Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Resistance determines Wattage range though. And most regulated multi cell mods use the cells in series, not paralell.
    No. Wattage is determined by the setting you specify on your regulated mod. The coil resistance has no part when calculating current drain.
    When determining current drain, it doesnt matter if the cells are in series or parallel, it's the number of cells that's important.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ah, but series multiplies the Voltage and Paralell multiplies the Amps.
    Yes it does, that's correct and that is extremely important if using in an unregulated mod when voltage and resistance are the factors that determine current drain.
    In a regulated mod, it doesnt matter when ur working out the current drain of your battery(s).

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I agree with Richard. For a regulated mod:

Maximum watts = maximum amps * minimum voltage * efficiency factor

Say your batteries have a CDR of 20. Minimum voltage is generally 3.2 for most regulated mods, so, for a single battery setup:

Maximum wattage = maximum amps * minimum voltage = 20 amps * 3.2 volts * 0.9 = 57.6 watts

Now, with a dual battery setup in series, you'd double the voltage:

Wattage = 20 amps * 3.2 volts * 2 * 0.9 = 115.2 watts

In parallel, you double the amps instead:

20 amps * 2 * 3.2 volts * 0.9 = 115.2 watts

Same result, because you've just changed where you put the 2.

Also, resistance doesn't come into it (in a regulated mod - it's vital in a mech) because the battery never sees the coil. Although, as you pointed out earlier, it can give you an idea of what wattage a person will be vaping at. Still, it's much easier (and more accurate) just to use the wattage.

There's a great explanation from Mooch here.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Exactly what does a mod description mean by "Interchangeable Batteries"?
    18650 SkyRay
    26650 TrustFire
    20700 Eleaf AVB
    21700's
    Folks this semi newbian is ready to blow up perfectly beautiful new mods with the wrong batteries? So does Interchangeable Battery Option: mean I can use anyone of these batteries & extend my Gizmo's Power? So buy the most MAh? Yes I've searched & read but, I just need enough info to make a safe penny wise informed purchase. Each Battery Form Factor has so many Functional Varients: Amps, Discharge something or another, x.x Volts, mAh i wai
    Eleaf Istick 75w Pico
    Agres Solo 100w

Here's a quick procedure for picking your batteries:

1. Figure out what size you need. It'll be something like 18650, 20700, 217000, and your mod's documentation should tell you what it uses.

2. Your batteries should come from a reliable manufacturer, Sony/Murata, Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, LG, or Molicel, and have been tested by Mooch. To simplify things, select one batteries from Mooch's recommended table, which @Katya posted above.

3. To pick the right battery from the table, you'll need to take note of its CDR (in amps), which is included in the table. Divide the maximum wattage you ever vape at by three. The CDR of a battery that will work for you must be HIGHER than this number.

4. Once you've identified the batteries you can use (in step 3), pick a model with a higher capacity (mAh). The higher the capacity, the longer it will last between charges (provided it's got the right CDR).

5. Buy your batteries from a trustworthy vendor. Several are listed in the blue row on Mooch's chart. You mentioned Illumn, which is one of the good ones, so you're OK there.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This is from @Baditude 's blog entry:
    (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
    scroll down to the section: Regulated Electronic Mods

He is another person who knows that when calculating battery draw on a Regulated Mod, Resistance isn't a factor :thumbs:

regmodbatt-bad.jpg

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas

Fstop

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I designed a calculator that will work out the right battery to be used for any given regulated mod set up.
    Its www.vapinghardware.com/calculators/battery-amp-draw-calculator
    Richard, I'm not a sub ohm DL Vaper, so I thought i'd go with highest 3000 mAh & 15/35A IMR ... After looking a charts I just ordered Molicel/NPE INR-18650-P26A 35A 2600mAh Flat Top for both eleaf 75 & Geek solo 100w. Just wanted to get damn Sept 9/ ordering madness over with. I'm miffed at how much money I blew & still cameup short about $60 worth of juice but I hit my bank limit. I lost my damn mind? Thanks to everyone for providing all.this great Updated Battery Info Source in one place

Last edited:

Fstop

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2014
    San Antonio, TX

1. Figure out what size you need. It'll be something like 18650, 20700, 217000, and your mod's documentation should tell you what it uses.

2. Your batteries should come from a reliable manufacturer, Sony/Murata, Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, LG, or Molicel, and have been tested by Mooch. To simplify things, select one batteries from Mooch's recommended table, which @Katya posted above.

3. To pick the right battery from the table, you'll need to take note of its CDR (in amps), which is included in the table. Divide the maximum wattage you ever vape at by three. The CDR of a battery that will work for you must be HIGHER than this number.

4. Once you've identified the batteries you can use (in step 3), pick a model with a higher capacity (mAh). The higher the capacity, the longer it will last between charges (provided it's got the right CDR).

5. Buy your batteries from a trustworthy vendor. Several are listed in the blue row on Mooch's chart. You mentioned Illumn, which is one of the good ones, so you're OK there.

Thank you I picked 2 Molicel/NPE INR-18650-P26A 35A 2600mAh Flat Top from Mooch chart to be on safe side till I wrap my head around all these battery functions
    At that resistance range @Fstop you have a fair amount of options and you'll be able to go for higher capacity.
    Precisely, I want more battery than I have any intention of using

And please tell me folks, when have you seen a regulated mod that fully monitors batteries? As they don't exist.

So theoretically it is possible to exceed the CDR of a cell or cells with a regulated mod, it's simple electrical physics which are immutable.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Richard, I'm not a sub ohm DL Vaper, so I thought i'd go with highest 3000 mAh & 15/35A IMR ... After looking a charts I just ordered Molicel/NPE INR-18650-P26A 35A 2600mAh Flat Top for both eleaf 75 & Geek solo 100w. Just wanted to get damn Sept 9/ ordering madness over with. I'm miffed at how much money I blew & still cameup short about $60 worth of juice but I hit my bank limit. I lost my damn mind? Thanks to everyone for providing all.this great Updated Battery Info Source in one place
    Nice one Fstop, the Molicel P26A are really good all round batteries. They will work just fine in your mods.
    If you only vape at low wattage, you can get away with a reasonable low current battery (Amps). The milliamp rating of the battery is the figure that means how long the battery will run for before it needs charging.
    There is always a trade off between the CDR value measured in Amps and the capacity measured in milliamps. Normally the higher the amps, the lower the milliamps.
    Some batteries are designed having high output at 30A for high wattage use but will have a lower run time between charges 2000mA.
    Some batteries have a lower Amp rating of 15A but have and increased run time of 3000mA.
    The Molicel P26A are one of the batteries that cater for both options pretty well.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Just wanted to get damn Sept 9/ ordering madness over with. I'm miffed at how much money I blew & still cameup short about $60 worth of juice but I hit my bank limit. I lost my damn mind?
    Yeah, we probably all get that. Just focus on how much you'll save on cigarettes over time.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    No. Wattage is determined by the setting you specify on your regulated mod. The coil resistance has no part when calculating current drain.
    When determining current drain, it doesnt matter if the cells are in series or parallel, it's the number of cells that's important.
    On the majority of mods with multiple cells, the resistance of the coil still has an impact on the maximum wattage because they lack a boost circuit and have an output voltage range of 7.5V - 5V instead.
    7.5V when the cells are fully charged, 5V when they're almost empty.

That means you can dial in 100W on a dual cell mod and with a 0.25ohm coil, the mod will deliver enough voltage to reach 100W even when the cells are almost empty. (5V^2/0.25ohm=100W)

Now attach a 0.5ohm coil. Doing the math, the mod will deliver 100W with fully charged cells no problem.
    (7,5V^2/0.5ohm=112W max)
    With half depleted cells, the output voltage is too low to provide 100W though.
    (6.75V^2/0.5ohm=91W max)

If you attach a 0.75ohm coil however, the mod will not be able to put out enough voltage to reach 100W even with fully charged cells.
    (7.5V^2/0.75ohm=75W).

• Informative
    Reactions: HigherStateD

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    On the majority of mods with multiple cells, the resistance of the coil still has an impact on the maximum wattage because they lack a boost circuit and have an output voltage range of 7.5V - 5V instead.
    7.5V when the cells are fully charged, 5V when they're almost empty.

That means you can dial in 100W on a dual cell mod and with a 0.25ohm coil, the mod will deliver enough voltage to reach 100W even when the cells are almost empty. (5V^2/0.25ohm=100W)

Now attach a 0.5ohm coil. Doing the math, the mod will deliver 100W with fully charged cells no problem.
    (7,5V^2/0.5ohm=112W max)
    With half depleted cells, the output voltage is too low to provide 100W though.
    (6.75V^2/0.5ohm=91W max)

If you attach a 0.75ohm coil however, the mod will not be able to put out enough voltage to reach 100W even with fully charged cells.
    (7.5V^2/0.75ohm=75W).
    When looking at the output side of a regulated mod, chip to atomiser, then yes, the coil will play a part when looking at maximum wattage obtainable. Ohms law in terms of P=V2/R and P=I2xR applies to the output side only, it should not be confused and should not be used when discussing the input side of the regulator, battery to chip, to determine battery drain.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    In terms of input amps the resistance of the coil doesn't matter too much, but the standalone statement "ohms don't matter on a regulated device" is still bul***it.
    I suggest you look back at the thread and see at what point the statement you implied appears because I cant find it.
    If your referring to my comment regarding ohms dont come into the equation when calculating current draw/drain on a regulated mod then your wrong, it's not bull**it, that's correct.
    For reference, your comment that resistance of a coil doesnt matter "too much" is ambiguous. It either does or it doesnt, and in the case when calculating current drain in a regulated mod, which was what was being discussed, coil resistance doesnt matter AT ALL.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread