Semovar and Provari would apparently share the same failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoberSnyper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2012
Maurice, La.
First, those that buy extra chips are not necessarily expecting failure... Preparation doesn't mean you expect something bad to happen. It means you do not want to be caught unaware, should something bad occur. Some of us do not have an issue changing out a small circuit board. Rewiring an electronics test set that has a thousand white wires in it with tiny numbers to differentiate which wire it is (as opposed to color coding) can be a bit daunting. Swapping out a drop in chip is really pretty simple. Some people do not want to be out their mod for weeks/months waiting for a factory repair.

I have a Sig Sauer handgun, which is a really well made firearm. I have some spare parts (the ones more likely to wear out through use) for it, that have been sitting in a box for close to 20 years now. Considering the thousands of rounds I've put through it, I'm very pleased that I have not needed those parts, and it is a testament to its quality. It's not that I anticipate a failure, but I really do not want to not have the parts on hand to fix it, should I need them.

The sigelei 20W does look pretty cool. Too bad it has that same single button design. Were it to be multi-button, I'd probably be buying it.

The Single button is only used for firing the atty and getting into the menu. Once you are in menu you have to tilt the PV to adjust your power settings.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I forgot to follow up on the Futura... I couldn't get the page to load on my phone. How does it look? I'm also interested in the price.

As for earlier praise on the build quality and the half million clicks the button is rated for on the provari from various posters... Awesome, now put two more of those half million click buttons on there, give it a more intuitive ui, and I will be all over that version. If it is that popular of a device, then hopefully they can do a little r&d for deeper market penetration. Great that it lasts forever. For that price, it should. It should also not require spending a ton of time with an owner's manual to figure out how to use it. I expect there to be at least as elegant a ui as a device 1/3 the price.
Not aimed specifically at you, as you got your info from someone else and are not interested in the ProVari anyways, but the button is not rated for half a million clicks. It's rated for a minimum of 5 million clicks.
What makes you think they are targeted specifically at ProVape and the ProVari?
I know this question was directed at P.Opus, but can you name any other mod and atty that has more accessories? For the ProVari, there are rings, tubes, end caps, stands, built-in stands and carrying cases, even ProVari themed drip tips, all made by a variety of vendors. For the Kayfun/Russian 91%, there are colored windows, M tanks, extension kits, nano kits, custom tops, hybrid kits, and clear body kits, also made by a variety of vendors. It really is like they were made for each other.
;)

...and yes, I know the Kayfun was originally made to go with the Semovar, not the ProVari, though I imagine there are more Kayfuns on ProVari's and Nemesis's than will ever end up on Semovars.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
First, those that buy extra chips are not necessarily expecting failure... Preparation doesn't mean you expect something bad to happen. It means you do not want to be caught unaware, should something bad occur. Some of us do not have an issue changing out a small circuit board. Rewiring an electronics test set that has a thousand white wires in it with tiny numbers to differentiate which wire it is (as opposed to color coding) can be a bit daunting. Swapping out a drop in chip is really pretty simple. Some people do not want to be out their mod for weeks/months waiting for a factory repair.

I have a Sig Sauer handgun, which is a really well made firearm. I have some spare parts (the ones more likely to wear out through use) for it, that have been sitting in a box for close to 20 years now. Considering the thousands of rounds I've put through it, I'm very pleased that I have not needed those parts, and it is a testament to its quality. It's not that I anticipate a failure, but I really do not want to not have the parts on hand to fix it, should I need them.

The Sigelei 20W does look pretty cool. Too bad it has that same single button design. Were it to be multi-button, I'd probably be buying it.

Perhaps I misspoke myself. I understand that some people don't have an issue changing out a circuit board if it should fail. But that should not be the only option people have to repair their device in a timely manner. The point I was trying to make is that there really is no company currently like ProVape out there. That is a company that is basically mass producing a product and has the infrastructure available to not only complete orders within a week, but also perform timely post sales service.

Although I love my ProVari, it would be good for another serious competitor to ProVape to appear. That is another company that makes mid-level devices that are built with high quality components with a reasonable warranty and post sales support.

The Chinese companies do not really provide any meaningful post sales support, they rely on the "vendor" to provide the support.

Zen, Hana Modz, Protovapor are all relatively small companies, they are barely able to keep up with current demand let alone deal with possible post sale failures.

When Innokin releases their DNA based device, it will be interesting to see it as it will most likely drive all current DNA devices down in price, but again, there will be no post sales support. I could easily see a DNA based MVP3. Very little would need to be changed in the design.

CanIPlayWithMadness

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
Hollister,Ca.USA

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
That Lambo looks similar to the Provari but is much cheaper. Is it meant to be a type of clone? Also, how does it compare to the Provari itself?

"NOTE: DUE TO LIMITED QUANTITY NO WARRANTY WILL BE OFFERED ON THIS DEVICE."

That's all I need to know.....

No Thanks.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
I know this question was directed at P.Opus, but can you name any other mod and atty that has more accessories? For the ProVari, there are rings, tubes, end caps, stands, built-in stands and carrying cases, even ProVari themed drip tips, all made by a variety of vendors. For the Kayfun/Russian 91%, there are colored windows, M tanks, extension kits, nano kits, custom tops, hybrid kits, and clear body kits, also made by a variety of vendors.
They are both very popular, but I'm failing to see any correlation between both having a lot of accessories and P.Opus' statement, and I've yet to see anything that backs that statement up. Personally, I think it's ludicrous at best. But that's just me. ;)

...and yes, I know the Kayfun was originally made to go with the Semovar, not the ProVari, though I imagine there are more Kayfuns on ProVari's and Nemesis's than will ever end up on Semovars.
I'm sure you are right, but P.Opus was talking about Chinese manufactured products.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
:blink:

6V, 20W, $42... and the warranty is what kills it for you? really? come on, p.

I know it sounds silly based on my love of MVP's but let me explain.

If I am going to buy a tube mod, I want something that will last as long as the batteries I put in it. Even Innokin products have a 30 day warranty. A warranty, is a representation of the companies "trust" they have in the quality of their own product.

A device that has no warranty does not have the trust of the builders of that product. And then to make some lame excuse that it's due to the limited quantity of the item? Sorry.

I'm not thrilled by the warranty on the MVP either. But I'm willing to take the chance on the MVP for several reasons.
1. They have garnered good reviews by my peers. (Something this product has not yet done)
2. The form factor is perfect for travelling (all in one design, low cost, long battery life, high performance).
3. Innokin has a reputation for quality products, The makers of the Lambo do not.

I'm putting something inches away from my face hundreds of times a day. I am counting on the devices regulation circuitry to keep me from shorting out the battery and turning it into a pipe bomb. And I'm expected to do so with a company that can't even warranty the product for a month?

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I don't have time to read through ECF much anymore...or this entire thread. But I did see your previous post about the ProVari and something about why or what made you buy one...and the craziness it created. Somewhat entertaining. I really wanted to answer that post but the thread was shut down. I'll answer it here for your amusement. I wasn't influenced at all in my ProVari purchase since I was on the pre-order way the hell back in November 2010. I received my Provari December 2010. It's still in use TODAY. It's used all day - every day. If it had an odometer it would have half a billion miles on it. It's been dropped countless times. I even used it as a hammer to get a stuck window motor on my Buick working. It is the only device I use (and I work for another manufacturer of fine vaping devices). It's not pretty anymore. It looks like it's been to war. It still works like new.
Short answer: It's reliable. It works. It has never failed.
If you think one-button setup is confounding then I don't know what else to tell ya. It's literally a few button presses to make adjustments and it allows it to be pocket-able without much worry of settings being changed unintentionally.
If you want something durable and reliable...this is my recommendation. If you want something fancy, pretty, full of eye candy and gimmicks I couldn't tell ya. I don't care about any of that. The cigarettes I used to smoke had none of that and I just burned those up anyway. I didn't even care what the pack looked like (some just came in a Ziploc bag from the reservation!) And I loved cigarettes.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Be careful, you might be labeled an "elitist snob" :D

Only in the vaping community does it appear that simply wanting a device that gives years of reliable and consistent service makes one an elitist.

Much better to continually buy the "next big thing" or throw away devices after 6 to 9 months of use.

I've found the ProVari and I've found the Kayfun. Both high quality and reliable pieces of vaping gear. They represent the end of my vaping journey. For some people I suppose, the joy is in the journey and for others it's the destination.

For me, it's the latter.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I know it sounds silly based on my love of MVP's but let me explain.

If I am going to buy a tube mod, I want something that will last as long as the batteries I put in it. Even Innokin products have a 30 day warranty. A warranty, is a representation of the companies "trust" they have in the quality of their own product.

A device that has no warranty does not have the trust of the builders of that product. And then to make some lame excuse that it's due to the limited quantity of the item? Sorry.

I'm not thrilled by the warranty on the MVP either. But I'm willing to take the chance on the MVP for several reasons.
1. They have garnered good reviews by my peers. (Something this product has not yet done)
2. The form factor is perfect for travelling (all in one design, low cost, long battery life, high performance).
3. Innokin has a reputation for quality products, The makers of the Lambo do not.

I'm putting something inches away from my face hundreds of times a day. I am counting on the devices regulation circuitry to keep me from shorting out the battery and turning it into a pipe bomb. And I'm expected to do so with a company that can't even warranty the product for a month?

and the E-lvt?

with it's waterproof claim, that could have easily been a pipe bomb in the making.
it's price point was well above that $40.
you through it down the drain indiscreetly. :p
it was not peer reviewed.
it was new on the market with no history.
the company had no reputation.
when you ruined it due to it's claim of being waterproof, which it obviously was not, did you get a replacement? did the company back its product?

i guess i'm asking... so the prothingy completely changed how you think about vaping and nearly all of your expectations and priorities single handedly? now nothing else is good enough?

you're going to be hell to deal with once you get ahold of a Reo, methinks. :lol:

Hi. I received my Provari starter kit direct from Provape recently. I'm very happy with it. I chose the polished one, with blue LED. While I really like the finish, I almost wish I had got the standard stainless one to cover with those skins they have. the polished one is too nice to cover. I chose Provari because of the user reviews. The price wasn't really an issue: smokes here are around $100 for each carton!

Oh. OK. So here's the only question. What color to choose from? There's like 11 different colors.

So which have you all chose?

I do LOVE zombies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
and the E-lvt?

with it's waterproof claim, that could have easily been a pipe bomb in the making.
it's price point was well above that $40.
you through it down the drain indiscreetly. :p
it was not peer reviewed.
it was new on the market with no history.
the company had no reputation.
when you ruined it due to it's claim of being waterproof, which it obviously was not, did you get a replacement? did the company back its product?

i guess i'm asking... so the prothingy completely changed how you think about vaping and nearly all of your expectations and priorities single handedly? now nothing else is good enough?

you're going to be hell to deal with once you get ahold of a Reo, methinks. :lol:

Absolutely everything you said was true. The experience I had with the E-lvt definitely pushed me towards a ProVari and soured my experience with other mods, especially the "next new thing".

I got a VV3, based on customer feedback and reviews here and I liked it. The battery life was too short for my use pattern.
I upgraded to an MVP 2 based on customer feedback and reviews here and I love it. But I am acutely aware that it's built in battery will eventually fail. My desire to find an MVP2 with removable battery pushed me to the E-LVT.

I punished it for my review. I really wanted to love it. Since I submerged it which was beyond it's IPX-1 rating, I could not get it returned.

It was during this review when I was taking it apart and noticing the short cuts that the manufacturer took in constructing the unit that I started changing my mind. A splash proof mod with people pouring water on it and sending it through a car wash, that had NO gasket on the battery door, Had no sealant around the flashlight LED, did not have any sealant around the 510 connector. That had the LCD button plate simply secured in place with double sided tape.

I paid 90 bucks for crap shoved inside in an indestructable body.

Here I saw a device that didn't come close to the build quality of an MVP2 for twice the price.

2 weeks later I went to a vape meet in Tampa and almost bought my third MVP2. But before I went back to the table where the MVP's were on sale I picked up a ProVari and vaped it. I spent almost 30 minutes inquiring the vendor about it, feeling the weight of it in my hands, admiring the build quality. I asked questions, tasted how the unit consistently delivered it's vape, not misfire 10% of the time like my Zmax.

I walked out of that vape meet not with a new MVP2 but with a new ProVari.

Yes, my poor experience with a brand new product with flashy promises and you tube videos did make me rethink how I purchase items from now on.

The REO would be interesting. Does a Reo perform as well as a Kayfun?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread