RTA to pod e juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
I use an rta (Erl) at 1.1 ohms and recently made a nic salt concoction at 50mg/ml and 73/27 PG/VG. It works perfect with my Erl. I had my coworker try my stuff, and I figured the higher PG % would be okay for his pod (I'm not terribly familiar with pods, other than store bought nic salts are typically 50% VG or higher). He said his coil/wick burnt up right away, blamed it on the nicotine burning it up.. but he vapes 50mg/ml nic salts also. Did I figure wrong? If I want to make juice for him, do I need to make it 50% VG or higher?

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I use an RTA (Erl) at 1.1 ohms and recently made a nic salt concoction at 50mg/ml and 73/27 PG/VG. It works perfect with my Erl. I had my coworker try my stuff, and I figured the higher PG % would be okay for his pod (I'm not terribly familiar with pods, other than store bought Nic salts are typically 50% VG or higher). He said his coil/wick burnt up right away, blamed it on the nicotine burning it up.. but he vapes 50mg/ml nic salts also. Did I figure wrong? If I want to make juice for him, do I need to make it 50% VG or higher?
Hi,
What flavour was the juice and at what percentage was the flavour mixed?
Which pod device is he using?

Cheers
I

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Hi,
What flavour was the juice and at what percentage was the flavour mixed?
Which pod device is he using?

Cheers
I
Total amount: 10ml (9.23g)
Nicotine strength:: 50mg/ml
PG/VG/H2O: 68/32/0

- Nicotine base: 5ml (5.2g)
- Zero PG portion: 0ml (0g)
- Zero VG portion: 3.2ml (4.03g)
- H2O portion: 0ml (0g)
- Strawberry CAP - 5%: 0.5ml (0.52g)
- Watermelon candy TFA - 7%: 0.7ml (0.73g)
- Apple candy TFA - 5%: 0.5ml (0.52g)
- Vanilla Custard v2 CAP - 1%: 0.1ml (0.1g)

he's using a Smok rolo badge pod, could very well be that he's using a Smok product and not my juice. I feel like a mostly fruit/candy juice wouldn't gunk up his coil so quickly.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

he's using a Smok rolo badge pod, could very well be that he's using a Smok product and not my juice. I feel like a mostly fruit/candy juice wouldn't gunk up his coil so quickly.
Thank you.

The recipe posted seems like it would be on the sweet end of the fruit spectrum.
It may be the sweeteners in the concentrates that are causing the coil issues.

But I'm just spit ballin' without seeing the condition of the actual coil.

HTH
I

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth

he's using a Smok rolo badge pod
It sounds like your cow-orker is a superstitious idiot. Nic has nothing to do with burning up coils. Most pod systems are designed for 50/50. If you're gonna go higher VG cut it with 3% distilled water to thin it out.
That's what I thought.
The way my DIY juice supplies are setup, I'm geared towards higher PG. 100% PG nic salt base, and VG. If I wanted to make 50/50 for him I'd likely have to get some 50/50 nic base and a jug of PG too.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
That's what I thought.
The way my DIY juice supplies are setup, I'm geared towards higher PG. 100% PG nic salt base, and VG. If I wanted to make 50/50 for him I'd likely have to get some 50/50 nic base and a jug of PG too.
So I guess unless he buys a decent high ohm tank and mod, he's out of luck unless he pays he handsomely for juice made just for him.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
A 68PG/38VG blend should be thinner (less viscous) than a 50/50 mix. And, therefore, wick better. Thinner mixes might cause leaking problems; but shouldn't increase chances of dry hits, or burned out coils. I don't think it is a PG/VG ratio issue.

Did you use a pod/coil that had already seen use? The pod could have been near the end of its normal lifespan and he is erroneously blaming the liquid.

If it was a new pod; did he allow for complete saturation of the new wick before vaping? Premature vaping could burn out the wick and/or coil.

Could it me a simple matter of a crappy pod? Smok isn't exactly at the top of the heap for quality consistency.

If those aren't the issue, I am in to think along the same lines as @Izan, and consider the flavor concentrates. TFA Watermelon Candy alone, may contain as much as 10% Maltol (reputed as a gunker). I don't recognize any of the Apple Candy ingredients as gunkers, but that doesn't mean anything. CAP doesn't offer any sort of details on their concentrates, and I'm not sure which actual strawberry you used (they have a Ripe, Taffy, kiwi, Cream, and Sweet variation, but not just "Strawberry"). But, I would not be surprised if both the strawberry and v2 VC had their own sweeteners as well. Combine them all and use 18% to volume, and it could well be a gunkier type of recipe.

The bigger the coil, and the more wicking material available, the longer a setup can survive a gunky e-liquid. So, I could see a full-size atty fair better, than a pod with a tiny coil and minimal wicking material. Also, the fixed temperature/power output, may not be ideal for the recipe's composition.

Like Izan, I am just brainstorming, but these seem just as possible as an incompatible PG/VG ratio. :)

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
A 68PG/38VG blend should be thinner (less viscous) than a 50/50 mix. And, therefore, wick better. Thinner mixes might cause leaking problems; but shouldn't increase chances of dry hits, or burned out coils. I don't think it is a PG/VG ratio issue.

Did you use a pod/coil that had already seen use? The pod could have been near the end of its normal lifespan and he is erroneously blaming the liquid.

If it was a new pod; did he allow for complete saturation of the new wick before vaping? Premature vaping could burn out the wick and/or coil.

Could it me a simple matter of a crappy pod? Smok isn't exactly at the top of the heap for quality consistency.

If those aren't the issue, I am in to think along the same lines as @Izan, and consider the flavor concentrates. TFA Watermelon Candy alone, may contain as much as 10% Maltol (reputed as a gunker). I don't recognize any of the Apple Candy ingredients as gunkers, but that doesn't mean anything. CAP doesn't offer any sort of details on their concentrates, and I'm not sure which actual strawberry you used (they have a Ripe, Taffy, kiwi, Cream, and Sweet variation, but not just "Strawberry"). But, I would not be surprised if both the strawberry and v2 VC had their own sweeteners as well. Combine them all and use 18% to volume, and it could well be a gunkier type of recipe.

The bigger the coil, and the more wicking material available, the longer a setup can survive a gunky e-liquid. So, I could see a full-size atty fair better, than a pod with a tiny coil and minimal wicking material. Also, the fixed temperature/power output, may not be ideal for the recipe's composition.

Like Izan, I am just brainstorming, but these seem just as possible as an incompatible PG/VG ratio. :)
It sounds better, and easier to blame him and his crappy pod :D I am willing to bet his pod was at the end of it's life. He said it was instaneous.
Oops, I didn't realize I had not labelled the strawberry as sweet! I really didn't think about the sweet stuff as you and @Izan pointed out, but I find it hard to believe that it could have gunked up his coil instantly. I could see it over time or within a short period with such a tiny coil/wick.
As for me, I'm using a 2.4mm coil in my Erl, and so far my current recipes are gunking up my coil at a slower rate than previously bought higher VG store juices. I'm also leaving my tails on my wick a little thicker because of the higher PG%. I was using comically tiny tails before with the 50%+ VG store bought.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It sounds better, and easier to blame him and his crappy pod :D I am willing to bet his pod was at the end of it's life. He said it was instaneous.
I have never heard of any e-liquid (commercial or DIY) instantly kill a coil. I am inclined to believe it was: an old coil ready to fail; failure on his part to adequately prime/saturate a new coil; or just a plain old defective coil (again; it's a Smok).

If he doesn't want to vape your DIY; no skin off your nose. If you are liking the results, and staying away from the stinky's; that's what's important... and one less person you have to try and mix for. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread