Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As reported today:

"A Charlottetown store owner is wondering where some of her customers will turn now that Health Canada has ordered her to stop selling electronic cigarettes...Health Canada has ordered Canadian retailers to stop selling the e-cigarettes until it has had an opportunity to evaluate their safety."

The report goes on to say:

"These products may pose health risks and have not been fully evaluated for safety, quality, and efficacy," the federal department said in a written statement...The sale of these health products is currently not compliant with the Food and Drugs Act since no electronic smoking products have been granted a market authorization in Canada....The Canadian Cancer Society is applauding the Health Canada decision. Dawn Binns, executive director for the P.E.I. division, said even if the e-cigarettes help people quit smoking, safety must come first."

Interesting how the Canadian Cancer Society hails the ban but you can still buy ciggarettes in Canada--seems like a political oxymoron to me.

Only time will tell if and when the US will follow suit and if it will implicate internet sales here as well---Sun

See P.E.I. retailer upset by pulling of electronic cigarettes

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Does anyone know what these brick & mortar shops are selling as kits? NJoys? Is there nicotine packaged in them (of any strength)?

Duckies, from what I hear, it is Smoke 51--funny as I got a Coupon from them today for 51% off everything they sell--looks like they might be on the run--who knows though, but that is a big discount---Sun

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I always thought that Canadians are actually bright people...

""These products may pose health risks and have not been fully evaluated for safety, quality, and efficacy,"

So..let's empty the shelves because they MAY pose health risks..who knows....and "they have not been fully evaluated for safety..."

Very "good" reason to pull them.

You must have truly IDIOTS in your gvt...i am sorry for you guys ;(

I know that many other officials in other countries think the same....just proves it that most of the officials in most countries are nothing else than idiots with money-agendas not interested in the health of us.

Just a remote chance that ecigs are a MORE healthier alternative should be reason enough to embrace them...not to ban them.

Oh by the way...let ANY "official" read any of the thousands of comments in that petition, PLEASE! I was deeply, deeply impressed.

People who visited their doctors after they esmoke for some months and quit real smokes - people who were ATTESTED real heal improvements by their doctors!! People who started exercising again and now can breathe better, people who got ATTESTED improved lung functions by their doctors! Real, very real benefits and health improvements!

Every "Official" should be forced to read those comments!!!

Last edited:

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
There is a well written letter that I have found by 601GUY wrote:posted 2009/03/31
at 1:28 PM ET @ Health Canada puts foot down on electronic cigarettes
Those interested may want to forward that letter, or write a polite one to Contact the Minister of Health

Good post SUN, thanks. this was my comment to that story:

I do understand why Health Canada wants to conduct a safety study for the product.
However, as a personal vaporizer (aka electronic cigarette) user who hasn't had a "real" cigarette since getting one on the 3rd of march 2009 I am deeply disappointed in them being removed from the marketplace.
I feel a better approach while studying these e-cigs would have been to do like the UK and require child resistant packaging and warning labels for the cartridges. The company I get mine from is is doing this.
Yes, there should be restrictions on age to purchase, which is another reason I went with the company I did, and retailers making false health claims about the product should be removed from selling them.
I agree with public safety, but I feel better using this alternative to smoking, I no longer cough chronically, I taste and smell everything better, I no longer smell of smoke and I believe that it is healthier for those around me not to be inhaling the second hand smoke from my cigarettes. NRT such as the patch failed to work for me, this is helping provide a solution I believe is less harmful.
some information of the cartridge contents "What's in the Intellicig cartridge.

The main ingredient in the Intellicig cartridge is propylene glycol. The other main ingredients present are flavorings, nicotine and water."
From what I have been able to find out propylene glycol(main ingredient) is used in regular cigarettes to keep the tobacco moist, it is also has been used for the fog machines used in bars, dance clubs etc.
Nicotine is also already in cigarettes.
You can also buy flavored tobacco products.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Taxes..big bucks!..and read how 3 out of 10 tobacco cigs are bootleg with crime gangs getting into it..with a loss of 1.6 Billion in taxes..
So if govn't is upset with that loss of revenue ..imagine the loss if smokers get more into ecigs?
This is definitly about potential loss of tax revenue..rather than purely about health issues!

ratfink

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
I know that many other officials in other countries think the same....just proves it that most of the officials in most countries are nothing else than idiots with money-agendas not interested in the health of us.

Just a remote chance that ecigs are a MORE healthier alternative should be reason enough to embrace them...not to ban them.

I think it's wrong to attribute this to stupidity or malice. They are bureaucrats and in a bureaucracy no one has ever been fired for being too cautious. When you work in a organization that deals with the fallout of bad drugs, you tend to only focus on those issue and not the good that can come out of it.

The problem I have is the cancer and lung groups cheer leading this, because it's their job to look at the big picture. It's akin to the cancer society being against chemo or radiation therapy because it can damage healthy cells.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
yes of course it is!

It's a cool feeling to know that our gvt's tax money is more important than YOUR/MY health, isn't it?

(by the way...in the LONG RUN..it would of course save money. Healthier society == Huge savings. Less tax-revenue is just what many see on the surface - but in reality its actually something which saves money since healthcare costs and general spending will go down if more people are healthier and live longer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread