The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Same Gauge wire different resistance?

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by Dubminer, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dubminer

Dubminer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    Hello,i have researched this but can't really find an answer. I normally use Temco wire but recently wanted to try 29 ga SS316 L that Temco do not make. I got some from a company called Pure Atomist. Using steam Engine my build should come out to 0.62 ohms. That is 6 wraps of 29 ga 2 mm id coil. For some reason with the Pure atomist wire the build comes in at 0.83 ohms. Very stable but why such a difference and does it matter? I have been building for a long time and always get accurate builds using Temco wire. This happens on several DNA devices and RTA's.

Do different wire makers produce different resistance on the same gauge wire? Thank you for any help in advance.

2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Here is a Properties List for AISI 316L. Notice the Percentage Variations for Chromium, Nickel, and Iron.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=1336be6d0c594b55afb5ca8bf1f3e042&ckck=1

So the 316L you get from one OEM can vary from the 316L you get from another OEM.

And that is All Assuming that what you are Buying even falls into the Alloy Range of what someone would consider to be 316L. Because there Isn't an Metal Police insuring that what a Seller says an Alloy is actually conforms to so Unified Standard.

That, and what Exactly is Steam Engine using to define what it believes 316L should be?

So Yes, there can be Variations in what people sell under the name of "316L".

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    Thank you for that, maybe steam engine uses Temco and that is why i get exact readings using it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think tools like steam-engine are great for approximating resistances and providing an idea of how to build for a target resistance, but at the end of the day, it’s just an approximation. If the estimated value and the tested result value happen to coincide, awesome. But I always expect a little variation. When dealing with variations of subohm resistances measured in the hundredth of an ohm, to get it consistently on the head would be freakish sorcery :D. I use mostly Temco and KP Wire, a little KBee, and just expect variations of up to around a tenth of an ohm between software estimates and tested results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Could be?

And like entropy1049 said, Steam Engine's coil building page (like All sites) is just a Reference.

BTW - 29ga AWG Wire is listed as .286mm (0.0113") on Steam Engine's site.

Do you have a Way to Accurately Measure the Diameter of your Old Wire and compare it with the Diameter of the New Wire?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    I do not have a way to measure it. Also i have nothing to measure it against as i only got this wire because Temco do not make this 29 GA SS. I guess that might be the problem though,if all other steam engine settings are from temco what did they use for 29 GA SS? I have tried 30 ga ss,28 ga ss and 26 ga ss from Temco. All my builds with those wires come out practically exact from steam engine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Gotcha.

I was just Wondering how close the 29ga wire you have was to .286mm/0.0113".

There's just such a Small Difference in Diameter between 28ga and 30ga Wire. And an even Smaller one between 29g and 30ga.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    If i make the same coil with Temco 28ga ss316 L it comes out to 0.51 ohms..with Temco 30 ga ss 316L it is 0.77 ohms. Pure atomist 29 ga 316l is 0.83 ohms.

9. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    I forgot to add the 29 ga pure atomist is thinner than the 28ga temco and thicker than the 30 ga temco like it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    0.83 Ohms does seem like is Quite a Bit of Difference.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    That is what i thought to say it should be 0.62 0hms.I even remade it and it comes out exactly the same.Keeps stable and vapes great but not what i wanted.Very strange.

12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Where exactly did you get this wire from.

I just went to Pure Atomist and I didn't see any 29ga 316L

Stainless Steel 316L Wire (20-30 AWG) SS 316L - PURE ATOMIST

13. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
  14. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    BTW - I just went to Steam Engine and set it for a 29ga/2mm ID/3mm leg/.83 Ohms coil.

NiChrome 80 comes out to 6 Wraps.

Maybe you have NiChrome 80 instead of 316L?

15. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I didn't see it?

316L.jpg

16. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016

17. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    Gets weirder i see 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,36,38,40 when i hit your link.

18. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Man... I dunno?

If the Coil was made from All NiChrome 80, then No, it wouldn't work in a TC Mode

But if the NiChrome 29ga Wire was an Outter Wrap Wire like in a Clapton with a SS Core, I'm not sure what effect it would have on TC?

19. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"

Something is Definitely Funky in Demark!

LOL

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dubminer

Apr 10, 2016
    I am just using a simple single wire wrap of it in TC. Would it not kick me out of TC if it was Nichrome 80?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.