Rm3 help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chebird

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Western Mass
I need help! I ordered an RM3 for the purposes of sub-ohming, 26 gauge kanthal does not fit in the super tiny holes in the atty. should I return it? Does Rob accept returns? I only have 32, and 26 gauge kanthal at my disposal right now.

How about picking up some 28g? Im a Reo newcomer who was sent an RM3 with my first Reo, and I slipped the 28 right in there for a dual coil at .65

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yeah, the post holes are not that big with the RM3. You can PM Rob (redeyedancer) to see if he'll take a return - I've seen him do it before as long as no juice has been run through it.

I would, however, second the notion of going with 28 gauge wire. I run dual 28's in RM3's netting .4 ohms all the time.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hmmm. I don't have any problem at all putting 26ga or 24ga Kanthal in my new RM3 from Rob if for a single coil build... I didn't try it but might even be able to do a dual coil with the 26ga. So I'd suggest you try again with your 26ga.

I'm sitting here vaping my Baby Bubinga Woodie right now with an older RM3 built single with a 28ga twisted micro coil.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Do you have a LP grand? If not, does your grand have the new gold firing pin and spring for sub ohm builds. If so, .4 ohm should be fine, the AW 1600 will work too, I've never used aw batteries or 1600's but I know plenty of people who do and I know they are good batteries. I think those 1600's only have a 10 amp limit maybe 15 at the most, but like I said .4 should be perfectly fine in that rm3. I'd also recommend picking up some 28 gauge kanthal for future builds.

On a side note. I sub ohm all the time in my LP grand with a rm5, I only use Sony vtc4 and vtc5 batteries. The lowest I've gone for a coil is .2 ohms and I've never collapsed a spring or had a short. (Knocking on wood)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
Okay guys....I am new to this so don't laugh if I ask a stupid question...

WHY DOES MY DUAL COIL SUCK? It is registering at .5 ohms (give or take .01-.04). It heats up super slow. Could my batteries be bad? I tried with two different batteries (both fully charged mind you). It is a good 1-1.75 seconds to heat up to be able to vape it. Both wires are heating up at the same pace, both wires are heating up from the inside out...they are just taking forever to do so. I will have to check where I ordered my kanthal from, but is it a possibility if they sent me the wrong gauge kanthal it would have something to do with how quickly it is heating up?

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
Things got a little heated in my last post, I apologize. First time building dual coils (especially with the tiny center pin in the RM3) is very frustrating. I will continue to monitor this thread and try to make new coils in the meantime. If I am still unsuccsesful by tomorrow night I may have to post some pictures so you experts can tell me what I'm doing wrong, lord knows I don't. :p

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
I tried a "sleeper build" it didn't work out too well...the only thing I had to wrap my coil around at the time was a very tiny screw driver, and the handle part kept me from being able to make the coil close enough to the mod. I will keep you guys posted over the next 24 hours while I get things sorted out on my end :p

two BRAND new batteries are coming in tomorrow, so that may help to narrow down the issue. .5 ohms is the lowest I have ever gone. My current RM2 is at .57 ohms.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
Side question:

Being new to building below .9 ohms....and brand new to building dual coils, is it possible to get my device to vape like a .4 ohm dual coil while keeping the vape temp down? I don't want the vape to be "cold" but I do not want it to be hot. warm to medium. I liked the vapor production on my buddies .4 ohm dual coil a lot, as well as the flavor, but it was a bit too hot for me.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Okay guys....I am new to this so don't laugh if I ask a stupid question...

WHY DOES MY DUAL COIL SUCK? It is registering at .5 ohms (give or take .01-.04). It heats up super slow. Could my batteries be bad? I tried with two different batteries (both fully charged mind you). It is a good 1-1.75 seconds to heat up to be able to vape it. Both wires are heating up at the same pace, both wires are heating up from the inside out...they are just taking forever to do so. I will have to check where I ordered my kanthal from, but is it a possibility if they sent me the wrong gauge kanthal it would have something to do with how quickly it is heating up?

I don't run dual coils, so I probably shouldn't even post here, but I do know that 26 gauge Kanthal takes too long to heat up for me, even on a single coil. The fatter the wire, the longer it will take to heat up. I use 29 gauge now....6 wraps....1.0 ohms. Two of those would net you .5 ohms. I don't notice any lag.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
I don't run dual coils, so I probably shouldn't even post here, but I do know that 26 gauge Kanthal takes too long to heat up for me, even on a single coil. The fatter the wire, the longer it will take to heat up. I use 29 gauge now....6 wraps....1.0 ohms. Two of those would net you .5 ohms. I don't notice any lag.

That is actually very helpful, thank you. I just wish I had seen that before I ordered my 26 gauge last week haha.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Umm...I'm currently vaping on a double parallel 24 gauge (4 wrap) coil wrapped around a 5/64 drill bit. It nets .2 ohms total, it looks like a single 8 wrap micro coil, but really it's two wires wrapped side by side together only 4 times. It doesn't take very long at all to heat up. 24 is thicker than 26 and this build immediately vaporizes juice, I'm saying as soon as I press the button it's spitting vapor. .5 ohms should not have that long of lag time heating up, check your connections on the posts, I have a rm3 and I've noticed that once I get the coil firing good after preheating and pinching, the post screws are still loose. Just double check the screws and make sure they are tight then try again. I hate Phillips screws for that reason alone, they tend to back off way to easy. I started getting reomizers with Allens like the rm4 and rm5. I own the rm5 and love it, it's better for me and perfer it over the rm3. It's bigger, has more room to build, more airflow, Allen screws, deep juice well, all stainless, has excellent flavor.
deaf0d8b30e479a348561581e495da07.jpg

Video of the double parallel with 24 gauge kanthal https://vimeo.com/111385253

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
That is actually very helpful, thank you. I just wish I had seen that before I ordered my 26 gauge last week haha.

I have a drawer full of wire: 28 gauge, 29 gauge, 30 gauge....even a roll of 32 gauge. It's all part of the learning curve. :) If you think it would get there faster than ordering from Temco, I'll send you some of the 28 gauge and some of the 29 gauge....and anything else I have that you might want to try. PM me and I'll stick it in the mail tomorrow. You'd have it by Wednesday, more than likely.

Edit: Really. I'll just stick it in an envelope and slap a Forever Stamp on it.

Last edited:

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
And btw, I consider that .2 ohm double parallel build to be a warm vape. Maybe I'm just use to it, but it's not as hot as the dual stove tops I tried.

Honestly I think the stove tops were hot because I had two coils each were 4 wraps with total resistance of .20 ohms. They are unique coils and are super hot.
00329a51b6e76dfd0c0c6e8c9e5db3d4.jpg

The double parallel to me is a warm vape even for being .25 ohms. Maybe it's because it's just a single coil performing like a dual? For me, a hot vape is the stove top coil. Warm vape is the double parallel, and any other dual micro coil 28 ga build is a cool vape.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
image.jpg image.jpg

This is my build...do not laugh...lol. it seems to heat up quickly as well as evenly even though it is super sloppy. It is registering at .51 ohms. The RM3 has such a tiny base I am struggling with wicking it and not ruining my airflow. When I try to vape this the airflow is tight, and I am getting very little vapor. I believe this is due to the way I am wicking it. I will try to rewick my RM3 and upload a new photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread