RY4 Similar to Altsmokes Altliquid RY4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
I find myself always coming back to Altsmokes RY4, it's a nice clear-ish juice that's really grown on me. Has anyone else tried it, and if so, can you recommend something similar? I'm tempted to try the DK RY4 as the price is right, and Altsmoke only offers the RY4 in 15ml bottles. Hoping I can find something similar that is offered in largy quantities. Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
Hmm, I'm not very good at describing juice flavors, especially unique flavors like RY4. It's a very light juice, in both color and flavor, a bit sweet, but no strong tobacco flavors that I can sense, just a real light sweetness. I realize that was a horrible description lol. I was hoping someone else had tried it and can compare it to some of the others.

The thing is, I'm pretty certain it's an imported juice that Altsmoke just sticks a label on, I'd imagine it comes out of China. Makes me wonder if I can find it somewhere else in larger quantities. I'll order some of the DK-RY4 from madvapes and see how it compares, doesn't cost much, so no loss if I don't like it :) In fact, think I'll just buy up a few RY4 samples from different vendors and see if any are similar. The only other one I've tried is My Freedom Smokes RY4, and it is a MUCH darker juice, which tastes nothing like Altsmokes.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Here's some of what we've learned over the past 15 months on http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...views/193327-really-big-ry4-roundup-long.html:

RY4 was the first RY ever. It was created almost on a whim one afternoon in 2007 by one of the owners of Janty (Ludo) and a company flavor chemist in a Chinese juice production facility (presumably Dekang). They decided to whip up a new juice together and started out with a general idea (tobacco, caramel, and vanilla), then tweaked the recipe (meaning the flavoring ingredients and mix ratios) over a couple of hours and multiple versions. When they got a formula and taste they both liked a lot, they named it "RY" (for "Ruyan," which is Chinese slang for "like a cigarette") and added "4" because that was the fourth version Ludo and the chemist made that day (think Chanel #5). Voilà! RY4 was born.

Janty still sells that original 2007 version of RY4 today in their Classic and Elixir lines of juices. The Vataya series RY4 is supposedly slightly different from the original, however.

Dekang subsequently altered the recipe and began selling an RY4 under their own Dekang label that became immensely popular among vapers back in 2008-2009. That "secret" formula was stolen by a disgruntled flavor chemist who was leaving Dekang to form his own juice company. He was later arrested and charged with industrial theft, tried, convicted, and (as of late 2011) was still serving a prison term in China. The now-mythic "lost" Dekang RY4 formula has never been recovered (at least not yet...).

The lower-numbered versions (RY1, RY2, etc.) were reverse-engineered much later by Dekang and other Chinese manufacturers (Hangsen, for instance). The higher-numbered versions (RY5, RY6, etc.) are generally custom formulations made specifically for or by certain individual vendors, either manufactured according to their specifications or produced in-house by a given vendor.

None of the hundreds of RY juices available in the retail marketplace share any particular consistency of flavor profile or ingredient mix, except for the most basic level of flavorings---tobacco, caramel, and vanilla (and sometimes nuts)---but some retail juices carrying the RYsomething label even mess with that. That's why in The Really Big RY4 Roundup thread, we divide RY4s into two classes: Classic RY4s (based generally on the Janty/Dekang flavor profile common to most Chinese versions of RY4) and Custom RY4s (more typical of USA-made RY4s, where pretty much anything goes, and the flavor profiles vary widely and sometimes wildly).

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
^^^Wow^^^

Thanks for all the info! Interesting history on RY4. I'll have to take another peak at the Really Big RY4 Roundup thread, and get some ideas on new ones to try. I just placed a couple of orders from Heathers Heavenly Vapes and Alt Cig to try the RY4 they offer. Will get some of the DK-RY4 ordered from Madvapes and see what it's all about. I appreciate all the info so far!

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I've grown really found of EC blends ry4. You can add extra shots of flavor. And it's pretty cheap also. IMHO

This. I do extra flavor and an extra vanilla and I suck it down like it's the elixir of life.

Gotta let it sit for a week or two to come together, though. I made the mistake of only getting 30ml last time.

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
So an update, I've found HHV's Heavenly Tobacco to be almost identical to the Altsmoke RY4! Same color, same smell, almost the same taste, though I find it JUST a tad better :) Wish it came in larger quantities, as I believe 30ml is the biggest HHV offers. Really loving the juice though, Gandalf is pretty awesome as well ;)

Lbox88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
West Michigan
If it's larger quantities you want...Nothing prevents you from changing the quantity from 1 to 2 or more on your orders, right?

I read this and at the same time looked at your avatar on accident lol.

OP, Mister-E Liquid sells them in a 36mL bottle I believe, if you are just looking to carry around one large bottle of the stuff. They mix their own tho, I have not had to steep it, just open the package and vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread