Riva charger not turning green

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerikC

Jun 5, 2010
Portage, PA
I got my Riva a few weeks ago and so far it's been great. However the light doesn't seem to be turning green when it's fully charged. Usually what I'll do is leave it plugged in from 6AM-ish (When I get home from work) to 2pm, or 6pm depending on my class schedule. The past few days it hasn't been green when I got home.

Any ideas? How long should it take to charge a dead battery to a full charge?

Much thanks,
-Derik

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
First word of advice: never leave a lithium battery (Li ion to be more accurate) unattended in a charger. If you do, you run the risk of fire. This has nothing to do with bad quality, it is just in the nature of the beast. Li batteries have many advantages, but one of the disadvantages is that when they go, they go big time, oftentimes with catasrophic results.

It is one of the main reasons they put in protection circuits in Li batteries. Of course, there will be a thousand people who will say that nothing has ever happened, but there are plenty of well documented cases, including my own experience.

I have had two mega Ego's go on me. One just faded; the other just started getting red hot while I was using it-so much so that I tossed it into the backyard with a lot of sparking and smoking.

If you need to leave the battery in a charger when out of the house, get yourself a metal box.

I use Ego's when I am out of the house; but at home or in the office, I use units with replaceable batteries-if these go, they don't cost as much to replace.

Nothing to panic about, but better safe than sorry.

I kept my multi battery 510 charger from my Joye 510 days. It takes a lot longer than the special rapid charger to charge an Ego, but I can put up to 5 batteries in it.

One thing became obvious to me when I started vaping: I vape a lot more than I smoked, so I have had to adjust my daily nic content accordingly when blending my DIY juice.

Good luck!

Tony

DerikC

Jun 5, 2010
Portage, PA
Well, thank you for that tip. I'll stop leaving them in for that long. I really don't like the idea of coming home to a fire department, perhaps not likely, but like you said, better safe than sorry.

In other news the threaded part of the charger that I screw the battery onto came loose and was jiggling around. I took it apart and tried to put it back into place but it only stayed put for a few minutes. I bought another charger (A "t-rex" charger off of Kingpincigs.com and it's working beautifully. Seems to charge them a lot faster. Maybe I just had bad luck with that Riva chager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread