Seriously, what does happen to the PV & VG in your lungs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
Millers Creek, NC, USA
Does this stuff absorb into your lungs? Does it just build up? Does it just go away? Don't take those questions as bashing vaping in any way but I am curious and in all of the posts I have read about how it affects people differently, I have yet to see a definitive answer about it. I know that the VG & PG that is used is FDA approved but when I see any information about the two, it is usually in reference to it's use in food and drinks and not in the context of inhaling the vapor of them. OK, let's hear it!

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
That film on your windshield is water soluable. So is the vapor that creates it. Your body deals with it fairly quickly and it processes out of your body in a day or so... if you vape an insane amount like 30ml a day, it'll take a bit longer.

No, it is not water soluble.
But still it is possible that body can digest it. Good topic for CASAA-financed study.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
VG and PG are definitely water soluable. That's what made them historically good antifreeze compounds. They're both (pharmaceutical and food grade, anyhow) considered non toxic. People that say you're vaping antifreeze are wrong. Once upon a time, both propylene glycol and glycerols (including vg) were used as components in antifreeze. They've also been used in food and medicine for a long time. Check out Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
VG and PG are definitely water soluable. That's what made them historically good antifreeze compounds. They're both (pharmaceutical and food grade, anyhow) considered non toxic. People that say you're vaping antifreeze are wrong. Once upon a time, both propylene glycol and glycerols (including vg) were used as components in antifreeze. They've also been used in food and medicine for a long time. Check out Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PG and VG are solubel, film on a windshield - not.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire

If the film on your windshield isn't water solvable, then I would suggest it's from more than just vaping. I've fogged up the interior window (driver's side) of my car with vapor film many times, and successfully cleaned it off with nothing more than a moist napkin. Pretty easy to do, actually. Much much much easier than cleaning cig stains,

Shotglass

Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Houston, TX
That film on your windshield is water soluable.

No, it is not water soluble.

What are the sources for the above opinions?

This:
If the film on your windshield isn't water solvable, then I would suggest it's from more than just vaping. I've fogged up the interior window (driver's side) of my car with vapor film many times, and successfully cleaned it off with nothing more than a moist napkin. Pretty easy to do, actually. Much much much easier than cleaning cig stains,

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I don't know exactly what happens to glycerin and propylene glycol in the lungs but consider this for laughs.

E-liquid ingredients: glycerin, propylene glycol, water, nicotine, various and sundry flavorings intended to be eaten and not necessarily inhaled.

Astroglide Liquid (personal lube) ingredients: water, glycerin, propylene glycol, polyquaternium 15, methylparaben, propylparaben. (note: the last three ingredients are preservatives)

:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Racehorse

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada

You haven't proven water insolubility. Salt is water soluble but if you let salt water evaporate salt'll build up on the surface. Same goes for your cold windshield. Water condensates then evaporates and leaves a residue - if this residue can be redissolved in water it's still water soluble.

Shotglass

Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Houston, TX
For the OP's original question:

Propylene glycol:
little evidence is available on the rate of absorption;
metabolizes fairly quickly;
high concentrations fed to rats showed changes in their blood which indicated that red blood cells were being destroyed.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/ard/documents/ard-ehp-12.pdf
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=12&po=14

Still looking for information on vegetable glycerin

Edit: What I think of when I read "high concentrations" is an amount that is equivalent to more than several people would ingest in multiple lifetimes.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
For the OP's original question:
Propylene glycol (not food grade) - little evidence is available on the rate of absorption; metabolizes fairly quickly; high concentrations fed to rats showed changes in their blood which indicated that red blood cells were being destroyed.
http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/ard/documents/ard-ehp-12.pdf
Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Toxicity: What is Propylene Glycol | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM
Still looking for information on vegetable glycerin
Look for Glycerin USP, which is pharmaceutical grade glycerin in the USA. All Glycerin USP I know of is produced from vegetable matter, palm kernel to be exact. The origin of Glycerin USP has been the same for many years. Palm kernel is used because it can be imported cheaply from the developing world. Glycerin can be made from countless source materials but economics make palm trees the first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread