Rta for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you are more on the MTLsh side to sort of mild DL, I'd probably recommend a Siren V2. They're easy to set up. They can come liberally coated in machine oil so wash thoroughly if you get one. Otherwise you will be complaining of the taste.

They are relatively forgiving in the sense that they are a velocity style deck, so you are not tucking wicks into holes, underneath things and whatnot.

With that said, they are well, like any RTA if the coil placement and wicking is wrong, they are going to leak. ANY RTA can leak if the wicking is wrong.

Well, maybe not the doggy style. Hard to get originals but the clones and whatnot from fasttech are gonna be your best bet. They also have bottom airflow as well, and I have done some pretty dreadful things to them wicking wise and they just have refused wick.... Like having almost ALL of my wick get pulled over to one side of the coil, etc. I kind of have a hunch they might not leak if you don't wick them at ALL. I am kidding of course.

The Siren V2 only comes in 24 mm now, the 22 is out of production. The doggy is a 22 mm tank (I think!) but its capacity is 3.5 ml. Siren is 4.5 ml.

Still watch a few wicking and coiling tutorials with whatever you get.

Also if you are DL, disregard all of the above.

Good luck,

Anan

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Whelp I answered your question on your other thread on this but it's kind of worthless since I am MTL.

I will merely point out (and yes, I was a beginner builder too at one point) there is no substitute for experimenting, learning and etc. MAYBE top air is more leakproof but almost all of my RTAs are bottom air actually. They don't leak (anymore) because I learned how to use them.

Coughing with an RTA generally happens for me with a wicking problem. It can happen before "burnt." and for me it tends to happen if I have wicked too tightly in the coil, and the coil has gotten "yuck" or even snapped in two.

The solution isn't bottom air, it is really sitting down and getting to know your RTA. Its likes, its dislikes, how it feels about you as you vape it, where it would like you to place its coil, etc.

There are also the various types of wicking material. I won't get too far into those other than to say, rayon is for me 100%. It shrinks when wet, it doesn't expand. That sort of plays to my desire to overwick strengths.

I think a lot of new vapers want to overwick. It's like "IF I JUST stuff enough wick In this thing, it won't leak." That's not actually how it works.

Anna

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I assume you don't mind release dates? Bottom airflow easy to wick IMO is Kylin mini V2.. Just because of the wick slots that has guards, just tuck the wicks in and you're golden. Remember, "V2"!! V1 is a pita.
maxresdefault.jpg

Easy wick on the top airflow side, I suggest Serpent elevate. Same type of wick guard on the wick slots, but top airflow goodness should handle your leaking problems.

atomiseur-serpent-elevate-rta-wotofo.png

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I assume you don't mind release dates? Bottom airflow easy to wick IMO is Kylin mini V2.. Just because of the wick slots that has guards, just tuck the wicks in and you're golden. Remember, "V2"!! V1 is a pita.
maxresdefault.jpg

Easy wick on the top airflow side, I suggest Serpent elevate. Same type of wick guard on the wick slots, but top airflow goodness should handle your leaking problems.

atomiseur-serpent-elevate-rta-wotofo.png
Seems to introduce juice to the wick through the side of the wick rather than the end. That could increase the amount of slop by several mm.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know though, there is something to be said for jumping in at the deep end. I had been offered like, an EASY solution for my first build (Hussar Clone) and so I had this Russian 91% or whatever it's called loitering around (I think I bought it because it was 4 bucks on clearance and it looked cool.)

I decided not to wait. It was an interesting afternoon. Loving members here provided cliff notes, LOL. The husband had to help.... There was yelling at times. A teeny tiny little coil was mounted in the pathetically small 4 post deck. Diagonally.

It was a terrible vape and it leaked like a sieve. But, I learned a lot.

One day soon here I'm gonna have to vape it properly. But it did make some other stuff seem a lot easier.

Anna

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
I got my Hussar clone today and I agree with Anna. It is extremely forgiving and simple to build. You just have to get used to using less cotton than you think you need. Alternatively the Hussar Project X clone.

New Kayfun Lite is very difficult to make leak as long as you don't leave the cotton to gunk up after a few refills. Plenty of people have one so there are lots of build and wicking pictures to guide you. Not had any issues with my three Kayfun Lite SXK clones.

Also the Expromiser V4 while having top airflow even though you wanted bottom airflow hasn't leaked on me once. It's easy to build and wick and has very nice flavour. Only thing you have to get used to is how the juice flow control works but there's nothing complicated about it.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Hello.

Can anyone recommend a bottom airflow RTA that is easy to wick and is forgiving with the wicking so i does not leak.

Best regards
bottom airflow and leakproof arent related, top airflow will ensure leak proof a bit better compared to bottom...

so why it should be bottom airflow or why you ask for that one specific?

paraoh mini is the one that comes to mind, despite is known for being leaky, but pretty easy to build and wick, single coil, meant for flavor, not clouds, revolver RTA is another decent bottom airflow device, dual coils, easy to build... if not, zeus ones are pretty easy to build, amazing units, Zeus single and zeus X are the most valuable tanks in my collection,

Regards,

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You know though, there is something to be said for jumping in at the deep end. I had been offered like, an EASY solution for my first build (Hussar Clone) and so I had this Russian 91% or whatever it's called loitering around (I think I bought it because it was 4 bucks on clearance and it looked cool.)

I decided not to wait. It was an interesting afternoon. Loving members here provided cliff notes, LOL. The husband had to help.... There was yelling at times. A teeny tiny little coil was mounted in the pathetically small 4 post deck. Diagonally.

It was a terrible vape and it leaked like a sieve. But, I learned a lot.

One day soon here I'm gonna have to vape it properly. But it did make some other stuff seem a lot easier.

Anna
Yeah, the Russian is pretty old tech. Things have definitely moved on from there.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread