RSST - trouble heating the coil -

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Has anyone experienced the top of the coil heating much faster compared to the first and 2nd loop from the bottom on this atty? It's a 5/4 wrap of 32g kanthal D or A, don't know for sure, measuring 2.3 ohms. Could it be caused by the wire? I can make a video myself I guess but you can see it happening in this video also. I've been using the atty exclusively lately and never had this problem before but this is the first time I'm not using nichrome. Power in not a problem as I'm using a Vamo.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
I did that, and it didn't solve it. I then I tried tightening the 3 coils at the top as they seemed a bit wider than the bottom 2 and that made it better a bit but when I placed back the wick the coil started shorting and after a few dry burns the wire broke on the top - where it was more heat -. Guess I'm going to try the old nichrome to see what happens

river.guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Bullhead City, AZ
I have had good luck just fiddling with the coils in between dry firing. Sometimes the oxidation on the wick isn't good enough and you have to space the coils around evenly and move them a bit. I have done everything from a 3 wrap 1.7 ohm to my current 8 wrap 3.0 ohm. Just takes a bit of practice and you'll have it. Don't give up!

Edit: using 32ga Kanthal A1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread