Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit13

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Los Angeles
I love the RS; overall a nice design.

I did the following Mod Mods in an effort to improve reliability:

Removed spring and replaced w/ wire to get consistent current flow.
RTV on potential leak points inside cap.
Installed a button cap to help keep switch clean.
Vasoline on threads to prevent galling.

Nice! been using mine for a few days now. Perfect PV for my needs.. small, light, abusable, repairable, replaceable, 18650 bat.... Added a blob of solder so I can use flat-top batteries..

So by swapping the spring for a wire, I take it you're also eliminating the little tube which appears to be a cut section of a drinking straw? Nothing wrong with it I guess, but when looking at the RS "guts" it's the first thing I wanted to improve upon..

Cheers!

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Nice! been using mine for a few days now. Perfect PV for my needs.. small, light, abusable, repairable, replaceable, 18650 bat.... Added a blob of solder so I can use flat-top batteries..

So by swapping the spring for a wire, I take it you're also eliminating the little tube which appears to be a cut section of a drinking straw? Nothing wrong with it I guess, but when looking at the RS "guts" it's the first thing I wanted to improve upon..

Cheers!

RS has been rock solid consistent since spring-wire mod.

I did not remove the spring tube.

The atty connector pin pushes out easy as pie w/ paper clip.

Must solder wire w/ center pin out of unit to avoid over heating atty connector insulator.

B4 inserting center pin w/ new wire I dabbed RTV on pin to prevent leaks.

Also dab RTV on switch base.

Button cap is M401 silicone cart cap that just happened to fit.

I've seen button caps in electronics stores.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Vasoline on the threads? I was always told to use Noalox since it's a conductive grease and provides the best connection between the tube and the switch head unit. I guess if vasoline is working for you great since it's cheap.

Vasoline works great even if not screwed together tight.
Much surface area on body threads; only need to pass 3amps max.

When body is screwed together until top and bottom kiss.
There is no vasoline on lips that kiss.
Huge surface area with zero vasoline on lips (at body seam).

Does that make any sense?

rabbit13

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Emus, looking at it now, I'm confused. So you solder a wire from the 510 connector's center post to where the spring was soldered right? But what completes the connection to the outer part of the connector? Looking at it pre-surgery I'm not even sure why it works in it's current default state(!)

Edit:
Lol never mind. I get it now. The outer part of the 510 connection contacts the Roughstack body itself.. Soldered a wire between the center post and the button rig and it works great!
Cheers!

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Hey Emus, looking at it now, I'm confused. So you solder a wire from the 510 connector's center post to where the spring was soldered right? But what completes the connection to the outer part of the connector? Looking at it pre-surgery I'm not even sure why it works in it's current default state(!)

Edit:
Lol never mind. I get it now. The outer part of the 510 connection contacts the Roughstack body itself.. Soldered a wire between the center post and the button rig and it works great!
Cheers!

My RS has been rock solid since the mod mods.

If Madvapes did similar mods I would strongly recommend RS to newbies and veterans alike.

Still loving RS; can't seem to put it down:)

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Wow, what a great thread. I am thinking about the Maxi RS myself. Even without your mods to it would you still recommend it? It would be my first mod...I use an Ego right now. Thanks!

I happen to like the simple and small design of the small RS; can press button easily w/ any of my 10 fingers.
I don't mind changing batt roughly every 8 hours.

I like the 3 amp switch which can handle LR atty w/ ease.

I can't promise you'll get consistent current though small contact area where spring mates atty connector.

I can recommend buying one if you are willing to replace spring w/ wire if it doesn't rock your world w/ dual coil cart or 306 atty (1.7 or 2.5 ohm).

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009

Attachments

• DSC_8924.jpg
    DSC_8924.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 126

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the Picture I understand now. I'm probably going to do all these mods once I get some free time. I'm wondering if the RTV could be replaces with some epoxy? Sorry if this is a dumb question, don't use to many of these kinds of materials.

I would not use epoxy.

RTV silicone provides a reliable flexible seal and can be removed for servicing.

Apply RTV such that it is pinched in place between sealed surfaces.

I used a total of 3 drops to seal my roughstack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread