Serious Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

glen327

Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
OKC, OK
I have recently started DIY and bought a crap load of supplies. It seems like everything I make taste nothing like what I can buy. I don't know if I am not using the sweetner right. I like fruit flavors and tobacco. My favorite is Pear. Highbrow vapor has the pear that I have known to love. I bought ten different pear flavors and none of them resemble theirs. TPA, FlavourArt, Flavor West I can't seem to match Highbrow's. Any suggestions? The only sweetner I have is from TPA and I am not sure if it is good quality or I just don't know the right dosage. Also, I like AVE Bobas pretty good. Thanks for your help.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Some of the easiest DIY flavoring I've found to use are Vapingzone's Super Concentrated flavors. They all mix around 2 to 2.5 % and taste real good. DIY-Flavoring-Alcohol Base | E Liquid Flavoring-Alcohol Base - E Cig : Joye eGo & eGo-T | Boge Leo | Cartomizers | E-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes | eGo Tank
Also I haven't used any sweeteners with their flavors. Most of these taste good with a day or two of steeping, but the Island Tobacco has to steep 2 weeks before it tastes right.

Also how long have your mixes been steeping? Sometimes they have to steep awhile before the flavor comes out.

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
I also started with DIY recently. I have 40 different flavors right now. The juices i make taste different of those that i bought ready made. But i think that is logically. Currently i only try the single favors. I don't mix more than 1 flavor. That way i can get an idea of how that single flavor tastes. When i have a bit more experience built up this way i will start mixing 2 or more flavor together.
I think the ready made flavors you buy contain more than just 1 single flavor. That way the 'pure' taste is altered.
For example the FA Cam Blend juice i just mixed tastes okay by itself. But i think if i add just a bit of caramel and honey to it, it will have a taste that will come closer to the ones you can buy ready made.

Just continue to experiment with the flavors that you have. When you get a hold of how a single flavor tastes, you can start combining flavors that you like. Just have some patience. It will take a while before you'll find your all-day-vape magical flavor that you DIY.

And have a look around in this forum and the DIY subforums. You will find great information there about mixing different flavor together. A great source for learning how to make your own juices.

I hope this motivates you a bit.:blush:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I have recently started DIY and bought a crap load of supplies. It seems like everything I make taste nothing like what I can buy. I don't know if I am not using the sweetner right. I like fruit flavors and tobacco. My favorite is Pear. Highbrow vapor has the pear that I have known to love. I bought ten different pear flavors and none of them resemble theirs. TPA, FlavourArt, Flavor West I can't seem to match Highbrow's. Any suggestions? The only sweetner I have is from TPA and I am not sure if it is good quality or I just don't know the right dosage. Also, I like AVE Bobas pretty good. Thanks for your help.

I debated responding because what I infer from this may not be true and my response may not be taken well...

I get a feeling that you've equated DIY mixing to making a cake from a box. As already pointed out, pear is sometimes pear but usually more than just pear. I'll give an example: I have a recipe I call White Peach that tastes as close to biting into a Mich. White Peach as vapor will allow. The main flavoring is FA's White Peach, but even with that knowledge and if you could guess/figure-out the exact % of that flavoring, yours would taste nothing like mine. There are other things in there that bring out the good points of FA's flavoring and things that mute the bad points of FA's flavoring.

I created the recipe by getting kinda' close to what I wanted and then experimented from there until it was perfect to me. And if you're going for a specific taste, that's pretty much how DIY mixing goes. (It goes that way so typically that I don't even use other people's recipes except as a starting point, if even that much.) I'll bet dollars to donuts that Iffy's recipe for pear was obtained the same way. It may seem silly, but the "1 drop/3ml" addition can make a world of difference. So much of a difference I even did a blog about it that I call Unicorn Tears and Butterfly Farts. (I titled it differently so blog browsers wouldn't open the thing expecting a short story on crying unicorns and gassy butterflys though.)

So, if you were expecting to mix a box of X with 2 eggs and a few ml's of oil and get vendor H's carrot cake, you're heading to a land of frustration. If you know what you want and can get kinda' close then don't mind shredding a few carrots, then DIY mixing can be rewarding. (Hint: Start with Iffy's recipe and go from there if it isn't perfect.)

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
I appreciate all of your help. I am going to try some of these things that you all pointed out. It gets so frustrating sometimes because you want something that taste good for the money you just spent instead of pouring it down the drain.

Don't pour it down the drain. Let it sit for a looong time. It might improve.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Welcome to the world of DIY. LOTS of trial and error. The vendors most likely have made many many many batches of juice that weren't "just right" before they got the mix correct. It's also very likely that the pear you are trying to recreate isn't JUST pear and has some % of other flavours mixed in. Who knows, maybe they added a drop of caramel, a pinch of apple, a little bit of "butterfly fart", etc etc.

Don't expect to just take a single flavour, mix it at a standard %, and get the same results from a premix. Lots of testing, lots of notes. None of it is a waste of money, it's all a learning experience and it takes time. And don't throw that juice out, let it steep, in a month it may end up being something you love.

Ed* A quick example, I just tried a (4 drips on the atty) 100% mix of "red bull", it tasted a little off, so I added a single drop of a 100% marshmallow mix I have. The flavour improved. Now I know that I personally like a little mallow in my redbull. It's not a "perfect mix" but it's getting there, and I can use it as a baseline for the next batch.

Last edited:

jb0nez

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Kaneohe
I came to this side of the forum wondering how I could recreate my two favorite flavors from a vendor, on the cheap. I absolutely love Mango and Kekeo Coffee from americaneliquids, but I vape it so quick it's too costly. I use super low nicotine (6mg/ml) and also want to go even lower- 3mg/ml. Eventually to be vaping 0mg/ml just for the taste and fun of it. I read the stickies and lots of posts, but this one pretty much tells me what I need to know -- I won't be able to recreate exactly those two delicious flavors. I might be able to make something tasty after some experimentation, but money is too tight for that. I guess I'll keep buying my two flavors from AEL, and maybe buy a 6mg/ml and a 0mg/ml of each, and just mix it down to 3mg/ml myself.

Blaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Syracuse, New York, United States
yeah i have been experimenting with DIY for the past couple months and one thing i have come to learn they all arent gonna taste exactly how you hoped but sometimes mixing something else with what you started with can turn out to be something you really like... what i do to experiment is make 4-5 10mil bottles of single flavors and then will take my syringe and mix a half mil of each kind in a separate bottle, starting with a couple flavors at a time then mix good and test on an atty, if the mix is good i leave it, if i think it needs something more ill keep adding until happy. In the end if the flavor does not seem to work for me i will put it in a dark area and go back every week and taste test and you will start to see how much the flavors change after sitting, sometimes its for the worse sometimes its for the better! All in all everyones taste buds are different you just need to mix what taste good to you so that you are happy :) (unless you have friends who vape, they may love something you hate!) if anyone would like any tips or anything feel free to pm me... mix of all time for me so far is what i call wildberrry apples- blueberry,strawberry,raspberry,red apple, green apple. i do 1 even part of each flavor except 2 parts of the blueberry and after a week steep its so incredible!!

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
what i do to experiment is make 4-5 10mil bottles of single flavors and then will take my syringe and mix a half mil of each kind in a separate bottle, starting with a couple flavors at a time then mix good and test on an atty, if the mix is good i leave it, if i think it needs something more ill keep adding until happy.

That is actually a good idea i did not think of before. In my mind i was mixing a few drops of this with a few drops of that and put this into my base. But mixing the ready made single flavors works much better i believe. Thanks Blaine for this little insight.

Blaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Syracuse, New York, United States
anytime glad i could help!! i used to do the same thing your doing, untill one day i was like hmmm i decided to take all the flavorings i had and make them single flavors then try a vape of each, the ones i liked i left alone, the ones i didnt like or that were to bland for my taste buds i would mix.. that way nothing has to be dumped down the drain cept for a couple mils if the mix was nasty and its less transferring of all of all your nic,pg,vg,and flavor. :) and your nic will still be the same MG by mixing the pre-made flavors, because if you keep adding drops of diff flavors to your mixture your nic lvl will keep dropping and in the end you wont even know what your nic lvl is unless you keep track of all the diff ml or drops of diff flavors your adding :) this method just seemed to save me alot of time, but this might not be the way other people would recommend doing it, its just the way i prefer to :)

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
I came to this side of the forum wondering how I could recreate my two favorite flavors from a vendor, on the cheap. I absolutely love Mango and Kekeo Coffee from americaneliquids, but I vape it so quick it's too costly. I use super low nicotine (6mg/ml) and also want to go even lower- 3mg/ml. Eventually to be vaping 0mg/ml just for the taste and fun of it. I read the stickies and lots of posts, but this one pretty much tells me what I need to know -- I won't be able to recreate exactly those two delicious flavors. I might be able to make something tasty after some experimentation, but money is too tight for that. I guess I'll keep buying my two flavors from AEL, and maybe buy a 6mg/ml and a 0mg/ml of each, and just mix it down to 3mg/ml myself.

Do they do double strength? Or, at least, extra strength? You can then dilute it.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Don't pour it down the drain. Let it sit for a looong time. It might improve.

THIS! When I first started DIY a little over a month ago I made a few tobacco mixes... After a week of steeping they were still just perfumey and awful. Now, over a MONTH later, they are really tasting good. I have one that tastes identical to the way an unlit Marlboro smells, and another that is similar, but has a caramel note, so it's a good base for an RY4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread