Same Gauge wire different resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Hello,i have researched this but can't really find an answer. I normally use Temco wire but recently wanted to try 29 ga SS316 L that Temco do not make. I got some from a company called Pure Atomist. Using steam Engine my build should come out to 0.62 ohms. That is 6 wraps of 29 ga 2 mm id coil. For some reason with the Pure atomist wire the build comes in at 0.83 ohms. Very stable but why such a difference and does it matter? I have been building for a long time and always get accurate builds using Temco wire. This happens on several dna devices and rta's.

Do different wire makers produce different resistance on the same gauge wire? Thank you for any help in advance.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello,i have researched this but can't really find an answer. I normally use Temco wire but recently wanted to try 29 ga SS316 L that Temco do not make. I got some from a company called Pure Atomist. Using steam Engine my build should come out to 0.62 ohms. That is 6 wraps of 29 ga 2 mm id coil. For some reason with the Pure atomist wire the build comes in at 0.83 ohms. Very stable but why such a difference and does it matter? I have been building for a long time and always get accurate builds using Temco wire.

Do different wire makers produce different resistance on the same gauge wire? Thank you for any help in advance.

Here is a Properties List for AISI 316L. Notice the Percentage Variations for Chromium, Nickel, and Iron.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=1336be6d0c594b55afb5ca8bf1f3e042&ckck=1

So the 316L you get from one OEM can vary from the 316L you get from another OEM.

And that is All Assuming that what you are Buying even falls into the Alloy Range of what someone would consider to be 316L. Because there Isn't an Metal Police insuring that what a Seller says an Alloy is actually conforms to so Unified Standard.

That, and what Exactly is Steam Engine using to define what it believes 316L should be?

So Yes, there can be Variations in what people sell under the name of "316L".

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Here is a Properties List for AISI 316L. Notice the Percentage Variations for Chromium, Nickel, and Iron.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=1336be6d0c594b55afb5ca8bf1f3e042&ckck=1

So the 316L you get from one OEM can vary from the 316L you get from another OEM.

And that is All Assuming that what you are Buying even falls into the Alloy Range of what someone would consider to be 316L. Because there Isn't an Metal Police insuring that what a Seller says an Alloy is actually conforms to so Unified Standard.

That, and what Exactly is Steam Engine using to define what it believes 316L should be?

So Yes, there can be Variations in what people sell under the name of "316L".
Thank you for that, maybe steam engine uses Temco and that is why i get exact readings using it.

Reactions: zoiDman

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
I think tools like steam-engine are great for approximating resistances and providing an idea of how to build for a target resistance, but at the end of the day, it’s just an approximation. If the estimated value and the tested result value happen to coincide, awesome. But I always expect a little variation. When dealing with variations of subohm resistances measured in the hundredth of an ohm, to get it consistently on the head would be freakish sorcery :D. I use mostly Temco and KP Wire, a little KBee, and just expect variations of up to around a tenth of an ohm between software estimates and tested results.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you for that, maybe steam engine uses Temco and that is why i get exact readings using it.

Could be?

And like entropy1049 said, Steam Engine's coil building page (like All sites) is just a Reference.

BTW - 29ga AWG Wire is listed as .286mm (0.0113") on Steam Engine's site.

Do you have a Way to Accurately Measure the Diameter of your Old Wire and compare it with the Diameter of the New Wire?

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Could be?

And like entropy1049 said, Steam Engine's coil building page (like All sites) is just a Reference.

BTW - 29ga AWG Wire is listed as .286mm (0.0113") on Steam Engine's site.

Do you have a Way to Accurately Measure the Diameter of your Old Wire and compare it with the Diameter of the New Wire?
I do not have a way to measure it. Also i have nothing to measure it against as i only got this wire because Temco do not make this 29 GA SS. I guess that might be the problem though,if all other steam engine settings are from temco what did they use for 29 GA SS? I have tried 30 ga ss,28 ga ss and 26 ga ss from Temco. All my builds with those wires come out practically exact from steam engine.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I do not have a way to measure it. Also i have nothing to measure it against as i only got this wire because Temco do not make this 29 GA SS. I guess that might be the problem though,if all other steam engine settings are from temco what did they use for 29 GA SS? I have tried 30 ga ss,28 ga ss and 26 ga ss from Temco. All my builds with those wires come out practically exact from steam engine.

Gotcha.

I was just Wondering how close the 29ga wire you have was to .286mm/0.0113".

There's just such a Small Difference in Diameter between 28ga and 30ga Wire. And an even Smaller one between 29g and 30ga.

Reactions: Dubminer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is what i thought to say it should be 0.62 0hms.I even remade it and it comes out exactly the same.Keeps stable and vapes great but not what i wanted.Very strange.

BTW - I just went to Steam Engine and set it for a 29ga/2mm ID/3mm leg/.83 Ohms coil.

NiChrome 80 comes out to 6 Wraps.

Maybe you have NiChrome 80 instead of 316L?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It is there in the drop down menu for under gauge.

I didn't see it?

316L.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Now i am confused. Would that work in TC at SS316L setting on a DNA device?

Man... I dunno?

If the Coil was made from All NiChrome 80, then No, it wouldn't work in a TC Mode

But if the NiChrome 29ga Wire was an Outter Wrap Wire like in a Clapton with a SS Core, I'm not sure what effect it would have on TC?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Gets weirder i see 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,36,38,40 when i hit your link.

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"

Something is Definitely Funky in Demark!

LOL

Reactions: Dubminer

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Man... I dunno?

If the Coil was made from All NiChrome 80, then No, it wouldn't work in a TC Mode

But if the NiChrome 29ga Wire was an Outter Wrap Wire like in a Clapton with a SS Core, I'm not sure what effect it would have on TC?
I am just using a simple single wire wrap of it in TC. Would it not kick me out of TC if it was Nichrome 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread