seriously! how many drops per ml?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
So how does anyone lock in flavors without making 30ml+ test batches?

Well, my 1ml syringes are marked every 0.02ml (that's 50 drops per ml in drip-speak), but I often drip when working on a new flavoring. I take that specific flavoring and the dropper I'm using and drip into a graduated cylinder and count the number of drops to reach 3ml. After I divide my count by 3 I have a pretty good idea what that flavoring and that dropper produce for drops/ml.

I've done that enough to know that there is no accurate answer to the question often asked here, "How many drops per ml?"

drewdripsalot

Jul 2, 2014
La Habra, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Cross Posting - Rules
a scale and a program that displays your %'s in grams

no drops, no eyeballing a syringe, no fluid dynamics... none of it matters...

it just doesn't get any easier

I agree, that is the most accurate and foolproof method. But for people starting out, purchasing a high resolution scale and converting volume-based recipes to mass-based may be a bit more than they are ready to do. In that case, syringes are next best. And OTH, if you are experienced enough and use the same equipment and ingredients between recipes, drops can provide the level of accuracy required for your purposes.

But the fluid mechanics discussion will be solely for the purpose of entertaining geeks that like to pick things apart for the sake of the mental exercise. That is why it will not be a response to this or similar threads from people that just want a basic answer to a question.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
Problem with syringes is they don't hold up long to the solvents in flavoring. They work great for measuring nic, vg and pg but even for measuring your mixed juice they wont last very long. If you don't mind throwing them away frequently they are fairly accurate and more reliable. The cheaper the syringe however the less accurate the markings as with glass beakers and such. There are also different grades of pipettes such as the cheap disposable type and the polystyrene which are used with a pump. The ones you throw away are less accurate but if you put 20 drops it would likely be the difference of -/+1 drop. And then you have droppers which the size of the dropper will vary the size of the droplet.

My two cents...drops are inaccurate and should be banded from this forum. Syringes (1 ml) are much more accurate. I posted the same question about a month or so ago...and got similar responses. Using a scale honestly just blew me away, I didn't want things to get so complicated and buy more stuff...before I knew I could even be successful at DIY to begin with. Syringes are accurate, they are designed to deliver small doses of medicine. For instance, insulin...where the difference in 0.1ml could kill a person. Go with syringes, forget about drops.

Last edited:

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
Syringes are accurate, they are designed to deliver small doses of medicine. For instance, insulin...where the difference in 0.1ml could kill a person. Go with syringes, forget about drops.

This study says otherwise.
Accuracy and reproducibility of low dose insulin administration using pen-injectors and syringes -- Gnanalingham et al. 79 (1): 59 -- Archives of Disease in Childhood

And here is the accuracy as stated by a manufacturer directly.
Hamilton Company | Hamilton Microlab 600 | Technical Information | Syringe Accuracy & Precision

The more you pay the more accurate you will typically get so don't just think a syringe is a syringe.

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Quotable, yet mostly worthless link - Drop (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Usable information for us DIY types - How I make small and manageable test batches:

Given a sample batch size of 20 drops, then
1 drop of flavor is 5% (19 drops base + 1 drop of flavoring = 20 drops)
2 drops is 10% (18 drops base + 2 drops flavoring = 20 drops)
3 drops is 15% (you get the idea)

One must use the same size dispenser (drop maker) for base and flavor.

This is a basic example. Double it or halve it and calculate your own percentages.

Need 0.1? place 9 drops of base in small bottle along with 1 drop of flavoring. Shake well!! Now, one drop of this is 0.1 drop of the flavoring.
YMMV !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread