• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Reviews of Local Juices You Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaitee

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
AZ
Found this thread in a search. Getting back into vaping after a few years being away. I love that there are so many choices now. I have not been to a vape meet since the early Hazelwood days. I would like to attend and sample and purchase some liquid. Are the vendors there? Which meets are the biggest for the vendors. I think I remember you Helen..did you used to carry all your e cigs in a craft basket with slots holding them all? So far I only have Halo Kringles Curse which is strong peppermint with sweetness. And Halo sub zero a strong menthol. I used to order from Halo years back and liked the smoothness of their formulas. I also have Pink Spot watermelon and its ok if I mix it. But after vaping only those few flavors I am getting bored and want to try more. I had a ton of Tasty Vapor and Halo I threw out because it was just too old :( I have clearomizers now and will the citrus flavors crack them? I know cinnamon will :(

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
LOL Yup, that was me with the craft basket full of mods. :)

Central meet typically has at least 2 vendors (Kidney Puncher and Desert Vapes typically show every month, Hot Rod Vapors (Liquids) also, but takes orders and brings them to the meets, but doesn't bring product to buy. Honestly, I can't recall if there is liquid brought by either KP or DV. Other vendors show up from time to time, but so far, not monthly like the other 3.

We also have a roving Put-N-Take liquid box at the Central and West Side meets. Come grab something out of it to try out! It's free. Just put in anything you buy that you don't like in the box some time (when ever). Liquids are sorted in boxes to the type they are (Tobacco, Dessert, Beverage, Fruit, etc.)

West side is a crap shoot as far as vendors. We're kind of new out there, and there are starting to be more and more vendors out on this end of the universe. LOL Debra at Pure Vapour came to the last one (and lives West Side). She has her own line of liquids, and brings it (and other vaping stuff) to sell. This month, the Big vape meets in Vegas and CA are going on, so turnout will be smaller since some members are going (not me!), but as always, fun. Pure Vapour will be there at this meet. I know Darren from Voltage Vapor will start coming out to the meets. He also makes liquid, and has a new company on the West Side. I'm hoping he'll bring liquids to sample as well.

Don't throw out e-liquids! I"m still vaping stuff that is 3-4 years old! It's amazing that it's still tasty (though, the nicotine level might have degraded a bit... but who cares). As long as the color hasn't gone a weird green, and it has a good smell (if it smells sour get rid of it) it's okay to use. I'm still vaping my Tasty Vapor Menthol Doubler/Nic Liquid I bought back when we first introduced him at the Hazelwood's meets (in 2010??)! I think I bought 4 of his large Doubler bottles of the Menthol and his nic liquid and still I'm vaping it today. Good stuff and I use it often to fix up crappy Menthol liquids.

The longer we all are vaping, the more we're learning about longevity of the liquids. I have several old time vaping buds, and like me, they all are still vaping older liquids (and sometimes they taste better than they did when new!). You do have to watch stuff that is in Black rubber squeeze bulb bottles. For some reason, the liquid degrades the rubber, and it can ruin the liquid. I had a bottle go bad like that, but everything else with white rubber squeeze tops did fine and everything I've had stored in boxes in a dark cabinet is still vapable and yummy.

Citrus can crack, so can other flavors (I think I read some banana, and a few others), but it also depends on who makes it/what's in it. I've gone to glass tanks as much as possible. Love the ProTanks. I also really like the bigger Hyper Tanks which are also glass, and the DBox PuriTanks. Maybe people can post more here for what they've found. I try to stick to Tobacco, Menthol, Coffee flavors and maybe some Peach at this point in my vaping. I'm not a fruit/dessert kinda vaper. I have iClear 30 tanks, but don't really worry too much about what I'm putting in them since I don't vape weird stuff much. LOL

There are so many Brick and Mortar shops now (see our current stickied list of Local Vendors) that it's worth it to go in and sample liquids to get an idea of what you might like to vape! What area do you live in? Of course, at meets, people are more than willing to tell you what they love, and let you sample their liquids that they bring with them!

Hope to see you again at a meet soon. Come grab me and say hi!!

azlester

Sep 15, 2013
phoenix,az
Did anyone notice the prices at .... Out lately? i was looking there after recommendations of this group, and I thought I remembered the prices being alot lower then they are showing his morning.
I called and talked with Chris(I think that was his name) and he said that their prices went up $2.50 per bottle(on both sizes). Looks like I am going to have to get my juices on line.... $12.50 for 15ml is out of my price range. Darn shame.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yikes! Well, there are lots of great options on line, and locally for liquids. Keep an eye on our Steals and Deals thread. We try to post local sales when we know they're out there.

Also I just caught up and saw Desert Vapes has 11 flavors on sale (10ml) for $2.95 while they last: USA E-Liquids Some are kinda odd flavors but may be something there for ya. I know they're going to VapeFest, but maybe they'll still have their website sales going on (if not, place the order asap)?

If you're looking for other local recommendations, I can recommend one company I just tried. Crystal Canyon Vapes (located in Queen Creek). You can get 15% off with their coupon code CCV15 for their September sale. So far, I love everything I've tried from them. I ordered from them on line and it was shipped quick. 30 and 60ml are in glass bottles with squeeze bulb droppers. Really top quality stuff (I don't post reviews often... but I think these guys really deserve one!). Really decent prices considering the great packaging and Top Shelf liquid (IMHO). I bought 60ml bottles for only $30.99 and then got 15% off. Their 15ml is only $9.99 and with the code you'll then take an additional 15% off that right now.

They have a nice 5 pack of 5ml bottles that you can choose what you want to try. It's a good way to discover new flavors without breaking the bank. I found my new favorite all day tobacco flavor (Ironwood) from them by buying a 5ml 5pk of the tobacco flavors I was interested in (and went back and bought 4 of the 60ml bottles of Ironwood, LOL!). I also fell in love with their Menthol Tobacco called Pioneer and ordered 2 bottles of that. I also stocked up on all of their Coffee flavors during their last 25% off sale (score!). The Mocha Java and their Caramel Cap are truly delish! If you want just a plain black coffee, My Cafe Blend is exactly that. I'm still waiting to try out the Cafe Mint,and Vertigo (coffee/tobacco blend) that I bought. Too busy vaping up the other stuff. LOL

thaitee

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
AZ
I know I still have some around. I bought some doublers from Tasty Vapor with no nicotine. So these should be ok right? I think it was menthol tobacco, I will give it to you when I find it. Bananas Foster and Atomic cinnacide the original. I know I will find it when I move at the end of October. :) I like the idea of trying before buying. I had so many little sample bottles around along with sweetner,loranns oils,vg and menthol crystals when I tried the DIY route. Turned out I may be good in the kitchen but not in the vaping category. I sucked. LOL. Do the vendors at B&M's as well as local online sell USA made juice?

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Doublers should be okay, that said... Use your nose first. If it smells okay, that's a great sign... then take a good look at the liquid. Nothing scummy looking, cloudy or white (or green) floating in it. That'd be a sign of bacteria growth. I'm vaping away on my old stuff from TV. I still have quite a stash of his German Chocolate Cake (yum!) Doubler as well as Cafe Mocha and others sitting here in a box. Haven't gotten into those yet but I may mix them up with some other stuff that isn't so good (which is why I bought them). If I remember right, I have some Atomic Cinicide and it was too much for me to vape very often, so if you want it, and if you're coming to a meet, (let me know when/which one) I'll bring it for you.

Oh, and for anyone who don't know about Tasty Vapor, or what a Doubler is... here's a fairly recent video with an employee from their company who explains how to mix them. I bought from him at his very beginning and while not local, it's a good company to buy from, and their doublers come in handy for doing your own mixing or fixing something up a bit too.

Geoff also has another good video that he and his wife are in that talks about their company and how they create the liquids, shot in his store. Worth watching also.

Lots of shops are making their own liquids (or selling someone else's made liquids) and they usually will note that it's USA made. Thing is.. HOW are they making them? Well, we don't know sometimes. If they make them on site at their Brick/Mortar shop, ask to see their "Lab" and check it out. Is it REALLY clean and a space dedicated to making liquids or some little back room space that probably rarely sees a cleaning person (dust/contaminates)? Stainless steel tables? Are gloves worn? Is only one person their Mixologist, or do several of their staffers make liquids? Do they have any food background (they know about mixing but also about safety standards). Do they wear gloves? Do they have a dog or kitty hanging out in there? (yuck!)

There are lots of responsible people who create liquids, make it in their home to sell and do a good job at making it a priority to keep things sterile, clean and safe. It's just one more thing for a vaper to consider when you're buying liquids (and reviews and recommendations from others is helpful). Larger companies will have better methods, as they can afford it (and I'm sure most started off as a home made liquid, and got better facilities/standards as they grew, like Johnson Creek, Tasty Vapor, etc.).

As far as DIY, well, it's more complicated than using one flavoring and adding PG/VG and nicotine. Several flavors mixed together seem to give the best results. I dabbled in the beginning (before there were good flavorings available, and I also just used LorAnns and other baking flavorings available in stores... yuck!). There are several groups and forums that have recipes (ECF included) and recommendations for flavorings or enhancers to use to make it better. E-Liquid Recipes If you need more links, just let me know. Also I just found a company in Eastern AZ that carries TFA flavoring and other DIY supplies! Check out our Local Vendor List in the Stickies in our VIP forum. They're the very last vendor on the list. If you can make it to meets, there are several of our members who make some pretty killer DIY for themselves. I'll make sure you get introduced. :) They'd be happy to share some info. and talk DIY.

Don't forget! Review local liquids you've tried out here in this thread when you get them!

thefallofray

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Mesa, AZ, USA
Okay. So this is going to be my first liquid review, and I'm going to try to not be too harsh, but no promises...

I was running a bit low on liquid so I decided to pick up a bottle while I wait for my mail order to come in. So I went to the hookah lounge/vape shop by my work and was looking around. I saw Zikwid, which I knew was made locally and have heard a few good things about it, so I decided to take a shot on it. I picked up a 10ml 18mg of Zapple for probably around $12.99 (don't know exactly as I bought a ProTank 2 as well). I quickly loaded up my new ProTank with the juice, took a vape, and was immediately disappointed. To me, it tastes like a cheap knock-off of those caramel apple lollipops. The ones that got real nasty if exposed to any heat. Anyway, Not only did I taste faux apple and faux caramel, there was also a chemical note to it. It's really pretty terrible. But, it's one of the few things I have to vape, so I'm pushing through it. I am getting more used to it as I struggle through it. But to me, I shouldn't have to struggle through it, it should be good from the start. Overall, would not buy ever again. Nor recommend to anyone. Some guy at work liked it so I may just pawn it off on him. Sorry for the tl:dr post and the bit of ranting.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
We've all been there with a disappointing new liquid! You might want to pop the top off of the liquid, let it sit out for a day or two to a few weeks to "air it out" since fresh made liquids sometimes have alcohol (ethanol) in it. Some newly made liquids may have a perfume/chemical taste and it can be overpowering. It's difficult to tell just how long something has sat before you've bought it.

Flavors can be improved by some steeping too, either sitting for about a month, or 125F-145F heat for a day (a warm window sill would work, just wrap the bottle in foil, but leave the top off/open). This method can (but not always) help to remove the chemical taste of new liquids, and improve the taste of the flavorings (blends them). Some also give the liquid a good shaking to help meld the flavors every so often during the steeping if you're just going to let it sit for a month.

If you let it sit uncapped, just put a bit of cotton or breathable fabric over the top to keep out dust/bugs. Gah! LOL I had lots of old liquids that I recently revisited that have vastly improved from just sitting, to the point of being quite vapable.

If it still sucks after steeping (Some stuff may never be your cuppa tea...) throw it in our Put-N-Take box at a vape meet, and take home one from it to try!

thefallofray

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Mesa, AZ, USA
Thanks for the tips! It's still a learning process for me so I'm always glad to get new info. I've really found that I like Mt Baker the most. For the prices and the quality, they're hard to beat. But a friend of mine said he has to steep some of his MBV juice for a week or more, so I'll let it sit open and hopefully it gets better. I'm just hoping the MBV caramel apple I ordered isn't this bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread