Scratchy throat from new juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

immotus

Mar 19, 2016
Hello everyone!
i just joined ecf and im not exactly a beginner as I've been vaping since last year but I've just encountered a problem today. so i turned to this forum for help
my set up is a kangertech subox kit with the 0.5 occ coils (i dont have the time and resources to use the rba due to some reasons). i normally vape a 50/50 6mg and a homemade 70/30 0mg with no problems.

however today i just got a hold of Kilo's kiberry 6mg and i cant vape it my throat gets itchy kind of like a stinging feeling and i immediately have to cough it all up when it hits my throat. all is fine when i just inhale into my mouth and keep it there but it cannot touch my throat. could anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it because im really loving the flavour of this juice. im suspecting its dehydration but i dont know if mere dehydration would cause such a reaction.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @immotus. Glad to have you here!:)
  1. What were you using before you tried your Kanger Subox with the 0.5Ω coil?
  2. What wattage or voltage are you using?
  3. Did you prime the coils before you started vaping?
If this is your first try at using subΩ coils, most people have to cut their nicotine concentrations in half due to the amount of vapor. More vapor = more nicotine per puff.

Priming a Coil

All cotton coils have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the burned taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops of juice right inside the coil (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head), another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Rule of Thumb

The rule of thumb for EVERY vape device you'll ever own is the same (when running in power or wattage/voltage mode). Turn your voltage/wattage down, take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment

Reactions: Aeryn

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
dehydration from vaping is a myth.... no one has proven vaping causes dehydration...

VG/PG can only absorb 40% of its volume in moisture ( on a good day) so if you vape 5 ml in a day you will loose about 2 ml of "moisture" ( water).... thats not even a teaspoon of water....
I will agree vaping may make your mouth "feel" dry.... but its not dehydrating you to the extent to require drinking all the fluid everyone has been saying to drink....

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Probably something with the flavoring just doesn't agree with you. If you can vape the others still it has to be the juice.

You said it tastes good so I'm ruling coil problems and dry hits out. Your used to a decent amount of pg so it's probably not that. Im guessing a flavoring component burns your throat. Unless it just started and it's the coil.

I can't vape more than 10%pg or I get dried out too much, but that just me. I think if the nic was high to burn your throat like that, you would get really buzzed off mouth hits.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Is this your first Berry flavor? I've noticed that my "Berry Bomb" flavor has a real 'bite' to it as do some real berries. I do feel it in the throat but not to the point of irritation.

Whatever is in the juice to create that Berry-ish 'bite' combined with 6mg nic vaping on a sub ohm rig just may be too much for you?

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
With out knowing the ratio on your juice VG/PG, we can just speculate here. So with that being said most of your harshness may be due to a high volume of PG in your juice. You may have an allergic reaction to the PG that is in your juice. I know I did when first starting out. Also there may be dikatones in your liquid that can cause that feeling. So when we get more info on brand of juice and VG/PG ratio we can better serve your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread