Semovar and Provari would apparently share the same failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The Ecig market and especially the mod manufacturers have brilliantly suckered countless ex analog users into a never ending process , new devices will continue to be released and (just my opinion) most it seems love to look good and will always spend on these devices when just a few years ago many of us just wanted to quit because of our health.

I certainly can't speak for anyone else but for me personally , I do not want to be reliant on Nicotine for the rest of my life , this is why I will not pursue the latest and greatest , it's just a never ending process .

Give me something that works and something that currently satisfies my needs, don't care how pretty it is , don't give a damn what others think either , I'm trying to beat Nicotine not win a look at me , check out my collection contest , again just my opinion.

A control head that fits on a mech.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Isn't the Futura multi buttoned?

Sent from my LG G2, using Smack-a-talk HD.
Yes, same configuration as the Vamo, I believe.
Actually the Futura has a flush mount rocker-style switch below the fire button.

Futura back.jpg Futura front.jpg

The Futura no longer has the roundish style bottom cap as an option. It looked nice, but I don't think it was too popular from a stability point of view.

I looked at the ZNA. The box/tube hybrid is intriguing, but a bit too bulky. Once we enter this sort of pricepoint, I start being more picky. If it were half the price, and could be had for less pursuit... I might settle with it. I'm thinking the wiz evolved might be what fits the ticket for me.
After all of my research, the Wizard Evolved was my second choice.

I do like my Hana, it always has an RDA on it. It goes everywhere with me. Remembering all the menu settings with the three buttons on it took the same amount of time as my Provari with it's one button. 1/2 a day.
Isn't the Hana a DNA 30? The DNA 30 doesn't have menu settings. If you're talking about modes such as Locked, Stealth, etc, you should be able to learn those in a minute or two.

It sounds like the OP is looking for a Swiss Army knife vaping device. I am sure there is a Chinese something out or fixing to come out that will meet your expectations.
The Futura seems to fill the bill quite nicely, at least for me. It's made in the USA.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
Why not hang in there until your perfect end all mod is created? Save up for it while you're waiting. In the mean time, if you're itching to buy something new, look at getting something cheaper, that's reliable.

How about a Sigelei 20W or Zmax V5? Both only have one button though.

I could get the svd in the meantime... But, I was thinking about holding off for something better. The problem is, none of the premium mods seem to meet my criteria and happen to be avail for purchase. I am beginning to think there is something to the supposition that lack of availability makes people more prone to make the impulse buy when they are there to buy, and is intentional.

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
Even mods with multiple buttons require some kind of ritual to get them to do anything.

I disagree. My DNA (for daily functions) needs either a 5x fire button press to lock or unlock and the up/down buttons to change the wattage. No ritual needed and if you're brand new to DNA chips, the screen tells you if it's locked and what to do to change that.

The Vamo is slightly more difficult, for sure. You have to remember 3 (or is it 5? can't remember) gets you into the menu and what the menu options mean. Not nearly as complex as the Semovar or Provari.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I disagree. My DNA (for daily functions) needs either a 5x fire button press to lock or unlock and the up/down buttons to change the wattage. No ritual needed and if you're brand new to DNA chips, the screen tells you if it's locked and what to do to change that.

The Vamo is slightly more difficult, for sure. You have to remember 3 (or is it 5? can't remember) gets you into the menu and what the menu options mean. Not nearly as complex as the Semovar or Provari.

The vamo (v3, at least) requires 5x power button to lock/unlock. To get to the menu, you have to hold up and down buttons for a couple secs. Holding the down button tells you how much charge you have on the battery, and holding the up button tells you the resistance of the topper. When you hit the power button, it tells you how many volts/watts it's set at. No error codes, it pretty straight forwardly tells you what the problem is (the only one that isn't straight forward is "9.9 ohm" resistance reading meaning you have an open).

dylanlg2

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
My-PC
No one. There's a reason everyone who wants what you described buys a provari. Your next best option is going to be a box mod but as you said you don't want one of those there are no other options at this time.

Protovapor XPV(wheel and fire), ZNA, lavatube, etc.

To op: or you can build your own dna30 tube mod.

There is an actual purpose behind having a single button. Even mods with multiple buttons require some kind of ritual to get them to do anything. The reason is that we put these things in our pockets, or hold them in different fashions. You don't want your setting to change every time you pick your mod up.

I think you defeated your own argument.. the 'ritual' i think you were referring to unlocking/locking right? On a dna you hit two buttons simultaneously and hold them for a few sec in order to achieve this..
now with a provari if i am not mistaken you have to hit the button 5 times in semi-rapid succession? (at which sometimes you may fail to hit it rapidly enough, so you have to hit it 5 MORE times!?) yea..

tl;dr there are a few options for you as far as vv/vw tube mods with more than one button.. even though that is pretty specific..

don't let all this provarinati's brainwash you

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
one thing that often confuses me. difficult to operate PV? how? we're the generation that programmed our VCRs, have 1000 channels on our televisions and millions of apps available for our smart phones. by the time we type the sentence complaining about how difficult a particular PV might be and hit post quick reply, we've hit enough buttons to get us through two weeks of adjustments with any PV on the market.

mind. officially. blown.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
one thing that often confuses me. difficult to operate PV? how? we're the generation that programmed our VCRs, have 1000 channels on our televisions and millions of apps available for our smart phones. by the time we type the sentence complaining about how difficult a particular PV might be and hit post quick reply, we've hit enough buttons to get us through two weeks of adjustments with any PV on the market.

mind. officially. blown.

People are lazy...

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
People are lazy...

More like stubborn. Some people will find any reason to disparage a ProVari or Semovar. I know, I was one. I was guilty of contempt prior to investigation. Nothing that anyone could say could persuade me otherwise.

I had my MVP 2's and was convinced that my MVP 2's were just as good as a ProVari at 1/5th the cost. Didn't matter that I never tried one. (one hit off a friends doesn't really count does it?). I could come up with volumes on why ProVari owners were either foolish or elitists. Of course it couldn't be that they were thrilled with their device.....Because I was thrilled with mine....And we can't have both now can we? Someone has to be "wrong" right????

I went to a vape meet and actually held and vaped and felt the quality of a ProVari in my hands for the first time and walked away with one. Since that time, I bought two more, traded one of them for a mini and sold the other.

I use my ProVari's 99.9% of the time unless I'm travelling. Then my MVP's are my overnight companions. They simply travel easier than a ProVari. Their all in one design means I don't have to pack extra batteries, chargers, and cords (just my phone charger which I take already). I can vape on long car trips while charging using the passthrough feature and The MVP is close enough in vape quality to a ProVari that I don't miss the 'Vari too much.

But I can still tell the difference, and I like having something that I know I still will be using 3 years from now with no worries. After 3 years I expect my MVP's to be long dead, and I only hope Innokin doesn't screw up a good thing they have in the MVP....

Fathomrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
Costa Mesa ca
Here is the deal guys! The Provari is like the first super high quality device to hit the market post ego. It will always be revered as a "classic". I now own a Hana modz mini and I love it! But I will always have my original "og" Provari that I got back in my early days of vaping ( I now own four different :) ). Sure, fads come and go, but 10 years from now people will remember there Provari. The Provari design was so strong they haven't really had to change it all that much since inception and they are still selling strong.

Last edited:

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
Here is the deal guys! The Provari is like the first super high quality device to hit the market post ego. It will always be revered as a "classic". I now own a Hana modz mini and I love it! But I will always have my original "og" Provari that I got back in my early days of vaping ( I now own four different :) ). Sure, fads come and go, but 10 years from now people will remember there Provari. The Provari design was so strong they haven't really had to change it all that much since inception and they are still selling strong.

I get that. I just don't have that nostalgia, and expect something with a more contemporary feature set. But, I have a hard time buying that none of these companies can get the dna30 tube mods out at a decent pace, too.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I get that. I just don't have that nostalgia, and expect something with a more contemporary feature set. But, I have a hard time buying that none of these companies can get the dna30 tube mods out at a decent pace, too.

Getting the tube out isn't the bottleneck is most cases, there's probably tubes lined up to the moon waiting. It's getting the DNA30 chip to go in them that's usually the issue.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL

There are a great number of mods available today, but they don't have the proven track record of the ProVari.

If after 2 years there are DNA mods still out in the wild, or a company supporting those DNA mods (like Zen), then one could say that you have some sort of equivalence with ProVape and the ProVari.

I see people who are buying these mods are also buying DNA 30 chipsets as "spares" in case something happens. These are not the actions of people who are confident that the company will be there to support their mod long term.

The ProVari is not some sort of nostalgic device. It is really one of the few devices out there that combine high quality workmanship and components with a proven track record and a Company with a history of supporting it's products.

When you invest in a mod, you invest in the company behind it.

The Chinese companies are getting the message. The Russian 91% is a Chinese produced Kayfun Clone that bucks the trend of build cheap and sell cheap. They are starting to put more care and build quality into their upper tier products. These devices are clearly targeted at ProVape and the ProVari. That is why I am interested in the Sigelei 20W. It is clearly their most expensive offering to date. Have they added higher quality components or just a new chipset?.

I am also interested in the new Innokin offerings. They have established that they can put together decent quality products at a decent price. We'll see if they continue that trend. 2014 will be very exciting indeed if we can keep state governments from taxing the industry to death.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
The Chinese companies are getting the message. The Russian 91% is a Chinese produced Kayfun Clone that bucks the trend of build cheap and sell cheap. They are starting to put more care and build quality into their upper tier products. These devices are clearly targeted at ProVape and the ProVari. That is why I am interested in the Sigelei 20W. It is clearly their most expensive offering to date. Have they added higher quality components or just a new chipset?.

I am also interested in the new Innokin offerings. They have established that they can put together decent quality products at a decent price. We'll see if they continue that trend. 2014 will be very exciting indeed if we can keep state governments from taxing the industry to death.

First, those that buy extra chips are not necessarily expecting failure... Preparation doesn't mean you expect something bad to happen. It means you do not want to be caught unaware, should something bad occur. Some of us do not have an issue changing out a small circuit board. Rewiring an electronics test set that has a thousand white wires in it with tiny numbers to differentiate which wire it is (as opposed to color coding) can be a bit daunting. Swapping out a drop in chip is really pretty simple. Some people do not want to be out their mod for weeks/months waiting for a factory repair.

I have a Sig Sauer handgun, which is a really well made firearm. I have some spare parts (the ones more likely to wear out through use) for it, that have been sitting in a box for close to 20 years now. Considering the thousands of rounds I've put through it, I'm very pleased that I have not needed those parts, and it is a testament to its quality. It's not that I anticipate a failure, but I really do not want to not have the parts on hand to fix it, should I need them.

The Sigelei 20W does look pretty cool. Too bad it has that same single button design. Were it to be multi-button, I'd probably be buying it.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
The Chinese companies are getting the message. The Russian 91% is a Chinese produced Kayfun Clone that bucks the trend of build cheap and sell cheap. They are starting to put more care and build quality into their upper tier products. These devices are clearly targeted at ProVape and the ProVari.
What makes you think they are targeted specifically at ProVape and the ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread