Semovar and Provari would apparently share the same failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The REO would be interesting. Does a Reo perform as well as a kayfun?
Depends what kind of atty you put on top, and how good your squonking technique is. With the right build in the right atty, it has the potential to outperform a kayfun. But being unregulated, its performance will vary a bit with the battery's state-of-charge.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Depends what kind of atty you put on top, and how good your squonking technique is. With the right build in the right atty, it has the potential to outperform a kayfun. But being unregulated, its performance will vary a bit with the battery's state-of-charge.

I thought the atty was incorporated into the device. I mean isn't it a device with a built in RDA and the "squonker" is just a cool alternative to dripping? Are there certain attys that are designed with a reo in mind?

And you are right...since it is unregulated, then my experience will vary on battery state of charge. One of the reasons I went regulated is so that I don't have to depend on state of charge.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I was referring to the Lamborghini of vaporizers- the Lambo. It is clearly better than a ProVari...

sarcasm.jpg

Fixed that for you.....:D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I thought the atty was incorporated into the device. I mean isn't it a device with a built in RDA and the "squonker" is just a cool alternative to dripping? Are there certain attys that are designed with a reo in mind?
The REOs (like other bottom-feeding mods) have the juice reservoir Incorporated in them, but not the atty. You can use them with bottom-fed RDAs or cartos. Yes, they are a much more convenient alternative to dripping.

And you are right...since it is unregulated, then my experience will vary on battery state of charge. One of the reasons I went regulated is so that I don't have to depend on state of charge.
Life is full of tradeoffs. I wouldn't run a Kayfun on an unregulated mod because there are too many good regulated ones to choose from these days. Unfortunately, there are almost no well-regulated bottom feeding mods, and in some ways, the benefits are worth it. I'm really surprised how much I find myself using the OliverR I got recently.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I like my Semovar's and I like my Provari's. If they had more than one button, I wouldn't want them. After they are set up to my liking, It is a rare ocasion that I ever change the settings.

Kayfuns on the Semovars in Hybrid mode and Taifuns on the Provari's.....pretty hard to beat for an all around good and convenient pocketable vape.

Two cents and all........

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I don't have time to read through ECF much anymore...or this entire thread. But I did see your previous post about the ProVari and something about why or what made you buy one...and the craziness it created. Somewhat entertaining. I really wanted to answer that post but the thread was shut down. I'll answer it here for your amusement. I wasn't influenced at all in my ProVari purchase since I was on the pre-order way the hell back in November 2010. I received my Provari December 2010. It's still in use TODAY. It's used all day - every day. If it had an odometer it would have half a billion miles on it. It's been dropped countless times. I even used it as a hammer to get a stuck window motor on my Buick working. It is the only device I use (and I work for another manufacturer of fine vaping devices). It's not pretty anymore. It looks like it's been to war. It still works like new.
Short answer: It's reliable. It works. It has never failed.
If you think one-button setup is confounding then I don't know what else to tell ya. It's literally a few button presses to make adjustments and it allows it to be pocket-able without much worry of settings being changed unintentionally.
If you want something durable and reliable...this is my recommendation. If you want something fancy, pretty, full of eye candy and gimmicks I couldn't tell ya. I don't care about any of that. The cigarettes I used to smoke had none of that and I just burned those up anyway. I didn't even care what the pack looked like (some just came in a Ziploc bag from the reservation!) And I loved cigarettes.

Heh. You misunderstand me. I'm not looking for "bling". I actually prefer simple lines most of the time. I like looks of the Wizard Evolved, which imho has a more understated appearance than the provari.

I simply do not want to have the learning curve. For the price range these devices come to, it's not unreasonable to expect an elegant UI. i'd even be cool with the idea of presets for volatage.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I own three DNA mods, and I have a fourth on order. I've had no such issues. I don't put my batteries in backwards, and I'm not the the habit of dropping my mods on bowls full of water. But just in case, I got in on one of the DNA coops and will simply have keep a few DNA boards in stock as spare parts. Can you stock a Provari board so you can fix that Provari yourself if it does break?

No and why would I ever want to? Im a doctor not a damn mechanic Jim.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No and why would I ever want to? Im a doctor not a damn mechanic Jim.
Because you don't want down-time when it does break? Because you want to be self-sufficient? Because you're planning for the contingency that some day in the foreseeable future, Leviathan will put companies making vape gear like Provape and Evolv out of business and you won't be able to get your Provari or DNA mod fixed no matter how long you're willing to wait unless you have spare parts?

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Because you don't want down-time when it does break? Because you want to be self-sufficient? Because you're planning for the contingency that some day in the foreseeable future, Leviathan will put companies making vape gear like Provape and Evolv out of business and you won't be able to get your Provari or DNA mod fixed no matter how long you're willing to wait unless you have spare parts?
Ha. You still on that "this will put ProVape out of business" kick? The only thing that would put ProVape out of business would be extreme FDA regulation.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
While I appreciate the multi-button operation that I have on my MVP, I also can appreciate that every button, dial, or other movable part, it is a part that is another point of failure for the device.

The ProVari or SemoVar have one such point of failure. Other devices have more.

As far as one button UI's I find the ProVari and Semovar to be the most intuitive.

Since I don't adjust my devices much, then I really don't find it a big issue. And with a electronic reed switch rated for 5,000,000 presses, then 500 presses a day still gives me 27.39 years of use.

As a Semo user i can't really be honest and say the menus are intuitive, workable yes and some of us are ok with quirky systems and learn fast.

Reed switch in a Semo or ProVari? I think at best (unless you can get military grade switches) the tactile switches are rated at 1 Million MTBF and alot of the Chinese ones are < 100 000 or in the case of some SVDs a few thousand seen a few whos switches had collapsed.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
So, I'm finally saving enough money buying juice in bulk to consider buying that "end all be all mod".

I ruled out the provari, because it's just become so passe as a means of stating one is a commited vaper. Besides, I hate macs, and like the mac mouse (and iphones, too), it only has one freaking button.

So, I looked to the Semovar. It looks decent. Apparently well made and regarded. It's not ubiquitous. Just "one" problem. That sob has only one button, too!

Is there a solid and awesome mod out there with more than one flippin button that isn't a box mod? I'm not thrilled with boxes, otherwise I'd be all over a reo or hanna.

Now some of you are probably wondering why that one button is such a sticking point for me. If I'm going to drop somewhere around $200+ for something, I expect it to not take over 10x as long to adjust the same number of settings as a much less expensive device. I expect the convenience of not having to hit a single button about 200 times (in a coded fashion, with a manual in my lap) to get it to the point I'm using to start and then hit that same button about 50 more times to get it where I like it.

Are quality buttons so expensive and hard to find, that it's just too difficult to place two more buttons on it? Will two more buttons weaken its design to that much greater of a degree, that it would generate a ton of waranty returns?

If these manufacturers don't want to do it, fine. Who out there makes an awesome tube style multi button mod that I could hammer nails with (and not break), has vv and/or vw, has a kick .... warranty and customer svc?

Custom coated with the same material they use for wepons, titanium case. User replaceable 510 (as this is always going to be a single point of failure) Single or twin 18650 30A/35A batteries, waterproof anti vandal trigger switch, 35W, 0.3ohm coil resistance floor, 12.5A, Gravity switch and IP67 rated.

Sounds like it would fit the bill

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
So, I'm finally saving enough money buying juice in bulk to consider buying that "end all be all mod".

I ruled out the provari, because it's just become so passe as a means of stating one is a commited vaper. Besides, I hate macs, and like the mac mouse (and iphones, too), it only has one freaking button.

So, I looked to the Semovar. It looks decent. Apparently well made and regarded. It's not ubiquitous. Just "one" problem. That sob has only one button, too!

Is there a solid and awesome mod out there with more than one flippin button that isn't a box mod? I'm not thrilled with boxes, otherwise I'd be all over a reo or hanna.

Now some of you are probably wondering why that one button is such a sticking point for me. If I'm going to drop somewhere around $200+ for something, I expect it to not take over 10x as long to adjust the same number of settings as a much less expensive device. I expect the convenience of not having to hit a single button about 200 times (in a coded fashion, with a manual in my lap) to get it to the point I'm using to start and then hit that same button about 50 more times to get it where I like it.

Are quality buttons so expensive and hard to find, that it's just too difficult to place two more buttons on it? Will two more buttons weaken its design to that much greater of a degree, that it would generate a ton of warranty returns?

If these manufacturers don't want to do it, fine. Who out there makes an awesome tube style multi button mod that I could hammer nails with (and not break), has vv and/or vw, has a kick .... warranty and customer svc?

The Sigelei 20W is, by all accounts (including mine), a very excellent device (a very smooth, robust vape) but only has one button That said, any changes you would make are done via gyroscope rather than navigating multiple menus with a single button. You use the button to get in the settings and navigate them, but you tilt the device to change them. It's very fast and very intuitive.

Here is a video showing exactly how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread