rta smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, it does sound like something with your build. Did you strum the coil and make sure it was burning evenly with no hot spots... especially near the legs which seems to be what is causing the issue.... A picture would be very helpful however, one with it dry burning so we can see how it's glowing (should be even) and just one of the build, if you can manage to upload some. I'm just kinda guessing at this point. It could also be a problem with the coil attachment, did you snip the legs as closely as you could to the screw holding them?

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Tonee N

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
if you're new to building sometimes the best thing to do is do a spaced coil.

it sounds like either your build isn't screwed in tight enough or you're trying to run too much power through thin wire or your coils aren't heating evenly and need strummed.

What guage wire are you using? also you should probably discard the wire that has burned as the protective coating will likely be gone based on what you've said so far.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

dogga94

Nov 15, 2017
MpiyQNw.jpg

Its not touching the base. tightened pretty good. Stainless 30/26 clapton, coil will burn even and it still smokes

sometimes one post will do it. sometimes all of them...

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
MpiyQNw.jpg

Its not touching the base. tightened pretty good. Stainless 30/26 clapton, coil will burn even and it still smokes

sometimes one post will do it. sometimes all of them...
Hi,
If you have not done so, take the unit to bits and give it a good soak/scrub with some washing up liquid and hot water. (use a pasta strainer in the sink so parts don't get lost.)
If the unit is new, it may be "dirty" from production. If you have been using it, a clean, dry device should remove a variable.
Depending on the wire you are using, it might need a bit of flame purification and/or an alcohol bath to remove any production residues.

cheers
I

• Useful

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Those are called legs (the coils legs) not posts (for you they are hot legs). It sounds like you don't have your coil legs captured correctly or tight enough with the screws or you have not achieved an even burn on your coil. The legs of your coil should not ramp up and glow quickly or at all. The glow should start in the middle of the coil and work it's way to the edges.

There are really no shortcuts when setting up an RTA for vaping. Watch the video and do exactly the same thing, even burn no hot legs before wicking. Once that is achieved you wick, cotton should be snug but not to tight as it will expand a little once it gets wet. Prior to putting the cap on wet your wick and test fire it. Your wick should be completely wet all the way through.... drenched. Until you get the hang of it you have to take your time, follow the video and you'll be fine.

Start out with low wattage, since you are using a Clapton start around 15 or 20 watts and move the wattage up slowly until you get the amount of vapor you like, take your time, don't rush through it. Once you have it down you'll be able to build in minutes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I swear the juice is burning on the legs. It has to be it. I had a it going clean no smoke. Drop of juice in one of the holes. same smoky smelling started. Why is mine doing this? how am i meant to fix that?
It shouldn’t do that. This is the point people are making. For some reason the point of highest resistance is where the screw touches the coil. It is not supposed to be that way. 99% of the time this happens because the coil is only just barely touching the connector. This is why people keep saying it’s a build problem.

You need the connection between the coil and the tank to be solid and firm. It is acting like it isn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread