Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In the interview, Senator Johnson says that personlized letters are a lot more effective than form letters, when writing to legislators.

Great Point nicnik.

BTW - When Sen. Johnson started to talk about the Correspondence he had received since his writing of the FDA Letter, I was waiting for him to Mention the ECF by Name.

Because I am sure that his Staffers have been Following the ECF closely.

nclobo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
Durham, NC
Thank you for Posting this nclobo.
My pleasure. I actually learned about the podcast through a White Cloud Webinar that was hosted today with Cynthia Cabrera as guest. Hopefully a replay of that will show up on youtube soon. It was very informative as well.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
In the interview, Senator Johnson says that personlized letters are a lot more effective than form letters, when writing to legislators.

Have not yet wrote Senator Johnson, but have several times made a point of 'sniping' the boiler plate and writing a short personal story of how vaping has improved someones life.

Keep it short as they are busy, but the more total letters is what counts!

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
SoundCloud/SFATA: I found the SFATA interview with David Sweanor from Tobacco Control fascinating. He delved into why certain people are so biased against ecigarettes. Morals, sin, prejudice, personal repugnance of cigarettes which, in their minds, are the same as cigarettes. A good listen. Most of all, the misconceptions and confusing data that is put out there by the media and ANTZ groups. Especially regarding nicotine. It gave me a better understanding as to WHY this is happening. I say to myself why isn't the media giving vaping a thumbs up. Because the media is misinformed, uses it as an absolute and voila we have BS.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
To make my point regarding misconceptions, I googled nicotine. The dichotomy was striking when regards to nicotine in BP gum and in then in other forms as ecigarettes.
When it came to the gum we get this:

Advertisement for Nicorette Gum:
NICOTINE IS NOT
THE CAUSE OF OTHER
SMOKING-RELATED DISEASES.

It is the myriad of toxins in cigarette smoke, rather than the nicotine content, that are the cause of chronic lung disease, heart disease and other disorders.
  • NICOTINE IS NOT
    CARCINOGENIC.
  • Nicotine is not proven to cause cancer. There are more than 4,000 other chemicals in cigarette smoke, many of which are known to cause cancer.
Then This:

https:// www. verywell. com/nicotine-facts-you-should-know-2825019
  • Research has uncovered a link between nicotine and vascular smooth muscle cell damage, contributing to the formation of plaques that lead to heart disease.Nicotine slows the production of bone-producing cells called osteoblasts. This prolongs healing when bones are broken.
  • Nicotine inhibits apoptosis, a process that removes unwanted cells in the body (programmed cell death). Since some of the cells targeted by apoptosis are mutations that may become cancerous in the future, inhibiting this important function may contribute to life-threatening diseases.
  • Smoking is a known risk factor for degenerative disc disease. Nicotine and carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke hinder spinal disc cells from absorbing vital nutrients in blood, which in turn leads to premature dehydration and degeneration of spinal discs.
Nicotine is among the most toxic of all poisons and is highly addictive.
It is a mistake to think that using nicotine in a form that doesn't involve cigarettes is harmless. Products like smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes may be considered less harmful when compared to cigarette smoking, but they carry considerable health hazards as well. And don't forget, while nicotine addiction is actively engaged, ex-smokers are at a heightened risk for a full-fledged smoking relapse . (This gets worse)

These are just a few of the conflicting stories out there. No wonder outsiders are anti-ecigarette. The FDA, CDC, ALA are doing a monumental dis-service to us and the general public. The proof is out there but yet the deny and demonize. There is an ulterior motive. Concealment, a hidden covert secret. They are willingly trying to destroy our personal right to pursue a pathway that is KNOWN to be safer than inhaling burnt tobacco yet they DENY US. Personal agendas and moral grounds are NOT scientific. They are dangerous to the people they are suppose to represent. There is no "We the People". "THEY" are the self-righteous people who know better than us, will protect us, guide us - 6 feet under. Damn them. Amen
OMG Who do I sound like? It's a right wing conspiracy. HRH Hillary

Last edited by a moderator:

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
My simple letter just sent to the Senator and Committee ...

Dear Sirs,

I would like to personally thank you for the inquiry sent to FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf, MD regarding FDA Deeming ecigarette regulations.

My parents both died early from complications of smoking. I myself smoked from the age of 13 to the age of 50. I never imagined I would be able to quit and had long resigned myself to likely getting sick and dying from smoking. No one was more amazed than me, when trying ecigarettes in 2009 and successfully quitting smoking altogether a short time later. It was literally, an unexpected new lease on life. Both my wife and I have not had any regular cigarettes since October of 2009. My lungs cleared up and my sense of smell returned over a period of a few months while using ecigarettes. I became very enthused about ecigarettes at the time because I realized what a huge, positive difference they could make in my life and literally millions of other smokers lives.

Then I started noticing that the FDA, other departments of the government and medical organizations all started targeting ecigarettes as a dangerous product to be avoided at all costs. Throughout 2010, I watched as the FDA tried unsuccessfully to ban ecigarettes in the USA by declaring them a 'combination drug, delivery device'. I read about the countless confiscations and raids of ecigarette products by US Customs dept., even though this was a perfectly legal product. I became very active in explaining to however many people I could, online and in person, how the information portrayed about ecigarettes in the mainstream media was just plain wrong. At this time, I must say, my eyes were opened for the first time, to witness the US Government working hand in hand with large, powerful medical organizations and corporations to eliminate ecigarette use entirely, even though the early facts showed that this product could save tens of millions of lives.

I learned firsthand, about government policy, about government over reach, about a government agency dedicated to improving the health of Americans, staunchly opposing a product that could do just that, all because that product was beyond their system of control and that product disrupted the current business model surrounding tobacco use, the illnesses caused by tobacco use and the vested interests that profit into the billions of dollars from the continuation of the status quo. I have not looked at my government the same way, ever since then.

I became less active in advocating ecigarettes and was happily comfortable using them over the ensuing years. The products provided by the ecigarette market improved dramatically from the early, crude and expensive models. I had mostly forgotten about the struggle with the FDA, over Americans continued access to this incredible product. Then in 2016, I was jolted by the news of the FDA passing regulations that will in fact and without question decimate the entire ecigarette industry, by removing 99.99 percent of the products on the shelves today due to FDA choice to use Feb, 2007 as the deeming date of the regulations. This is nothing short of prohibition and no one involved believes the FDA does not know exactly what it is doing. FDA has, through regulatory power, destroyed an entire industry, one that was created for the sole purpose of people being able to use nicotine in a product similar to cigarettes, that did not carry the health risks of cigarettes. The final and most perversely cruel result of this FDA prohibition is to hand 100% of the market share of the multibillion dollar ecigarette industry to the very companies that ecigarettes were meant to provide an alternative to, the tobacco companies. They are the only stakeholders with the resources to conduct business with ecigarettes under the current FDA regulations. Any suggestion that these simple facts are not true is merely subterfuge, meant to distract people from the truth.

None of the esmokers or the manufacturers and retailers of ecigarettes would oppose any sensible regulations. We all want a safe, high quality alternative to smoking tobacco. It is my sincerest hope that it is not too late to arrive at sensible regulations for ecigarette products. Many lives depend upon it, many jobs depend upon it and the trust, of average Americans, just like myself, depend upon it. I know I am not alone when I applaud your communications to the FDA and strongly encourage your effort to help us all, in settling on some commonsense regulations for the revolutionary ecigarette industry.

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario

Dear Sirs,

I would like to personally thank you for the inquiry sent to FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf, MD regarding FDA Deeming ecigarette regulations.

My parents both died early from complications of smoking. I myself smoked from the age of 13 to the age of 50. I never imagined I would be able to quit and had long resigned myself to likely getting sick and dying from smoking. No one was more amazed than me, when trying ecigarettes in 2009 and successfully quitting smoking altogether a short time later. It was literally, an unexpected new lease on life. Both my wife and I have not had any regular cigarettes since October of 2009. My lungs cleared up and my sense of smell returned over a period of a few months while using ecigarettes. I became very enthused about ecigarettes at the time because I realized what a huge, positive difference they could make in my life and literally millions of other smokers lives.

Then I started noticing that the FDA, other departments of the government and medical organizations all started targeting ecigarettes as a dangerous product to be avoided at all costs. Throughout 2010, I watched as the FDA tried unsuccessfully to ban ecigarettes in the USA by declaring them a 'combination drug, delivery device'. I read about the countless confiscations and raids of ecigarette products by US Customs dept., even though this was a perfectly legal product. I became very active in explaining to however many people I could, online and in person, how the information portrayed about ecigarettes in the mainstream media was just plain wrong. At this time, I must say, my eyes were opened for the first time, to witness the US Government working hand in hand with large, powerful medical organizations and corporations to eliminate ecigarette use entirely, even though the early facts showed that this product could save tens of millions of lives.

I learned firsthand, about government policy, about government over reach, about a government agency dedicated to improving the health of Americans, staunchly opposing a product that could do just that, all because that product was beyond their system of control and that product disrupted the current business model surrounding tobacco use, the illnesses caused by tobacco use and the vested interests that profit into the billions of dollars from the continuation of the status quo. I have not looked at my government the same way, ever since then.

I became less active in advocating ecigarettes and was happily comfortable using them over the ensuing years. The products provided by the ecigarette market improved dramatically from the early, crude and expensive models. I had mostly forgotten about the struggle with the FDA, over Americans continued access to this incredible product. Then in 2016, I was jolted by the news of the FDA passing regulations that will in fact and without question decimate the entire ecigarette industry, by removing 99.99 percent of the products on the shelves today due to FDA choice to use Feb, 2007 as the deeming date of the regulations. This is nothing short of prohibition and no one involved believes the FDA does not know exactly what it is doing. FDA has, through regulatory power, destroyed an entire industry, one that was created for the sole purpose of people being able to use nicotine in a product similar to cigarettes, that did not carry the health risks of cigarettes. The final and most perversely cruel result of this FDA prohibition is to hand 100% of the market share of the multibillion dollar ecigarette industry to the very companies that ecigarettes were meant to provide an alternative to, the tobacco companies. They are the only stakeholders with the resources to conduct business with ecigarettes under the current FDA regulations. Any suggestion that these simple facts are not true is merely subterfuge, meant to distract people from the truth.

None of the esmokers or the manufacturers and retailers of ecigarettes would oppose any sensible regulations. We all want a safe, high quality alternative to smoking tobacco. It is my sincerest hope that it is not too late to arrive at sensible regulations for ecigarette products. Many lives depend upon it, many jobs depend upon it and the trust, of average Americans, just like myself, depend upon it. I know I am not alone when I applaud your communications to the FDA and strongly encourage your effort to help us all, in settling on some commonsense regulations for the revolutionary ecigarette industry.

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin

OMG, excellent thought out write-up, it shows him what he's doing means A lot to you...I simply stated "if he were standing beside me right now I'd give him a full on mouth kiss(no tongue though) and I was able to kick a 40 yr habit using the electronics" Cheers.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
To make my point regarding misconceptions, I googled nicotine. The dichotomy was striking when regards to nicotine in BP gum and in then in other forms as ecigarettes.
When it came to the gum we get this:

Advertisement for Nicorette Gum:
NICOTINE IS NOT
THE CAUSE OF OTHER
SMOKING-RELATED DISEASES.

It is the myriad of toxins in cigarette smoke, rather than the nicotine content, that are the cause of chronic lung disease, heart disease and other disorders.
  • NICOTINE IS NOT
    CARCINOGENIC.
  • Nicotine is not proven to cause cancer. There are more than 4,000 other chemicals in cigarette smoke, many of which are known to cause cancer.
Then This:

https:// www. verywell. com/nicotine-facts-you-should-know-2825019
  • Research has uncovered a link between nicotine and vascular smooth muscle cell damage, contributing to the formation of plaques that lead to heart disease.Nicotine slows the production of bone-producing cells called osteoblasts. This prolongs healing when bones are broken.
  • Nicotine inhibits apoptosis, a process that removes unwanted cells in the body (programmed cell death). Since some of the cells targeted by apoptosis are mutations that may become cancerous in the future, inhibiting this important function may contribute to life-threatening diseases.
  • Smoking is a known risk factor for degenerative disc disease. Nicotine and carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke hinder spinal disc cells from absorbing vital nutrients in blood, which in turn leads to premature dehydration and degeneration of spinal discs.
Nicotine is among the most toxic of all poisons and is highly addictive.
It is a mistake to think that using nicotine in a form that doesn't involve cigarettes is harmless. Products like smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes may be considered less harmful when compared to cigarette smoking, but they carry considerable health hazards as well. And don't forget, while nicotine addiction is actively engaged, ex-smokers are at a heightened risk for a full-fledged smoking relapse . (This gets worse)

These are just a few of the conflicting stories out there. No wonder outsiders are anti-ecigarette. The FDA, CDC, ALA are doing a monumental dis-service to us and the general public. The proof is out there but yet the deny and demonize. There is an ulterior motive. Concealment, a hidden covert secret. They are willingly trying to destroy our personal right to pursue a pathway that is KNOWN to be safer than inhaling burnt tobacco yet they DENY US. Personal agendas and moral grounds are NOT scientific. They are dangerous to the people they are suppose to represent. There is no "We the People". "THEY" are the self-righteous people who know better than us, will protect us, guide us - 6 feet under. Damn them. Amen
OMG Who do I sound like? It's a right wing conspiracy. HRH Hillary

Wow!
There's corruption and then there's deadly corruption. We always seem to get hit with the latter.
Great post. Please repost it elsewhere, or maybe start a new thread with it.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Dear Sirs,

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin
Great letter. Thanks for sending it, and thanks for sharing it.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015

Dear Sirs,

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin
What a great honest, humble and eye opening letter. You expressed what so many of us feel in that. Kudos my fellow vaper! :)

What a great honest, humble and eye opening letter. You expressed what so many of us feel in that. Kudos my fellow vaper! :)
Thank You! Happy to share my experience, strength and hope as one vaper among many. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Dear Sirs,

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin

What an Outstanding letter rwoodin!

Right On.

:thumb:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Dear Sirs,

Thank You Kindly,

Ralph Woodin

Eloquently said :thumb:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
tumblr_m8e4gxH35a1rdocwzo1_500.gif

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-25_22-15-22.png
    upload_2016-5-25_22-15-22.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 36

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
From his letter to Robert Califf :

According to Christian Berkey, the Chief Executive Officer of Johnson Creek Vapor Company located in Hartland, Wisconsin, the FDA e-cigarette regulations would “extinguish a multi-billion dollar industry and put tens of thousands of people out of business.” Mr. Berkey also stated that the new FDA rule would have more than just a burdensome impact on the e-cigarette industry, the effect of the rule would be “catastrophic.” In its regulatory analysis, the FDA itself acknowledged that the cost of the rule “would be high enough to expect additional product exit, consolidation, and reduction in variety compared with the baseline.”

This is the same Christian Berkey who had this to say a few days after the issuance of the proposed deemings ( a substantially similar document to the final version ) in April 2014 :

“It’s a great day,” says Christian Berkey, CEO of Johnson Creek, a leading maker of electronic cigarette liquid based in Wisconsin..... “People worried the regulations would be unreasonable and onerous,” says Berkey. “What we are seeing is they are not.” Upon seeing the FDA’s proposed rules today, the businesses are cheering. They see the proposal as a signal that the agency plans to take a business-friendly approach.

E-Cig Execs Are Actually Thrilled With New FDA Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread