The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Russian 91% or kfl+

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by Cob24, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ozwald

Ozwald Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    Don't worry about the first build too much. Do your best & learn what you can from it.

Tips:
    Take your length of wire & flame it (Bic lighter works fine). Just get it to glow. It won't fight you as much.
    With the bit running perpendicular to you, start with the wire on the top, to the left - it makes it a little easier to attach to the screws when you're all done.
    Don't worry about getting the coils pretty on the bit. You can clean them up later.
    Leave the bit in the coil to attach it. If the leads are fighting you, slide the bit out, flame it again, put the bit back it & adjust your leads.
    After you get it screwed down, use the bit to position the coil above the air hole. If one lead is a little longer than the other, you can 'roll' it into place with the bit.
    Check the resistance on your Provari. Fire the coil to check even heating & to pinch it together. Put the bit back in to clean up the coil if you deformed it at all.

Good luck, have fun, don't worry about it too much. If you can twist your knee while throwing a grenade, you can build a coil ;)

2. Cob24

Cob24 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Lol. Forgot you followed both threads oz. For the record I dislocated then reset my knee, then got up threw the grenade and still breached. Not to toot my own horn but I felt like I was in a movie or something. Alright I'm tooting my own horn but I'm pretty proud of that one. Actually now I feel like a )&@$!/ for bragging.

3. Ozwald

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    In that case, you'll probably screw up the coil too. :D :p

4. Cob24

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth oz.

5. Harley0227

Harley0227 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Hahahaha, dang guys....so, anywho, which would be the better buy then? The Russian 91% or the KFL+? Ive heard great things about both, but it seems the price is not very much different from each other. I noticed the R91 comes with a bit more "extras" than the KFL+, and I do like the side air flow control on the R91 over the KFL+ with a bottom air flow control. Im thinking I may order a R91 tomorrow and see how it goes.....

6. Cob24

So I built what looks like a great micro coil I thought. But when I installed it it says op when I try to read ao. What does that mean?

7. Cob24

Never mind. Had to loosen the battery post contact thingy. I'm so scientific.

8. Cob24

Here's a silly question. I built a micro coil. Now how do I get the yarn into it?

Nevermind. I'm a noob. Wife just licked it and put it right through. Wow that sounds bad.

9. bosun

bosun Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Bad for who?

10. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Giggidy......ooooohhhhhh rrrriiiigggghhhhttttt........

11. Cob24

Yeah you got me. I just started a new thread because I managed to derail this one into a help wanted section. Original intent was to just find out which one to buy.

For anyone interested in a Russian I got mine from mtbakervapor and used the ECf discount code. Got it for $89 free shipping.

12. Jazzman

Jazzman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    Chinese clone makers don't need design abilities, just copy abilities (and their copy abilities are hard to beat) :p

13. Ozwald

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    FYI, 'op' on the Provari stands for open circuit. Meaning electricity can't flow between the contact points attached to the battery (the brass pin & the 510 threads). Usually because there's nothing connected or (as you found out) not having the RBA/atomizer/carto screwed in all the way.

14. Bimini Twist

Bimini Twist Twisted Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Redneck Riviera
    For me, that plays a large part in the equation. Since they're so similarly priced... Made in Germany vs. Made in China becomes the question. That is a no-brainer for me.

I do own both, but that's because Kayfuns were scarce when I got in on it. So I joined a pre-order for the R91 while waiting for the KFL to become available. Ended up getting the KFL weeks before the R91. My R91 had slightly crunchy threads on the lower chimney part, but they smoothed out in no time. I've read of a few defective units, but overall, they're among the best quality coming out of China. Still, the Made in Germany KFL and KFL+ that I own reminded me to appreciate German engineering.

Now that there are some cheap cheap clones, I can understand why some folks may take their chances on them. Not me, though.

15. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Well, I guess I know whats on my order list for next months budget....A KFL+. Dang, Im never gonna break even at this rate....

16. DevastationWagon

DevastationWagon Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Weird but since I've had the R91% and the KFL+, I haven't really ordered any more vape gear other than juice lol

I've just been rotating between the two with different builds on different mods. My carto tanks and drippers are lonely and dejected in the vape drawer.

17. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    That acutally makes me feel better....Now to convince my wife hahaha....I guess I need to bring home some flowers and jewelery..

18. Ozwald

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    And a bonus

:D

19. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Well, I do mechanic work on my four days off (I work 4 on 4 off, 12 1/2 hour shifts cause Im the supervisor) for extra cash. Before, the extra was going towards stuff for my Harley, or new toys I wanted(tools), or cigarettes. Now, Im looking here for hours a day, researching different coil builds, sitting at my bar in the dining room making coils and trying this and that, researching my next purchase for Provari's and RTA's and..."ooohhh, I should try this wire, wheres my resistance chart"...and "hmmmm, with my organic cotton, I wonder if I try a little more or less how its gonna affect my vape"....and of course, all my extra "play money" is going towards vaping. My wife isn't really complaining because I dont stink like a cigarette anymore and my health will get better so she can nagg me for years...er...so I can be around for years to come. Im very happy with my new hobby and lifestyle, and a lot of my friends are asking me about it, so Im getting them to try it too!

20. BulletStopper

BulletStopper Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2013
    Kentucky
    That is the same thing that happened to me and why I have both. The clear section screwed onto the Russian slightly easier than the KFL+. The tank also unscrews easier even today.

This too happened. I ended up giving a protank to a frend that just started vaping and my cartos and tanks sit on the shelf.

I do prefer the KFL slightly, but I can really nail down why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.