by switching that we are finally making a dent in our debt!

Unfortunately this wonderful success story about two people who desperately want to quit tobacco and live a long healthy life is in danger from your agency. If you continue your attack against electronic cigarettes I am afraid you will condemn both of us, and put us back in the poor house as well as we will surely return to traditional tobacco cigarettes. May I ask what my wife and I did to deserve to have a government agency try to shorten our lives, make us ill, and make us poor all at the same time? Please quit trying to kill us.

Sincerely,
Allan Hall and Sue Ann Delk

Over the top?

EXCELLENT LETTER !! very good !

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
great letter!

The only problem is that talking about e-cigs for smoking cessation feeds into the FDA's desire to regulate e-cigs as drug-delivery devices. IMO it's more helpful to talk about switching to a lower risk tobacco alternative. It's about semantics. If you talk about quitting smoking, the FDA reads that- and will use it against vapers- as drug and drug delivery device (yes, it's nonsensical, but it's the current reality).

The terms "safe and effective" are language for regulated pharmaceuticals. "Harm reduction" and "safer alternative" are terms that will be more helpful. The current court case with the FDA is about establishing e-cigs as tobacco products. Regulation as tobacco products is a regulatory framework that makes much more sense for us- because it allows e-cigs to remain available while more research is being done. The FDA is also being willfully blind, and ignoring the published research that does exist, in favor of the single study they performed and have continually misrepresented. It's bad science, and has nothing to do with safety.

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
You don't understand! The FDA is in bed with the Tobacco & Big Pharma.
They don't really care if you die from smoking tobacco products, just that you do it quickly so as not to cost the government & insurance companies too much money.
They also don't get PAID anything from these other companies & concerns & the only argument they have is protecting the "young people".
There is a book called 1984 that talked about Big Brother, the government, watching you & controlling everything you did.
Read it as 1984 is HERE NOW. Just look at the FDA.
They refuse to accept any studies done by any other government or agency because they have to formulate a argument for their bosses political position. The Government or Big Brother.
We are fighting city hall with very little chance of winning, so I am trying to get off nicotine totally before these devices go away forever due to the FDA & Big Brother.
Just remember Government agencies are "Above the Law". Just look at the FDA.

:vapor:louis:vapor:

flagreekguy

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2010
Orlando, FL
Anyone responding to this thread that has not written a letter already needs to take 20 minutes out of their day and do it. As a strategy i would look up your state senators email address and CC them on it. Also, there is a flyer that casaa or NVA has produced and attach it to the email illustrating the studies that have already been conclusive in the safety in digital cigarettes. By CC'n your senator in this email it is planting the seed in their head if a bill ever crossed their desk to ban this technology. Essentially, you are killing 2 birds with one stone.

If you guys would like (and you would REALLY use it) respond to this with a "Please do so" and i'll include every senators email address in U.S. if you choose to CC all of them or just your Senator it's up to you 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread