Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    "Subtank" really means nothing and has nothing to do with RDTAs vs RTAs.

I think the term was coined by Kanger (or at least popularized by them) with their sub-ohm clearomizer called the "Subtank" that could be turned into an RTA with an RBA coil. It was one of the first clearomisers that had factory coils in sub-ohm resistances, like 0.5 ohm. What a subhom clearomizer is mostly synonymous with is a cloud chucking tank that is designed for DL, not so much MTL.

But you can build a subhohm build on any tank, even a tootle puffer tank, as long as your mod supports subohm coils (which they all do these days to some degree). Most, I suspect, do not for various reason irrelevant to this thread (I think).

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    agreed if you are wicking it correctly an rdta wicks should be barely visible at the top of the tank.

Maybe the the poster was thinking of gennies that have various types of wicks that are fully submersed in the tank.

Then how does the juice get to the wicks once the juice gets lower than the wick tails?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    FWIW, I liked the Avocado's so much that other RDTA's didn't appeal to me or see much use. That said, short wicking is not how life started with Avocado's in their early reviews anyway. The reviews out on the Avocado's when they first came out (22's 3/2016 and 24's 5/2016) showed the proper way to wick them was with the tails cut long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Others reviews came along after with the wicks getting shorter and shorter until I saw some reviews that more closely followed my wicking method. So folks learned that less is more in the Avocado's anyway.

Here's a couple of screen shots of an Avo 24 YT review I had bookmarked dated June 9, 2016... the tails were cut long and when tucked in reached the bottom of the tank. IMO unsightly, totally unnecessary and I heard from others they sometimes caused other issues.
    View attachment 908811 View attachment 908815
    At the time the Avocado's first came out I was running a forum in South Africa instead of this one (for about 1.5 years starting from 3/2016). The good folks down there followed the suggested long wicking for them... I didn't. They had problems, I didn't, so they soon followed my lead or at least shortened the wicks so they could just barely be seen. In my builds the wicking did not come down into the tank at all. They were cut to just get thru the hole to the bottom of the deck base itself. IOW, even with the clear glass installed you couldn't see my wicks at all. I know that was slitting hairs maybe, but in my way of thinking the wicks had to act like a plug to stop any liquid from getting thru the holes in the deck when I tilted the mod to vape, and that tilt would feed the wick ends just fine and eliminated the unkept look of long wicks down in the tank. Given it took the exact amount of wick, but how much to use was very easy to learn and adjust for. I also typically wrapped 2.5mm & 3mm coils for the 22's; 3mm & 4mm for the 24's. So in all cases that was more than enough wick to keep up with my vaping style.
    View attachment 908823

Ok now that makes sense....not that I didn't believe you ofc lol I am just always curious to understand how things work even tho I don't own any rdta atm....sooo it makes sense that when u vape u tilt the tank anyways so the juice will go to the wicks...but if theoretically u would vape always holding vape vertically then u would have a dry cotton...right?? Now I think about that avocado thingy seems that very long wicks touching the bottom coul cause problem either not letting the juice flow around the tank easy if it's thick or cause the cotton fibers touching the bottom and only could absorb juice from the sides of the fibers....anyways my English suk and I can't say what I think but my questions are answered hahahahah

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Then how does the juice get to the wicks once the juice gets lower than the wick tails?

I wonder same but seems from the tilting of the vape as u puff...there will be some juice left on the bottom tho I guess except if u just let the wicks hang down a bit more maybe?? I don't know but now as a niebie I kinda like this design cause the tank is under the chamber and u don't have try to equalise the atmospheric pressure like u do in classic rtas....and I think about that avocado atty even if u leave a bit cotton hanging would be ok I guess not bad it just that as spydro said some had problems when it was touching the bottom or maybe they where Savage chain vapers and no matter what the wicking couldn't keep up with them...or they stuffed love of cotton into the channels :p

• Agree
    Reactions: Mordacai

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    @UncleJunkle, Hussar Project X and certain Steam Crave RBA's have similar design principles to the Taifun GS with the deck at the bottomof the RBA..

I myself think that they're RTA's and not RDTA's, as I believe that the build deck should always be on top to be an RDTA.
    I guess since the D Means dripping that means any atty that u can drip from the top is rda? Or rtda if has a tank also...or maybe those with bottom tank should just be called rtas??? Also I always thought rdas could only be for dl vaping cause of larger airflow and larger driptips making it easier to drip....but ok I start to understand how it goes.....as I see it now everything has to do with how it's designed and build...i mean cause even some rtas have the build deck higher or at the bottom and that makes a little difference in how they work and that's why the wicking process it's not a standard and must be adjusted not only cause of the style u vape and the juice and and blah blah but also for the specific atty u use.....and anyways the way brands are naming all l those different attys maybe it's confusing even for some pros and much more for a newbie... :D that's the beauty of vaping tho in the way it is now :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    BTW @Spydro whaaaaat car is that in the pictures always forget to ask (off topic) :D

OFF TOPIC REPLY
    It's the newest Corvette I've owned, a numbers matching 1973 T Top Stingray. When it was brand new it was customized (wheels, paint, cloth interior). It has always been garaged, has never been wrecked or raced, has low miles for its age and the custom IMROM paint job is still 99%+ perfect despite being nearly 48 years old. Of additional interest maybe, I was asked to submit a picture of it to be considered for the International C3VR Corvette calendar in 2006 where 12 worldwide would be in that calendar. It was selected to be Miss August 2006. I still have one hanging on my wall.

SpyRide#1.jpg SpyRide#2.jpg SpyRide#3.jpg
    MissAug2006.jpg

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    OFF TOPIC REPLY
    It's the newest Corvette I've owned, a numbers matching 1973 T Top Stingray. When it was brand new it was customized (wheels, paint, cloth interior). It has always been garaged, has never been wrecked or raced, has low miles for its age and the custom IMROM paint job is still 99%+ perfect despite being nearly 48 years old. Of additional interest maybe, I was asked to submit a picture of it to be considered for the International C3VR Corvette calendar in 2006 where 12 worldwide would be in that calendar. It was selected to be Miss August 2006. I still have one hanging on my wall.

View attachment 908829 View attachment 908831 View attachment 908833
    View attachment 908835

OMG...miss August is a beautyyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks for pics....I guess you are collector and have more beauties...that's awesome :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    OMG...miss August is a beautyyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks for pics....I guess you are collector and have more beauties...that's awesome :)
    OT
    This '73 is the only old classic car I own now. But I have always had at least one and as many as 1-4 hotrods and/or muscle cars at a time ever since 1963. More when I was younger though. Have endless pictures of some of them, but with so many they would be far off topic here. Will include a favorite one though that I eventually found again in 2005 and tried to buy back for $XXX,XXX.00 plus offered the '73 Stingray as a bonus (WAY more than its currant value was - no sale).... a last year pristine 1967 Austin Healy BJ8 Mk III Roadster that I bought virtually new in 1971 with only 70 miles on it when I lived in Carmel, CA.
    This picture is from the owner in 2005. It was still pristine then, if he still owns it I'd bet it still is today.
    9fbd4f.jpg

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    OT
    This '73 is the only old classic car I own now. But I have always had at least one and as many as 1-4 hotrods and/or muscle cars at a time ever since 1963. More when I was younger though. Have endless pictures of some of them, but with so many they would be far off topic here. Will include a favorite one though that I eventually found again in 2005 and tried to buy back for $XXX,XXX.00 plus offered the '73 Stingray as a bonus (WAY more than its currant value was - no sale).... a last year pristine 1967 Austin Healy BJ8 Mk III Roadster that I bought virtually new in 1971 with only 70 miles on it when I lived in Carmel, CA.
    This picture is from the owner in 2005. It was still pristine then, if he still owns it I'd bet it still is today.
    View attachment 909133

I am car mechanic and my father was also and So I was into cars since I remember myself but as I live in Europe and all those cars from usa are soooooo legendary for me those huge engines and very long hoods I really wish I could work on those cars ugh I only can see from movies and I once repaired a Pontiac firebird I think was 197x not well maintained tho but still was mindblown for me to see in person....different car building philosophy....those cars have character....and ofc classic cars much more

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    I am car mechanic and my father was also and So I was into cars since I remember myself but as I live in Europe and all those cars from usa are soooooo legendary for me those huge engines and very long hoods I really wish I could work on those cars ugh I only can see from movies and I once repaired a Pontiac firebird I think was 197x not well maintained tho but still was mindblown for me to see in person....different car building philosophy....those cars have character....and ofc classic cars much more

One of my uncles was an auto mechanic with a big shop. So from when very young with his help as I learned how to do it all myself I had nice '40's and '50's hot rod rides. But I've tamed some in old age when it comes to rides I guess. My so called daily driver is 22 years old, has never been wrecked, is still in pristine condition and only has 51K miles on it.
    dride5.jpg
    My middle aged son just told me about a week ago that he wanted to buy the Corvette for a fun weekend toy (as if his new daily driver is not fun, a $55K Civic Type R). Buy it? No way! We) live on a hot desert miles apart and he doesn't have room for it in his homes garage (that is already full of toys). So I told him if he finds a climate controlled security garage near him to keep it in he can have it as a gift. The truck will more than see me thru good enough to my end of trail for what little driving I do anymore. But, he can't have that 2006 calendar that is a fond memory until... ;)

Past time to get back to on topic.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    One of my uncles was an auto mechanic with a big shop. So from when very young with his help as I learned how to do it all myself I had nice '40's and '50's hot rod rides. But I've tamed some in old age when it comes to rides I guess. My so called daily driver is 22 years old, has never been wrecked, is still in pristine condition and only has 51K miles on it.
    View attachment 909587
    My middle aged son just told me about a week ago that he wanted to buy the Corvette for a fun weekend toy (as if his new daily driver is not fun, a $55K Civic Type R). Buy it? No way! We) live on a hot desert miles apart and he doesn't have room for it in his homes garage (that is already full of toys). So I told him if he finds a climate controlled security garage near him to keep it in he can have it as a gift. The truck will more than see me thru good enough to my end of trail for what little driving I do anymore. But, he can't have that 2006 calendar that is a fond memory until... ;)

Past time to get back to on topic.

He got a type R!!! but wants also a Corvette to do donuts on weekends???? :p
    You are cool dad...I am driving a fiat punto gt converted to 1.6cc from the 1.4cc stock engine and it's turbo and tuned to 225hp....it's 1994 model but I love this car cause in the 90s my father has made a name in tuning those cars and so it has emotional value to me to own one since he passed away...those cars for you guys will seem like small toys hahahaha...ok this is not a car forum Soo yeah .....BACK TO VAPING *PUFFSSSSSSSSSS

Reactions: Spydro

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Hmmmm.....how that rtda normally fills??? From top? I mean since the tank in on the bottom
    The Pindad has a fill valve between the posts that you push it down with the bottle nozzle to fill.
    Bombertech-Pindad-RDTA-Driptank-Review-deck.jpg

Or you take that 510 out and insert the squonking 510 that is sealed at the top.
    Bombertech-Pindad-RDTA-Driptank-Review-squonk.jpg

Hard to find these days but it's a great little RDTA.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Reactions: TrollDragon

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    He got a type R!!! but wants also a Corvette to do donuts on weekends???? :p
    Gotta keep it going huh? ;) The R is my fault, he grew up with all my hotrods and muscle cars. Only one dealer here got one, had a long list of takers that were advised when it was in. He broke the sound barrier and was the first one there to buy it. 6Spd, 306HP, 3100#'s... it's a mover. Not my style, I'm old skool (30's, 40's, 50's to late 60's mostly).
    type r.jpg r type.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Superuser187
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread