RTA that behaves like an RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
I used tanks for YEARS, then eventually moved on to RTAs, but I was never totally satisfied with the flavor. About 6 months ago, I started building on RDAs and using 100% VG juice. It's changed my life. I started with the ElDiablo Baal and am now using the Twisted Messes, which I love. Every draw is so juicy and delicious that I wonder how I got by using my STM and Lemo Drop. However...

I miss my tanks. They're convenient, harder to "overfill" and leak everywhere, keeping them upright is not necessary, and the top cap can't just fall off in my pocket and wick my underwear full of juice. The problem is (or was) that tanks have (had) horrendous airflow, max VG juice won't wick, and the flavor profile is non-existent compared to RDAs.

This is what I want:
- Tank
- Top fill
- Easy to fill (no screws or anything)
- Quality deck, easy builds, hex screws highly preferred (definitely don't want phillips)
- Good airflow & easily adjustable
- Great flavor
- Two post preferred (two post holes per post would be awesome)
- No leaks
- A good size tank is a "nice to have"

In case it matters, I'll be using 26ga and 28ga kanthal standard macro coils, 28ga for dual coil and 26ga for single coil. I build both to be about 1.2ohm and hit them from 30-35 watts.

Six months of tech has to have brought something good to the table, right? I know a lot of stuff has been released, but is there any RTA out there that can mark all my checkboxes? Please! :)

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
UD Bellus

The OP said he/she really isn't interested in standard Phillips screws on the deck, which the Bellus has, though I am also a big Bellus fan now. It would provide pretty much everything else written in the list of wants. With a lower ohm dual coil build, I'd almost rate it on par with a RDA in terms of potential clouds and flavor.

The Griffin is another decent option. It does come with a Velocity-style deck with two posts and hex grub screws if that's an absolute must-have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
That one looks pretty nice, but the deck is really small and it uses phillips screws. :( I'm also concerned about leakage with that design.

Mine never leaks now. Like, ever! Once you get the wicking down pat, dry hits and leaking become a thing of the past. I don't even close off the AFC when refilling now and never so much as condensation on the drilled out holes covering the AFC. The deck is limited, however, but I don't think it'll cause you much problem with the style coils you've mentioned wanting to use. I can get dual 24G coils at 2.5 ID without having any problems. Any bigger than that and you're probably going to get some shorts.

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
The OP said he/she really isn't interested in standard Phillips screws on the deck, which the Bellus has, though I am also a big Bellus fan now. It would provide pretty much everything else written in the list of wants. With a lower ohm dual coil build, I'd almost rate it on par with a RDA in terms of potential clouds and flavor.

The Griffin is another decent option, though you might have to order the RTA deck separate. It does come with a Velocity-style deck with two posts and hex grub screws if that's an absolutely must-have.
I love the deck on that Griffin. It looks great. I'd go as far as saying that's probably a "perfect" RTA deck for what I'm looking for.

I'm mostly going to be building single coil. I switched back to single in my RDAs because I was tired of ripping through juice. :)

Reactions: KineticMind

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
The deck is limited, however, but I don't think it'll cause you much problem with the style coils you've mentioned wanting to use. I can get dual 24G coils at 2.5 ID without having any problems. Any bigger than that and you're probably going to get some shorts.
I should've given more detail about my builds. I'm usually at 2.5 or 3mm ID. 26ga gets about 8 wraps around 2.5 and the 28ga gets 10-11 wraps around 3mm on dual coil builds.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The Griffin is another decent option, though you might have to order the RTA deck separate. It does come with a Velocity-style deck with two posts and hex grub screws if that's an absolutely must-have.

The Griffin doesn't have a detachable rta deck, does it? I think the velocity style deck it comes with is the only option.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
I love the deck on that Griffin. It looks great. I'd go as far as saying that's probably a "perfect" RTA deck for what I'm looking for.

I'm mostly going to be building single coil. I switched back to single in my RDAs because I was tired of ripping through juice. :)

Sounds like the Griffin would probably suit you well! But at least give some consideration to the Bellus, because it's pretty close. I don't think you'll find one with hex screws, but the Phillips screws really aren't bad since you'd probably be running your wire through the post holes as opposed to wrapping around screw heads. I love both RTA's, but honestly do use my Bellus more. It also comes with a silicone plug you can use to block one side of the deck and run a single coil.

I should've given more detail about my builds. I'm usually at 2.5 or 3mm ID. 26ga gets about 8 wraps around 2.5 and the 28ga gets 10-11 wraps around 3mm on dual coil builds.

I've only used 24g in mine, so can't comment on how well smaller gauge wires would perform, but you may be able to manage to squeeze 3mm coils in there. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny whether or not it would work. 2.5mm, however, is probably going to be tight but doable with that many wraps.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
The Griffin doesn't have a detachable rta deck, does it? I think the velocity style deck it comes with is the only option.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

LOL, yep, I was just mentioning the Uwell Crown in another thread and am getting decks mixed up now. Thanks for the catch, I'll edit that post!

Reactions: KenD

Hanifink

Feb 4, 2016
Brightwood Oregon
I'm looking for similar setup to you. The Griffin is getting great reviews and I love the size of the build deck. Remember though that the Griffin is really only a dual coil setup.
As far as a single coil, I've been looking hard at the Uwell Crown tank. The build is a tad trickier but it also gets outstanding reviews.

Reactions: MMW

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
I'm looking for similar setup to you. The Griffin is getting great reviews and I love the size of the build deck. Remember though that the Griffin is really only a dual coil setup.
As far as a single coil, I've been looking hard at the Uwell Crown tank. The build is a tad trickier but it also gets outstanding reviews.
I don't see why you couldn't plug the juice flow hold on the griffin like some people do on the aromamizer.

perhaps slightly more finagling, but I'm sure its doable

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
I also have to say the bellus is a great tank and the philips screws are alot bigger than any of my other tanks. But with what your looking for i'd suggest the diablo 2.5ml it has good top fill like a crown velocity style deck with hex screws the small size means you'll get huge flavor. The deck is also bigger than a crius but not as big as a griffin. The only down side is the 2.5ml capacity but thats where you'll get crazy flavor and with top fill it's np. $10.93 Diablo Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (304 SS + Glass, Silver - B) at m.FastTech.com

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MadVLN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread