RTA/RDA what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreilaRose

Aug 22, 2015
Specifics first: my RTA is a Subtank Mini with my own build - single coil, .6 ohm. vaping at 23W.
My RDA is a Troll - dual coil .6-.7ohm. vaping at 33-35W.

RDA is supposed to be better for flavor, right? If I'm wrong, correct me now. Because I've now had two flavors in a row that are orders of magnitude better in my tank than they were on the RDA. Both of them, I was like, meh, they're ok, on the RDA, but I was running low on juice so decided to fill the tank with them, and the flavor is SO SO SO SO much better in the tank. I'm now wondering about several of the juice samples I've outright rejected based on vaping a bit on the RDA.

In truth, I'm mostly a tank vapor, I'm lazy and want it to be easy. I only bought the RDA so I could sample flavors before committing a full tank to them. But if I'm getting these results, what is the point?

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
It's hard to comment without knowing the actual builds but it seems your sub tank is running a fair amount warmer than the Rda, assuming same wire used.

I looked up the troll and it doesn't really strike me as a flavor atty. seemingly large chamber and big airflow, more akin to a cloud chasing device.
While it's true that RDAs generally have better flavor, your build also has to match the device and airflow settings. Too much air and flavor goes out the window.

My first suggestion would be to try and close off the airflow more, or to try a heftier build at a higher power level.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Your experience doesn't surprise me at all. It's why the only dripper I still use is my trusty Igo-L for taste testing. And that's simply for the convenience of a quick re-wicking. The others I've given away or are collecting dust.

IMO, given comparable builds, a well designed tank produces better flavor then a dripper.

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
my opinion on drippers are that they're great for just sampling juices and cloud chasing. Most of the time I ask any local vape shops, they always tell me tanks have a much better flavor than drippers. But then again, everyone have their own opinions. I personally prefer to have both as drippers are nice to have at home when theres nothing on your hands to do.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Specifics first: my RTA is a Subtank Mini with my own build - single coil, .6 ohm. Vaping at 23W.
My RDA is a Troll - dual coil .6-.7ohm. Vaping at 33-35W.

RDA is supposed to be better for flavor, right? If I'm wrong, correct me now.

The later first. No, RDA's are not better for flavor (like much in the vaping world, there are staunch supports of it but the reality is flavor is all in design of the device meeting the preferences of the user). The dual coil side air intake design common to most RDA's (out of design laziness) has never tasted better to me than a single coil bottom air feed device.

Secondly, What happens when you build the troll as a single coil and vape it at 23w? Why are you pushing it some much harder than the RTA?

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
If it was me, Id revisit the troll with a set of coils running about .3 (2x.6), and wattage between 50-55. IMHO, .6 is not enough vapor for that full size chamber, the airflow with that RDA will dilute the vapor and wind up making it weak tasting. JMHO.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Your experience doesn't surprise me at all. It's why the only dripper I still use is my trusty Igo-L for taste testing. And that's simply for the convenience of a quick re-wicking. The others I've given away or are collecting dust.

IMO, given comparable builds, a well designed tank produces better flavor then a dripper.

I agree. I've yet to meet a dripper with better flavor than my tank collection.

XXZOMBIEPEPPERXX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
New Mexico
I have a mutation v3 definitely not ment to be a flavorchaser, I tried multiple builds in it and the only one that created wicked flavor is a triple twisted 28 guage 6 or 5 wrap 3mm single coil around .50 ohms and it rocks with flavor and vapor also tried a dual coil twisted as well and it rocked flavor too but at .25 was too airy and hot for my tastes. I use the same in my subtank minis and they rock the flavor too. Hope that helps ....

BreilaRose

Aug 22, 2015
It's hard to comment without knowing the actual builds but it seems your sub tank is running a fair amount warmer than the Rda, assuming same wire used.

I looked up the troll and it doesn't really strike me as a flavor atty. seemingly large chamber and big airflow, more akin to a cloud chasing device.
While it's true that RDAs generally have better flavor, your build also has to match the device and airflow settings. Too much air and flavor goes out the window.

My first suggestion would be to try and close off the airflow more, or to try a heftier build at a higher power level.
I have the airflow closed down as far as I can without cutting it off completely.

My mod is 50W, so I can't go too much higher.

It may be the atty, it is just a shame because that defeats the entire purpose of it, I wanted to taste test before filling a whole tank.

BreilaRose

Aug 22, 2015
The later first. No, RDA's are not better for flavor (like much in the vaping world, there are staunch supports of it but the reality is flavor is all in design of the device meeting the preferences of the user). The dual coil side air intake design common to most RDA's (out of design laziness) has never tasted better to me than a single coil bottom air feed device.

Secondly, What happens when you build the troll as a single coil and vape it at 23w? Why are you pushing it some much harder than the RTA?

I had a single coil in it to start, but since it was set up for dual coil I figured that was best. I may go back to single coil and give that a shot.

BreilaRose

Aug 22, 2015

Good to know it isn't my imagination! Thanks!

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
If it was me, Id revisit the troll with a set of coils running about .3 (2x.6), and wattage between 50-55. IMHO, .6 is not enough vapor for that full size chamber, the airflow with that RDA will dilute the vapor and wind up making it weak tasting. JMHO.
Just listing resistance is pointless without wire guage and if used single or parallel, coil ID, etc.

secutorum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
My Troll is a cloud RDA. Because of chamber size and airflow, it was never a flavor device for me, with any build. All but one juice I've found was very muted with a wide variety of coil types and resistances (and applied power). So it's collecting dust. For flavor, I use a Sapor with dual 24g @ .32 and 60 watts. Best flavor ever.

I've only tried 2 sub ohm tanks (Atlantis and SubTank). Both were bad. Terrible flavor. SubTanks also burn hot, even using the .5 coil and applying 20-25 watts. In my experience, there's no tank that comes close to the flavor that a decent RDA and decent coil build can produce. I've thought about the TFTv4 and the Crown, but I hate buying coils and I've been so utterly disappointed with the Kanger and Aspire tanks.

My advice is to get a flavor RDA like the Sapor. You can get an authentic for less than 30 bucks. Dual coil at .5 or .6 and you can happily puff away at 35-40 watts. That's what I build for my better half and she loves it. Won't even look at tanks anymore. I build her one set of coils per month. She changes her cotton and dry burns 1-2 times a week. Total time spent fiddling with it is around 15 minutes per month.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I don't have a troll, but I've seen them. They are about the same size as a Plume Veil, so it has to be possible to get good flavor from them. Here's a pic of an old build in my PV. 24G N80, 6wraps, 3mm ID. I think it was around .25 ohms? Awesome flavor and very decent clouds at 50W. In my experience, you have to run a hotter build in an airy RDA to get flavor. I would grab some Nichrome wire and try again. It's lower resistance wire and it heats up faster at lower watts. I think it will work better with your 50W mod.
plume veil.jpg

or...

Here is a pic of a single 2 strand parallel 28G kanthal build in the same PV. 3mm ID,I think it was 8 wraps? It works great at 30W. Runs cooler than the build above. Makes decent flavor, but the clouds aren't as big. It was my first attempt at a parallel coil and it sagged in the middle for some reason. Not sure why. None of my other parallel builds did this.
paralel plume veil.jpg

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Just listing resistance is pointless without wire guage and if used single or parallel, coil ID, etc.

I just did`nt want to get to fancy when all it would do is further confuse the situation. 5-6 wraps of 24-26 gauge around a 2.5-3mm dowel, OK?

:?)

Reactions: Boden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread