Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I remember my first vaping device (after a Blu and some disposable nJoys) was a generic ego battery and a clearomizer. It was quite an improvement over both the Blu and the throwaways. Then came my Innokin Itaste box mod with Kanger Protanks and Mini Protanks - another evolution and a game-changer for me.

Fast forward through MANY VV and VW mods, single, dual and even triple battery, some with built-in batteries, and temp control, a bunch of mech tubes, some IBTanked tanks, a few gennys, Lemos, Kayfuns, and a bunch of RTAs and sub-ohm tanks, and then onto my sweet spot: squonking and occasional dripping.

And now, the latest craze seems to be pod mods - and "pen" mods, which look to me like updated egos and clearos.

Everything old is new again. Just take a look at the Vandy Vape NS Pen. And you know what?...after my journey (and the expense of literally thousands of dollars) the simplicity and pricing looks appealing to me.

Last edited:

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I went the same exact route in my vaping life. In fact, I quit smoking using an ego mega t. Through a wide array of tubes, mechs and regulated mods, numerous atties and tanks, I've landed on regulated squonking. And I don't chase new stuff anymore. I use what I have until it dies and I'll replace it. I've got 5 Kanger dripbox 160s, which aren't made anymore , a couple of Geekvape 200w squonkers, and a 200w made by Catfish. I'm done spending small fortunes on equipment, make my own juice and I'm happy with keeping expenses way down. Although I've got other hobbies that more than make up for it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
After using variable voltage/wattage setups, I can't imagine ever going back to a fixed output device. I like being able to change my vaping experience as my mood dictates through out the day.

But no single type of setup fits the individual desires of all vapers in our community; otherwise there would only be one kind of vaping device. We are all different in what we like. And our preferences can and do change over time.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Yep, very similar for me. This is actual my first time back on this forum in YEARS, so this thread is fitting, lol. I got my first device with my girlfriend at the time back in 2009 I believe. We ordered two of those models that look just a cigarette, except they were black, and the cherry at the end would light up. I still actually remember the flavor of one of those replaceable ends.....it was actually really good. The rest, not so good.
Once we ran out of replacement things, we went back to cigarettes. I didn't pick up vaping again until 2013. This time, however, I would never go back to cigarettes. I started off with an ego-twist, and an evod and kanger protank top. I still remember those devices like it was yesterday, along with the 18mg nic juices, lol.

Anyway, I too went through a myriad of devices. I was never chasing power as I saw many chase...the higher wattages and more clouds. I was chasing flavor...that was what I wanted.

I remember the big break through for me cames years later when I got the smoktech beast or whatever. Since then, Ive only "upgraded" my actual variable wattage device when one breaks , which happens once every two years or so it seems. And I've only upgraded my delivery devices once. I now use the Uwell Crown 3, which is fantastic, and the Freemax Mesh , which is just as great. These two devices together are perfect for me, and I'm quite happy where I'm at.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I went the same exact route in my vaping life. In fact, I quit smoking using an ego mega t. Through a wide array of tubes, mechs and regulated mods, numerous atties and tanks, I've landed on regulated squonking. And I don't chase new stuff anymore. I use what I have until it dies and I'll replace it. I've got 5 Kanger dripbox 160s, which aren't made anymore , a couple of Geekvape 200w squonkers, and a 200w made by Catfish. I'm done spending small fortunes on equipment, make my own juice and I'm happy with keeping expenses way down. Although I've got other hobbies that more than make up for it.

That's pretty much me - to a T. My squonkers are mainly REOs, and a couple of Pulse 80s, but still prefer the simplicity of the REO. I make my own juice, though there are a couple of high-nic salt-based juices I like, and a bottle lasts a LOOONG time in a pod mod, which has attracted my attention lately.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
After using variable voltage/wattage setups, I can't imagine ever going back to a fixed output device. I like being able to change my vaping experience as my mood dictates through out the day.

But no single type of setup fits the individual desires of all vapers in our community; otherwise there would only be one kind of vaping device. We are all different in what we like. And our preferences can and do change over time.

I totally agree with different strokes for different folks. There will always be all types of vapers. Some will squonk, others will drip, and there are those that will use tanks, or pods - or whatever their individual choice may be to suit their needs.

I just find it funny that we are back where we started with a lot of the newest product currently being offered.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
That's pretty much me - to a T. My squonkers are mainly REOs, and a couple of Pulse 80s, but still prefer the simplicity of the REO. I make my own juice, though there are a couple of high-nic salt-based juices I like, and a bottle lasts a LOOONG time in a pod mod, which has attracted my attention lately.
I have 4 REOs, but my mechanicals just ceased to give me what I was looking for. My favorites are some 24mm atties that give me the flavor and air just the way I want it as I am strictly a DL guy. I don't know much of anything about the new pod systems, but I think, for me, they'd be severely anemic. I do like the low juice usage they seem to use.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
What it actually proves is that the public will buy any old crap as long as the sales pitch is convincing enough.

If inferior products were 100% effective then users wouldn't need to progress to something better.

I'm not going to go out and buy a juul or anything of the kind !.

What actually works for most people are rebuildables !.

Those who simply cannot be bothered with all that go out and buy all the crap the industry is producing right now. Then they turn up on a forum like this and complain that their drop in coils are crap.

Or is that just a figment of my imagination ?, i'm sure i regularly read threads such as those.

So why are these pod devices so popular ?. it's because most people are just plain lazy.

I'm pretty sure the industry benefits from the laziness of these folks.

You'd think if a smoker was determined enough to quit smoking by vaping they'd put some effort into it.

Obviously not !.

If a little effort is what it takes, which it is, then that's what i'll do.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What actually works for most people are rebuildables !.

Those who simply cannot be bothered with all that go out and buy all the crap the industry is producing right now. Then they turn up on a forum like this and complain that their drop in coils are crap.

Or is that just a figment of my imagination ?, i'm sure i regularly read threads such as those.

So why are these pod devices so popular ?. it's because most people are just plain lazy.

I'm pretty sure the industry benefits from the laziness of these folks.

You'd think if a smoker was determined enough to quit smoking by vaping they'd put some effort into it.

Obviously not !.

If a little effort is what it takes, which it is, then that's what i'll do.
:lol: Ahhh, come on. Tell us how you really feel.

Yeah, I'm lazy. I built my own wicks and coils for years. I eventually grew tired of having to rewick my coils every 2 - 3 days to get decent flavor. Besides, my eyesight's not so good anymore and I have a tremor in one of my thumbs, which makes wicking not so easy.

Did my research and got the original Uwell Crown clearomizer. Vapes as well as my RDA's. I've been using them ever since. Prime the coil good and fill up the tank, and I'm good for at least 3 - 4 weeks. No need to rewick, just add e-liquid once or twice a day. Perfect for the lazy vaper.

Got a Cerberus tank with my new Geekvape Aegis Mini kit, and its a pretty darn good tank, too.

Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Lets face it. Our online vaping community isn't made up of vapers using pods or pen style vaping gear.

There are no long term members here who are still exclusively using beginner nor intermediate vaping gear.

Successful longterm vapers use rebuildable vaping gear.
I have to disagree. You must not read many of the threads on ECF. Vapers who rebuild are in the minority. If you don't believe that, why not start a new thread in the poll section. I think you will be surprised by the results.

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I have to disagree. You must not read many of the threads on ECF. Vapers who rebuild are of the minority. If you don't believe that, why not start a new thread in the poll section. I think you will be surprised by the results.

If i'm wrong then i'm wrong. I'm probably just reflecting my own vaping preferences.

Just seems to me that most members i'm familiar with use rebuildable stuff.

So yes, i don't read enough threads.

Though i am talking about long term members.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
As the vaping market shifted to mechs and RDA's, then subohm VW, followed by TC multi battery setups, my favorite items all ended up on clearance at ridiculously low prices. I'm thankful vaping trends went all over the place as I could stock up on my "obsolete junk" while others chased aquarium filters, staples and nickel.

All these newer styles have merit and I enjoy the occasional fling with subohm at home, but my supply of drop-in heads and toppers for lower wattage MTL may outlive me. My discretionary dollars go to other hobbies nowadays - I picked up a couple of Belgian bicycles this week for what a Geekvape Aegis sells for.:)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I rebuild primarily due to cost. Wick costs me $0.02/week where as a pre-built coil costs $3-$5/week depending on brand/style and longevity. I also spend about $.06/quarter on wire. So I'd rather spend $1.28/year instead of up to $260/year. This is just my personal preference though. Then again I can still re-wick in just about 2 min maybe 3 min with a good rinsing and completely recoil in about 7 min (maybe less). If I get to the point rewicking/rebuilding is difficult, I may have to reevaluate at that point.

The other important reason I prefer rewicking/rebuildables is because it will be MUCH harder for the FDA to stop me from vaping when I already have the wire and wicking to last for YEARS. Plus the materials should still be available. If they ban pre-built coils, people that can't rebuild and can no longer buy rebiuldables will be screwed.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Lets face it. Our online vaping community isn't made up of vapers using pods or pen style vaping gear.

There are no long term members here who are still exclusively using beginner nor intermediate vaping gear.

Successful longterm vapers use rebuildable vaping gear.
I agree with this post more than your first. But there may be cause & effect issues. Many (not all, course) of those here aren't necessarily successful because they're rebuilding, but maybe because they're dedicated enough to stay off of cigs that they're willing to do rebuilding, and all the trial and error it took to get to that point.

And originally, the only point in vaping was to replicate smoking - this is no longer true. Through ingenuity and innovation, so many now do flavors, dtl, and their vaping style now only resembles smoking in that they're inhaling, and exhaling something that looks like smoke. I see some veterans here returning to mtl, and even going to pods again for convenience, but most probably won't do it full time.

And I'm pretty sure it's not fair to characterize those who won't build as lazy. It's simply a choice for many people. Yeah, plenty of people buy junk and look for fixes here, but the answer to all of them isn't to build. Some people want to simply buy something as small as a Juul, and have the convenience of buying replacement pods to drop in there. Sure, some of it is garbage, and most by design aren't as robust as a mod & rebuildable atty. And yes, a lot of them know what they're getting into when they buy these products.

You might as well get used to it - as vaping gets more attention, and becomes more known as a cessation method (and the attention Juul is getting for its success), there'll be even more "me too" products trying to capitalize soon. And much, but not all of it will be junk, of course.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think the nic-salts were a revolution in nicotine delivery (much smoother at higher concentrations) and allowed for small devices to "come back". The pod thing is another money-grabber that made it attractive for companies to make the devices rather than just having NS juice in "old/normal" devices. Plus, this industry is very trend driven and "new thing" oriented.

:2c:

As far as coils, I'm buying them too. ;)

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Another forum I'm on, unrelated to vaping, has a "Classic and Vintage" subforum where members with that interest share tips and tricks and sometimes parts. It's a friendly community without anybody judging each others choices. We seem to be evolving as a community toward that same end. The only difference here is that "vintage" may be from three or four years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread