overwhelmed by all the options... looking for good MTL RTA, details inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
Howdy ECF, I am looking for some assistance wading through the large number of rta options on the market right now.

Here's my situation:
The Innokin Ares, my first rta, has been my main drag for about four months now and it isn't working out for me. It needs a 3mm diameter coil to get enough wick in there to plug the wicking holes, otherwise it leaks. Builds with these large diameter coils are overly finicky on the Ares due to low deck headroom and I find the flavor is less than satisfying.

Here's how I like things:
  • definitely MTL
  • thick single coil at about .5ohm
  • power as low as I can get away with, typically ~15 watts
  • high PG juice at 70/30 : PG/VG

Here's the features I want, in order of priority:
  • low risk of leaks
  • really nice clean flavor(clouds not important to me at all)
  • plenty of airflow
  • lots of build space
  • easy to view remaining juice level
  • convenient top fill
  • large tank capacity
  • easy to open and rewick at any point without wasting juice in the tank

I am a very basic vaper just looking to fill my need... something enjoyable, reliable, and worry-free is what's for me. I want to find THE ONE TANK that I can use for the next several years(or forever) and be done with it.

It seems likely I won't get to have it all, but what's out there that might fit? Anyone got recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I have both the Ares and Siren 2.
Build 2.5mm in both, but 7 wraps and comes out to about 1.10. Good flavor from both, but I would rate the Ares a bit better. I am sure someone will come up with alternate recommendations since the Ares is not doing it for you. I am also at 70/30 vg pg so that may make a difference.
I will watch the thread, always looking for that better RTA.

Reactions: stols001

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
Morning,

maybe take a look at the Vapefly Galaxy MTL
  • low risk of leaks
    • until now no issues of leaking even laid to the side for hours
  • really nice clean flavor(clouds not important to me at all)
    • beats my berserker mini (but could just be me)
  • plenty of airflow
    • up to 4 replaceable option below the deck. can be done even without unscrewing the coil. plus AFC
  • lots of build space
    • Would say up to 3.5 mm coils and 5/6 wide
  • easy to view remaining juice level
    • Bubble glass 5 ML and normal 2 ML
  • convenient top fill
    • knurled top cap
  • large tank capacity
    • see juice level
  • easy to open and rewick at any point without wasting juice in the tank
    • base can be removed without loosing liquid in the tank
3 mm and 2.5 mm coils tested without leaking. liquid channel has two smaller holes instead of one big.
airflow i would say up to restricted direct lung. deck is pretty wide for "big builds". Easy to build and wick as well.

Review:

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Either the SXK (loose MTL) or SMJY (very loose MTL to restricted DTL) clone of the Doggystyle is what I think fits your requirements very well... except top fill. There is a new version that has top fill but I haven't tried it.

$11.01 SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + PC / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$12.11 SJMY Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + pc at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

My vaping style is a bit different that yours, and I prefer the YFTK clone of the Prime. But I think the Doggy better fits the way that you vape.

There's a large cult like following with 133 pages of posts here:
SXK DOGGY STYLE

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
P-Funk , I have the Ares, Beserker, and the Siren 2. All are good tanks, but IMO the Vandy Vape Beserker beats the other two for MTL flavor with no leaking. It also has a screw off top cap fill that's quick and easy. The Beserker might be a little tight if you like easy MTL draw. The Ares is more of a free draw DTL on its wide open setting. The Beserker is tighter MTL even on its widest draw setting.

All that said, the DoggyStyle 2K16 may just tick all your boxes. It's a great flavor atty with wide control over airflow. It's a pocket carry size and style. It holds 3.5ml juice. That matters if you are out and about, but I keep a 10ml bottle of juice and a spare battery in my vehicle.

$11.01 SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + PC / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm a very airy mtler who prefers the restricted lung hit type of draw.

I'd hesitate on the vapefly galaxies, flavour is awesome - but even without any restriction block in place I just found it way too tight.

Sxk 2k18 doggystyle RTA would fit your style. 2.5mm airflow hole. Flavour is outstanding and it's a top fill.

Also have a look through the Ehpro true mtl RTA thread. It's on my wish list due to the awesome flavour they are getting. Here's a link to the RTA:
    EHPRO True MTL RTA

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Looks like Doggystyle has a polycarbonate tank... I vape lots of citrus so that's another concern I didn't even think about until now.

None of the tanks mentioned are very expensive on fastech. I'm gonna pick up a few and see what I like. I'll report back with my findings.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Looks like Doggystyle has a polycarbonate tank... I vape lots of citrus so that's another concern I didn't even think about until now.

None of the tanks mentioned are very expensive on fastech. I'm gonna pick up a few and see what I like. I'll report back with my findings.

The new Doggy 2k18 comes with a PC tank but a PEI tank is available for separate purchase. Use coupon code "MAP" to get the atomizer at a discount.
    $4.67 SXK Replacement PEI Top Cap + 510 Drip Tip for Doggystyle 2K18 RTA Atomizer - 3.5ml at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $15.90 SXK Doggystyle 2K18 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / 316 stainless steel + PC / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    You will love the EHpro True, not only is the vape outstanding with smooth airflow and great flavor it is also gorgeous .

20190111_142006.jpg

20190111_143029.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have the EHPro True and it's a great atty. 2ml stock and 3ml with the bubble glass makes it an around the house vape. I like 4ml or better for times when I'm going to be away from home most of the day. I carry a zip lock with juice, a battery, and a small screwdriver just in case I get caught away from home longer than I thought.

Right now, my favorite new atty is the Coppervape Skyline MTL RTA clone. It's the atty I've been searching for all these years to replace my Kayfun atties. It's very much like the Kayfun with a 4ml capacity and great flavor. The Skyline adds juice and air feed controls, and it's leak free like the Kayfun 2. It's a top fill atty that doesn't leak after filling as long as you close the juice feed before doing so.

$19.51 Coppervape Skyline Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4ml / 316 stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:

mototoo

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    my first set up was an ares over hcigar warwolf. flavor was very muted. tried many kinds of coils (different gauges, kanthal to claptons, 2.5-3mm), still muted. i was so disappointed, i got the berserker mini. flavor was far better.

heres the thing, i got a new mod, aegis 100w. played with the ares again on a 3mm id 26g kanthal wire, i was shocked. on the aegis, the flavor was awesome. not sure if it was the mod because i sold my warwolf. the ares can be in my rotation because of the flavor i get from it now.

id say i understand what you mean on an airy draw because ive tried the ares. you can try the true mtl but change the drip tip. original tip has a small id and adds to the tightness. but i would think you will prefer the galaxies. easier to build, you can get an airy draw using the cylinder cutout block, using the 2 biggest airflow settings.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I didn't think the Ares were that great, frankly. However, it's most likely the change in your tank, not you mod. If you want to know for sure, vape it on each mod and see if it's substantially different. My guess is, it won't be, although given each mod converts power in its own unique way, you may need to play with the settings some.

It's not that I don't think some mods vape better than others (I do) it's more like the amount of change you are describing and going from DL to MTL. That is a big change.

Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: greek mule

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    So it seems FastTech is a bit of a misnomer... after more than five weeks my new tanks have (finally!) arrived.
    Based suggestions in this thread and elsewhere on ECF, I picked up:
    • VandyVape Berserker MTL RTA
    • VandyVape Berserker 1.5 MTL RTA
    • Coppervape Skyline RTA clone
    • Ehpro True MTL RTA
    • VapeFly Galaxies MTL RTA
    • GeekVape Ammit MTL RTA
    I will be testing these out and posting my thoughts as I get to each.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    So it seems FastTech is a bit of a misnomer... after more than five weeks my new tanks have (finally!) arrived.
    Based suggestions in this thread and elsewhere on ECF, I picked up:
    • VandyVape Berserker MTL RTA
    • VandyVape Berserker 1.5 MTL RTA
    • Coppervape Skyline RTA clone
    • Ehpro True MTL RTA
    • VapeFly Galaxies MTL RTA
    • GeekVape Ammit MTL RTA
    I will be testing these out and posting my thoughts as I get to each.

My prediction is you'll love the True RTA and the Ammit mtl RTA - looking forward to your results :)

• Agree

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    For the last week, I have been trying out the VandyVape Berserker. Impressions:
    • The build deck is very small. Compared to the Ares it is tiny. I can't see a coil of inner diameter larger than 2mm fitting on the Berserker's deck.
    • There were zero issues with leaking. For me the Ares was a constant battle with wicking... had to use enough wick to plug up the huge juice holes in the Ares deck, which led to building huge coils to accommodate all the necessary wick, and even then occasional leaking anyway. It is worth noting that I took the advice of others and ignored the Berserker's topfill ports, filling from the bottom only.
    • Performance was better with a wick that was very thinned out down into the wells. Best was thinning by combing with fine forceps and then "butterfly" snipping down to size as I read about elsewhere on this board. The wells need very little wick in them to perform well. They do not need to be densely packed at all.
    • Airflow was higher than I expected it to be based on user feedback here. While not as loose as the Ares, the airflow on the Berserker is plenty loose for an airy MTLer like me.
    • Flavor was very good. I'd give it a solid edge over the Ares, which makes sense given the relatively small chamber.
    • The large glass tank holds a lot of juice. I didn't measure but I estimate it approaches 5ml. I can vape all day and still have juice left in the tank.
    • About midway through the week I noticed a neat little shoutout to fans of the manga/anime Berserk. They printed the Brand of Sacrifice on the outside of the chimney! This is totally meaningless as far as the vaping experience goes, but a fun addition nonetheless.
    Overall, I am very satisfied with the Berserker. I experienced no major drawbacks and I would give it a solid recommendation!

Next up: Ehpro True

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread